CLOSED - 750: Round 1: Take Care v. Life After Death

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album would you like to see advance?
Take Care
30%
 30%  [6]
Life After Death
70%
 70%  [14]
Total Votes : 20

Precedent

• Posted: 11/02/2014 21:12
  • Post subject: CLOSED - 750: Round 1: Take Care v. Life After Death
Captain: Precedent

Take Care by Drake

v.

Captain: HigherThanTheSun

Life After Death by The Notorious B.I.G.

Last edited by Precedent on 11/09/2014 00:19; edited 1 time in total
Kiki

• Posted: 11/02/2014 21:15
  • Post subject:
Take Care has to get passed the first round. Shocked It would be disappointment otherwise.
Precedent

• Posted: 11/02/2014 21:17
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:
Take Care has to get passed the first round. Shocked It would be disappointment otherwise.

Haha, I hope so!

Take Care

This is my favorite album of all-time, every track is a banger. It's much more than just that though, it's an incredibly personal album that maintains this level of honesty that few (if any) albums touch. It has the ideal sound for me, the ideal lyrics, and the ideal way of presenting these lyrics. It's difficult to translate what this album is for me, but it's basically my life in an album. I still really like Life After Death and after listening to it today I realized that Biggie is one of the best, but really, nothing touches Take Care.
eyezayzay

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2014 21:24
  • Post subject:
Life After Death is Biggie's best IMO and it's pretty great. Drake is solid but solid isn't good enough when you're paired against LAD.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 11/02/2014 21:54
  • Post subject:
eyezayzay wrote:
Drake is solid but solid isn't good enough when you're paired against LAD.

RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 11/03/2014 02:08
  • Post subject:
It's Life After Death and they're not even in the same temporal plane.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 11/03/2014 16:32
  • Post subject:
Take Care is boring melodrama. Life After Death, while too long, is the better album here
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 11/03/2014 16:53
  • Post subject:
I think both are very lumbering, overbloated, and they're from two artists that I struggle to enjoy as much as they are praised.

I'm going to have to give it to Biggie though. Drake to me always feels like his ideas and sounds are too big for him, like he doesn't fit, or he's always just one step behind another artist. Biggie's music, on the other hand, is totally effortless - I doubt he even gave a damn when he was in the proccess of being shot, and this album is why I believe that.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/03/2014 17:31
  • Post subject:
I love both of these records. Drake may be the closest thing I have to a guilty pleasure in my regular listening behaviour, being an artist who I know is completely insincere and just saying what he thinks his fans want to hear, and yet I still love his music. Take Care is quite easily his best record, a coherent record that walks the thin line between hip-hop and R'n'B, shrouded in atmospheric production which matches Drake's tales of lost love and empty materialistic pleasures. Yes, he's an extremely contradictory artist who can't decide whether he hates or loves women/fame/money, but on songs like 'Marvin's Room' or 'Over My Dead Body' I can completely forgive him his many sins because they're just really fucking great songs. And 'Headlines' and 'H.Y.F.R.' are two of my all-time favourite party anthems, songs which instantly light up a dancefloor and encourage the sort of boorish shoutalongs without which parties would be incomplete. Yes, the record's probably too long, and at times Drake comes across as horribly slimy, but I guess those are just the excesses of Drake, and are therefore ironically the exact things that make Take Care his most powerful album - they actually reveal something about the man behind the contradictions and the hollow lines; Drake sees himself as a genius, one capable of making a sprawling hip-hop album that sounds like a cross between Aaliyah and Lil' Wayne, and that attempts to show every side of his personality (including those which he made up for show). It might not be perfect, it might not be sincere, but it's very much an album in its maker's image. Which, incidentally, is more than can be said for Life After Death, which feels just a little too smooth and poppy compared to its superior predecessor, but which still stands as one of my favourite hip-hop albums. This album is as much about Puffy's pop sensibilities as it is about Biggie's rapping ('Hypnotize' would be a shadow of the song it is in somebody else's hands, to give just one example), but that works for this record. It doesn't feel quite as personal overall as Ready To Die, nor does it have the same sort of focus that made that album play out like a movie, and it is definitely too long, but it's difficult to deny any record that contains the aforementioned 'Hypnotize', 'Mo Money, Mo Problems', 'Notorious Thugs', 'Ten Crack Commandments', 'Going Back to Cali', 'Sky's the Limit' (!), etcetera etcetera. Biggie is one of the most natural, charismatic rappers of all-time, an artist who spit rugged rhymes with an impeccably smooth flow, and his two studio albums stand tall as two of the best albums of all-time. Life After Death might not be as good as Ready to Die, but it's still a better album than Drake's (admittedly excellent) best.
RepoMan

• Posted: 11/03/2014 18:50
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
... being an artist who I know is completely insincere and just saying what he thinks his fans want to hear,

I feel the same way despite not knowing anything about Drake. I started listening to it before the tourney because it's Precedent's favorite, and I knew it would probably take some spins to grow on me. Alas, it kind of repels me in its flagrant insincere sincerity. At this point, it's my least favorite album in the entire tourney so far. Sad