Release Dates

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/06/2014 14:49
  • Post subject: Release Dates
I know this has already been brought up before somewhere, but for real, this needs to be sorted.

WHY the last 10 years? Why not just this current year? I mean, I get it if you're like "oh it's a 2014 release but it might not have already been released" and thus supplying a release date means future releases can easily be found on the database.

But for real, it's annoying when I'm adding an album from the past 10 years and I have to *keep* adding a release date, I really don't see the point in it. I also heard something about those albums from the past 10 years that don't have a release date will be flagged for deletion? I really don't get this.

Basically I find it incredibly stupid that we have this release date for anything other than the current year. That is all.

kthxbai.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2014 17:36
  • Post subject: Re: Release Dates
SuedeSwede wrote:
I know this has already been brought up before somewhere, but for real, this needs to be sorted.

WHY the last 10 years? Why not just this current year? I mean, I get it if you're like "oh it's a 2014 release but it might not have already been released" and thus supplying a release date means future releases can easily be found on the database.

But for real, it's annoying when I'm adding an album from the past 10 years and I have to *keep* adding a release date, I really don't see the point in it. I also heard something about those albums from the past 10 years that don't have a release date will be flagged for deletion? I really don't get this.

Basically I find it incredibly stupid that we have this release date for anything other than the current year. That is all.

kthxbai.

Again....

Nothing is going to be deleted. They are being flagged so that the people who are doing all the hard work of implementing this (previously discussed and user approved) change can find the albums. If you don't like it, you can ignore it...it will change absolutely nothing if you do.

Or, you can take a few minutes once in a while and help out.

Either way...it's really nothing to be so upset about.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/06/2014 17:40
Romanelli wrote:
Again....

Nothing is going to be deleted. They are being flagged so that the people who are doing all the hard work of implementing this (previously discussed and user approved) change can find the albums. If you don't like it, you can ignore it...it will change absolutely nothing if you do.

Or, you can take a few minutes once in a while and help out.

Either way...it's really nothing to be so upset about.

You literally answered none of my questions. I understand why you're flagging them for deletion. My point is, why bother going through all that work to change release dates when you could just keep it so release dates would only have to be provided if the album was released in the current year?
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2014 17:48
SuedeSwede wrote:
You literally answered none of my questions. I understand why you're flagging them for deletion. My point is, why bother going through all that work to change release dates when you could just keep it so release dates would only have to be provided if the album was released in the current year?

If you're not doing any of the work, and if it affects you absolutely not at all, why do you care? And you might get better answers if you were a little more respectful when you asked.

The point is to have complete release dates here instead of having to go to RYM or Discogs to get them if you want them. IF YOU WANT THEM.

If not, you can ignore the whole thing and it well not have any effect on you.

People complain when nothing is done. Now, people complain when something gets done. No pleasing people here....
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/06/2014 17:54
Romanelli wrote:
If you're not doing any of the work, and if it affects you absolutely not at all, why do you care? And you might get better answers if you were a little more respectful when you asked.

The point is to have complete release dates here instead of having to go to RYM or Discogs to get them if you want them. IF YOU WANT THEM.

If not, you can ignore the whole thing and it well not have any effect on you.

People complain when nothing is done. Now, people complain when something gets done. No pleasing people here....

I like the idea of whole release dates, but I feel it's pretty weird just doing it for the past 10 years... it's a little late to go through *all* of the database and label with days and months, I get that. Which is why I don't know why you're just doing it for the past 10 years...

Anyways, I will help as far as I can because I try to do my part in data moderation every now and then, saves so much work for those who would just go ahead and do it all themselves (and I am thankful for that stuff, btw). More importantly, I get why you'd implement this as a resource, but it's a little late to start doing that, and why not just all albums and not just those of the past 10 years, if you're going to dedicate doing that?
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/06/2014 18:53
  • Post subject:
It’s never too late to implement a resource.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/06/2014 18:55
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
It’s never too late to implement a resource.

I just think it's a *lot* of work, man. There's like ~30,000 albums on this site without a release date. Is it worth all the work just to get a moderately useful resource?
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2014 18:57
SuedeSwede wrote:
I like the idea of whole release dates, but I feel it's pretty weird just doing it for the past 10 years... it's a little late to go through *all* of the database and label with days and months, I get that. Which is why I don't know why you're just doing it for the past 10 years...

Anyways, I will help as far as I can because I try to do my part in data moderation every now and then, saves so much work for those who would just go ahead and do it all themselves (and I am thankful for that stuff, btw). More importantly, I get why you'd implement this as a resource, but it's a little late to start doing that, and why not just all albums and not just those of the past 10 years, if you're going to dedicate doing that?

My guess is that ten years was decided on as kind of a medium ground. It's alot of albums, but not nearly as many as going back to the beginning of time. The ten years thing is taking time, but real progress is being made. And when it's finally done, it will just be for newly added albums.

It's also an additional way for users to add on points. So if anyone os looking to be able to make more charts, and be able to help the site out, it's all welcome.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/06/2014 18:58
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
I just think it's a *lot* of work, man. There's like ~30,000 albums on this site without a release date. Is it worth all the work just to get a moderately useful resource?

Most data moderators are basically volunteers and if more people put the effort into a cohesive database we wouldn’t ask the question “is it too much work”, I think a lot of the pro-data moderation users got lazy (like me) or simply stopped doing it so a lot of us need a good kick in the shins to get the site going again. There’s no real excuse not to if we care about the site and want to genuinely help the staff.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/06/2014 19:05
  • Post subject:
*open tab* *google [insert album title here] release date* *close tab*