View previous topic :: View next topic
Wombi

• Posted: 01/11/2015 12:56
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
Inherent Vice will win best score

Nope. Would be lucky to be nominated.

satiemaniac wrote:
J. K. Simmons might just pull out a best actor (or supporting actor if he's considered that) nom for Whiplash, unlikely to win

He's a near certain lock for the win in Supporting.

satiemaniac wrote:
Interstellar is a shoo-in for being nominated Best Picture, but won't win

Nope. It would be a very big surprise if it got nominated.

satiemaniac wrote:
Y'all underestimate how genuinely mainstream Wes Anderson's films are, and it wouldn't be a shock to me if GBH got a nom, though I wouldn't support it whatsoever since it was by far his worst and one of the worse films I saw this year

I wasn't a huge fan of it in contrast to the rest of his oeuvre but it was well put together and fun. He's more mainstream than some other independents but I think it's unfair to say that he's a mainstream hit since he's only really been successful with the Screenplay category in the past.

satiemaniac wrote:
Boyhood won't win Best Picture, though it probably should

I'd be shocked if it didn't at this point.

satiemaniac wrote:
ideally, Lego Movie would win best animated film

Yeah, it probably will.

satiemaniac wrote:
Birdman is my pick for most likely Best Picture
more as I think of them

I'd be shocked if it did at this point.

Either way if either Birdman or Boyhood win at least people who complain about the oscars going for typical film can shut up.
Wombi

• Posted: 01/11/2015 15:13
  • Post subject:
Well the Golden Globes are tomorrow and these will probably look silly after (especially as I think Birdman will do well there but not so much here) but my current oscar predictions are:

PICTURE
American Sniper
Birdman
Boyhood
Foxcatcher
Gone Girl
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory Of Everything

If there's 10: Whiplash

I would have never - and didn't - predict The Grand Budapest Hotel months ago but it has been such a hit with all the precursor awards that it's a near lock.

DIRECTOR
Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Ava DuVernay, Selma
Clint Eastwood, American Sniper
Alejandro González Iñárritu, Birdman
Richard Linklater, Boyhood

I think this year will break the trend of the last couple of the picture/director split. Everyone is in awe of what Linklater achieved so I really see him getting this one easily.

ACTOR
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
Ralph Fiennes, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Michael Keaton, Birdman
David Oyelowo, Selma
Eddie Redmayne, The Theory Of Everything

Cumberbatch, Keaton, Oyelowo and Redmayne are pretty certain. The fifth spot is wide open between Carell, Fiennes and Gyllenhaal. Giving to Fiennes because I think that film is going to hit big with these guys. Pegging Keaton for the win because he's winning most at the moment but Redmayne is playing Stephen Hawking so who knows.

ACTRESS
Amy Adams, Big Eyes
Felicty Jones, The Theory Of Everything
Julianne Moore, Still Alice
Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon, Wild

I refuse to predict Jennifer Aniston even though many are saying she could win. Moore seems the most likely and is seen as overdue. Pike or Witherspoon could surprise with a win.

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
Edward Norton, Birdman
Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher
JK Simmons, Whiplash
Christoph Waltz, Big Eyes

I think this is the most near certain to a win since nearly everyone is praising the performance ( I think it's okay). Hawke, Norton, Ruffalo and Simmons are certain. Fifth spot could go to Duvall or possibly Brolin or maybe even Carell since BAFTA considered him supporting even if I think that's category fraud. But they love Waltz and I think they'll like Adams' performance in Big Eyes so they'll see it.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Jessica Chastain, A Most Violent Year
Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
Emma Stone, Birdman
Meryl Streep, Into The Woods

This category is unlikely to see much surprises. Laura Dern or Carmen Ejogo could possibly break in. Patricia Arquette Seems unlikely to lose but if she did it might be to Chastain.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 01/12/2015 10:11
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Well the Golden Globes are tomorrow and these will probably look silly after

I'd say you did pretty well... What about the rest of categories?

I'm gonna post mine later when I watch the rest of the big ones (these best actress nominees suddenly revealed a whole bunch of movies I haven't even heard of before)
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/15/2015 13:55
  • Post subject:
6 nominations for animation, and none of them are the Lego Movie Neutral

... ok.

The rest is decent though. Only other surprise for me was there only being 8 Best Picture noms and David Oyelowo getting snubbed.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2015 14:55
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
6 nominations for animation, and none of them are the Lego Movie Neutral

... ok.

The rest is decent though. Only other surprise for me was there only being 8 Best Picture noms and David Oyelowo getting snubbed.

Meh, it's an alright list of nominees. I just hope Boxtrolls or Big Hero 6 win for animation, wasn't that wowed by the new How To Train Your Dragon. Wish it was the Lego Movie but I guess not :/

Other weird ones: it looks like they thought American Sniper was great, and the things I've heard and other ceremonies sure haven't agreed. Also, Foxcatcher and Selma both probably deserve to be on more or at least more consistently. Seriously, Foxcatcher's not up for Best Picture, but is for Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Screenplay and makeup.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 01/15/2015 15:34
  • Post subject:
Only Lego Movie nomination is "Everything is Awesome" Laughing .

Nice seeing Ida among the cinematography nominees, I didn't expect that (though I'd still put it second to Birdman)

edit: oh wow Gone Girl doesn't even get the nomination for best adapted screenplay. I have to see most others, but like holy shit the one that I saw (Whiplash - even though I know it's in this category because of a technicality) doesn't come even close.

OH WOW it doesn't even get best score. I'm angry now.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 01/16/2015 04:30
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Other weird ones: it looks like they thought American Sniper was great, and the things I've heard and other ceremonies sure haven't agreed. .

It got a Producers Guild Nomination and a Directors Guild Nomination 2 of the most important precursors. It also got in the top 11 for the American Film Institute for the year and in the National Board of Review's top ten of the year. It has 77 on Metacritic and 74 on Rotten Tomatoes. It's not like it came out of nowhere.

The Foxcatcher thing is annoying not just because I thought it was one of the best films of the year but just because it's like saying one of the 5 best directed films of the year isn't one of the 8 best films...which is weird but I know each branch has a separate voting body so whatever just happy to see Carell get that deserved nomination.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 01/16/2015 04:45
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
It got a Producers Guild Nomination and a Directors Guild Nomination 2 of the most important precursors. It also got in the top 11 for the American Film Institute for the year and in the National Board of Review's top ten of the year. It has 77 on Metacritic and 74 on Rotten Tomatoes. It's not like it came out of nowhere.

I mean, I didn't know about the other noms it got, but like, Interstellar has comparable Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic scores, and Foxcatcher and Gone Girl both beat it on both. I mostly just go off those and reviews from friends/family and the local paper, all of which are obviously limited because its not a full release yet but the one guy I know who's seen it said it was meh and the review I read said it was good but not great, basically. IDK.

Also, I just noticed Godzilla didn't get anything for visual effects, which I'm actually kind of surprised by. Like I think that'll go to Interstellar but I thought Godzilla would at least get nominated.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 01/16/2015 16:15
  • Post subject:
Where the heck is Ava DuVernay and the Lego Movie??

Otherwise I'm good.
CubaZed

• Posted: 01/16/2015 16:22
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
Where the heck is Ava DuVernay and the Lego Movie??

Otherwise I'm good.

Yeah I'm with you here, though I'd say the fact that Mommy wasn't included in best foreign language film is majorrrrr oversight.