2014 Music Listening Journey Thingy - How was your year?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 12/07/2014 19:13
  • Post subject: 2014 Music Listening Journey Thingy - How was your year?
As 2014 is geting closer to finishing (don't worry, I'll mention there is still some 2014 left near end) I thought I would make a thread about how well people feel about their music listening went. This way we can all feel proud of ourselves.

As this has perhaps been the best year in my entire life so far it is needless to say I have had a good time with music listening as well. First of all I have listened to almost 800 albums so far this year which I am happy about I'm not sure how this compares to last year but I'm sure I have done better as I went onto many new albums this year Smile

Secondly I have listened to many many albums outside of the UK/USA! More than I thought ever possible. I think Japan and Finland have gave me some of my best album finds. In 2015 I will find albums from even more countries, ones I never even heard of yet!

I also created a Post Rock chart which has 100 albums and even have enough spare to create another! Smile I listened to Post Rock lots between June and August this year and there are still many more to find out there. I also got one of my favorite albums ever back in January by Against Me! which is another good moment! I have also listened to every single David Bowie studio album now!

Now there is still time left in 2014 so this means there is still lots of time to listen to more music before a new year arrives. It's going to be the year 2015 next year! Can you believe it!? We're a few months away from being 1/7th of the way through the 21st Century!

In time left I will listen to 2014 albums mostly as this may be area I am lacking.

How did your year go in the music listening world? Feel like sharing how things have gone! Razz
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/07/2014 19:29
  • Post subject:
I started to use spotify. This is good and bad for all the reasons everybody knows. I wouldn't have heard at least 90% of the new stuff I have without it though.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 12/07/2014 19:33
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
I started to use spotify. This is good and bad for all the reasons everybody knows. I wouldn't have heard at least 90% of the new stuff I have without it though.

Oh yes Smile Websites like this are getting very popular these days. They are helping people find music which otherwise wouldn't have charted or to help find everything a music magazine talking about.

I remember reading NME and every week there were lots of reviews and no hope of listening them all. Laughing
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2014 19:44
  • Post subject:
I've been gradually listening to more and more music each year, and this year has been the deepest I've gone in listening in a year, it's the most albums and more obscure than every before. Last year was a big year for me and this year even bigger. My 2014 chart this year is probably the chart I'm most proud of of all my charts. I put a lot of thought and effort into it, into the listening and the thought behind the order. Hopefully next year will be even more!

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 12/07/2014 20:09
  • Post subject:
Well, this year has been much kinder for me. When I first started on my musical journey, I had no grasp of unwritten and written forum rules, leading people to believe I was a troll when the truth was I was socially awkward. And I did certain things for the sake of not only annoying people to show them what it was like, but for the sake of creating a name for myself online. I turned into a bit of a troll, and I got what came to me.

Finally I said to myself that I was done with BEA until it became a more tolerable place, and I left for RYM. RYM was much kinder to me. Almost nobody got into a hassle, and I rarely got into an argument. My first argument only lasted two posts after I told this hipster that he had no right to call me musically inexperienced because I preferred older music. Heck, I still have Arcade Fire in my top 10. That was the first week of my new journey. Ever since then, I had started a project called the Big 4 Discussion Series, in which users would vote for their big 4 of a genre based on their own criteria, and the four acts with the most points by the end of the week would be the winners and be crowned the big four. It started with the popularity of a genre I created to see what people would call the big four of punk, and I never originally intended it to be an ongoing thing, but the popularity gave me the idea. I had gotten into so many different genres like post-rock, reggae (actual reggae), dream pop, and more punk. I take recs from the custom chart constantly. It helped me to create a full grunge chart, which I feel is my second greatest accomplishment after my 1970's chart. Plus, I had some friends from here on RYM, like Happymeal and Revolver (known there as Petsounds94). I also discovered the joy of bootlegs.

Happymeal then told me about a genre extravaganza thing, and I was interested in helping with the grunge one due to my taste for genre labels and diversity. So I slowly came back here, and things are different. Most of the people who gave me a hard time aren't teasing me anymore for various reasons. I'm not sure what's going on with Geevy or purple, but Skinny and I seem to be a bit more tolerable to each other, Jason's not doing much here (I wanted to rec him an album), and Jack unfortunately got barred permanently from BEA. Anyway, I might stay until the grunge extravaganza comes. If things continue pleasantly, I'll probably stay longer. I still have bad memories here, but hopefully I can just do away with them.

Anyway, I'd like to thank both the old and new users here for treating me more kindly than what I went through last year. And I'll definitely check out Kiki's post-rock chart.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/07/2014 20:16
  • Post subject:
everything i heard sucked fuck music
  • Visit poster's website
iwys

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/07/2014 21:00
  • Post subject:
I have been to more gigs this year than ever before, covering a really broad spectrum of music. Artists I've seen seen this year include Kate Bush, Arcade Fire, Stevie Wonder, Taylor Swift, Eagles, Peter Frampton, Chick Corea, Rodriguez, Brad Paisley, Rascal Flatts, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Tom Paxton, Janis Ian, Shakatak, Goldfrapp, Esperanza Spalding, Joe Lovano, Yes, Emmylou Harris, Foo Fighters, John Mayer, Pat Metheny, Kings of Leon, Haim, Paloma Faith, Ellie Goulding, Kacey Musgraves, Hall & Oates, Sarah Jarosz, Kaiser Chiefs, Ryan Adams, James Blunt, Roger McGuinn, James Taylor, Blackberry Smoke, Sheryl Crow, Darius Rucker, Jack White, Lucius, Kenny Barron, Dave Holland, Jackson Browne, Dwight Yoakam, Linkin Park, Of Mice & Men, Kasabian & the Maccabees + a lot of classical concerts and operas.

I have been using Spotify, YouTube & i-Tunes but mainly buying CDs online, as I like owning them. But, with no more shelf space left, I guess I'll have to stop that.

My top 3 albums of 2014 are:

1. The War On Drugs - Lost in the Dream
2. Sharon Van Etten - Are We There
3. Sun Kil Moon - Benji

So, I'm really looking forward to seeing The War On Drugs, Sharon Van Etten & Sun Kil Moon early next year.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2014 21:26
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:
everything i heard sucked fuck music

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 12/07/2014 21:40
  • Post subject:
Fell a bit behind so I've still got a lot of listening for 2014 to do, won't finish my overall chart till into next year.

That said I had a great musical year, spent about 6 weeks on my own doing fieldwork which led to a lot of musical listening via my iPod, made me fall in love with stuff like Exile In Guyville and Dust Bowl Ballads, even kept a little log of everything I listened to around the place, I'm such a nerd...

Plus I finally got to see Pixies live (Which is a big deal for me!).

• Visit poster's website
Exist-en-ciel

• Posted: 12/07/2014 22:05
  • Post subject:
In 2014 I listened more than 800 albums of music and built all my charts here on BEA. And I have to say thanks because with you I discovered a lot of new albums and artists. I listened all the year's top 3 from 1965 and a minimum of 11-12 albums per year too. I listened the top 150 overall and 500 from the 1000 overall. I took time to listened more than 65 from 2014 (and Are We There is my favorite). I made a chart for Canadian french (Quebec) studio albums (almost 100) and now I am focus on the Top albums by the Bea top members. That was my listening project for 2014. I did It and I am happy. Early in the year I started rating charts, but I stopped: I want to know enough albums on a chart before rating it. I am sorry, I am not very good writing post in english. I had a good year in music and with this site. I hope 2015 will be good too.