15%
 15%  [6]
Total Votes : 40

benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2014 00:41
  • Post subject: BEA's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame inductees revealed today. People ranting a lot about Ringo's solo inclusion and Green Day's induction before the likes of Bon Jovi, The Cars, Duran Duran, Yes, Deep Purple, B-52's, the Cure, The Smiths, Joy Division/New Order, Judas Priest, ELO, etc. But whatever on that, there's a separate thread for commenting on that if you see fit.

Since the R&R Hall of Fame is really just Jan Wenner picking who he wants (and, now, letting the fans pick 1 too it seems) and letting Bono get his way with his little Ian Curtis shrine in the museum (seriously since JD can't get in Bono funds a mini- Ian Curtis exhibit right before the timeline of music, it's rather odd), and since people complain all the time about the hall, why not do our own yearly (or perhaps twice yearly) ballot.

The thought is this:

Each year (or twice a year is how I lean if others are willing to do this twice a year), a chunk of regulars as defined below votes for the following:

5 Performers whose debut album came out 25+ years ago (following R&R HOF criteria)
1 Non-performer (producer, manager, journalist, hell, you got a favorite BEA user, throw them here)
4 Albums which came out at least 25 years ago

Everyone votes for their 5 performers, 1 non-performer, 4 albums, and the results are put together. The 5 performers, 1 non performer, and 4 albums receiving the most votes will be inducted.

Rule on voting:

Vote for the ones you think are most deserving on your own accord of what that means. Just like there's no criteria for "best ever album", there's none for this. You think that Angry Samoans deserve a spot in the hall more than anyone else? Then vote Angry Samoans! Do whatever you see fit.

Voters must be EITHER:

Level 7+ user on the site (177 users fit this criteria)
600+ Posts on the forum (This adds only 25 users but include essential contributers, ie KKS, Cuba, Mies, Tracy, WindowAbove, Alex, Jewsom, Eyecanfly, etc)

That brings us to a grand total of 202 possible voters, though probably minimum of 25% of those aren't on the site often or wouldn't contribute.

An additional ballot will be cast on public vote, by anyone of any rank. I will start a google form, open to any and all responses from people.

Regarding ties:

If an induction is tied and locked, it would be my intent to open voting to the site on a games poll. There is a minimum level to vote on that (I believe level 2? 3? Not high), which would prevent it from being as public while still allowing a wider voice to break the tie.

Ballots would be PMd to ensure that it doesn't get in the way of others' voting, with results released at the end without user's names attached.

I'd really like to do this and have the due date be January 30, 2015 to give y'all time and because it's my birthday so that'd be easy to remember.

I'm making this thread to:

1 Lay out rules
2 Clarify questions
3 See if anyone actually wants to do this or if the general response is "huh, that's a dumb idea". I think I'd want at least 20% voter turnout (which is 40 ballots including the public one), so if this isn't going to happen, it'd be good to know up front.

Questions/comments/criticisms are welcomed below.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 12/17/2014 00:47
  • Post subject:
I quite like this idea in principal, though perhaps it could work better in conjunction with the BEAMas? Regardless I'd be all for some version of this
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2014 00:53
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
I quite like this idea in principal, though perhaps it could work better in conjunction with the BEAMas? Regardless I'd be all for some version of this

That's not a bad idea! I like the idea of maybe stretching it out to twice a year just so we don't gotta wait the whole year and we could catch up to the Rock Hall (as we'll be rather small at first) but that's not a bad idea if the organizers of that would rather we do that so as not to distract from the BEAMAs.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 12/17/2014 00:58
  • Post subject:
Sounds fun, Ben! Great idea. Applause
Kiki

• Posted: 12/17/2014 01:05
  • Post subject:
Sounds too complex for me. Think
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2014 01:09
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:
Sounds too complex for me. Think

To TL;DR for ya:

Users send in the 5 best bands/artists, 1 best music person that isn't a musician, and 4 best albums. I'll put all the results together and find our "bests". They'll be published here and it's our unofficial hall of fame.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 12/17/2014 01:13
  • Post subject:
The part about the eligible users put me off.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/17/2014 01:38
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:

Yeah, because something installed to prevent database/result manipulation is bad right?
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2014 05:18
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:

And that's fair. I was hesitant about it at first, too, frankly, but I have to avoid vote spamming or just an absolute inundation. 202 votes would be a ton but I could still do it. Any number is harder ... though I get where you're coming from.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 12/17/2014 11:02
  • Post subject:
Harkan came up with incorporating a hall of fame into BEAMAs a couple of years back and the current inductees are:

2012: Radiohead
2013: Belle & Sebastian

I'm not saying it has to be run the way it has been or even be part of the BEAMAs just that that's what has happened so far.