CLOSED - 750: Round 1: A Badly Broken Code v. Houston

View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album would you like to see advance?
A Badly Broken Code
55%
 55%  [5]
Houston
44%
 44%  [4]
Total Votes : 9

Precedent
  • Posted: 12/19/2014 02:36
  • Post subject: CLOSED - 750: Round 1: A Badly Broken Code v. Houston
Captain: Gowienczyk

A Badly Broken Code by Dessa

v.

Captain: Bongritsu

Houston by Slim Thug

Last edited by Precedent on 12/30/2014 00:43; edited 1 time in total
Precedent
  • Posted: 12/19/2014 02:44
  • Post subject:
A Badly Broken Code

This had a great, jazzy vibe about it. Houston is solid, but a little too lengthy.
RepoMan
  • Posted: 12/19/2014 15:37
  • Post subject:
Neither of these intrigue me that much as they're both pretty predictable for their given tropes. But then again, I was never curious what would happen if Alanis had decided to rap. Sadly, the Minneapolis scene has become a parody of itself over the last five years. If I had the right car, I could see myself playing some Slim Thug rolling down the street as a laugh. It is definitely a million times more fun than the earnest Lillith Fair poetry slam rap of Dessa.

Nod to Houston. It's fun & hypnotic at times. But for this kind of stuff, I'd take me some of that Kingpin Skinny Pimp easily.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 12/19/2014 19:12
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Neither of these intrigue me that much as they're both pretty predictable for their given tropes. But then again, I was never curious what would happen if Alanis had decided to rap. Sadly, the Minneapolis scene has become a parody of itself over the last five years. If I had the right car, I could see myself playing some Slim Thug rolling down the street as a laugh. It is definitely a million times more fun than the earnest Lillith Fair poetry slam rap of Dessa.

Neutral

There is nothing about Dessa that represents either of these two things, and she’s clearly one of the strongest rappers in that so-called Minnesota scene right now (though, I suppose you could also argue for P.O.S) – though there is something distressing to be said about reading dismissive remarks that are not only wrong but just painful to comprehend. I mean there are plenty of people who don’t like the midwest’s take to hip-hop and I’ve seen my share of trolls over the years (“backpacker rap”) but this one strikes me ill particularly for some reason.

I think Dessa is great and not just some hackneyed “Lillith Fair” rap session, she has incredible diction and punch while keeping a solid flow throughout whichever sample the two producers tend to give her—she also sings her own hooks, and is extremely driven and to take away from that by a Alanis comment or whatever is off-color and most certainly not apt.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan
  • Posted: 12/19/2014 20:49
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Quote:

Neutral

There is nothing about Dessa that represents either of these two things, and she’s clearly one of the strongest rappers in that so-called Minnesota scene right now (though, I suppose you could also argue for P.O.S) – though there is something distressing to be said about reading dismissive remarks that are not only wrong but just painful to comprehend. I mean there are plenty of people who don’t like the midwest’s take to hip-hop and I’ve seen my share of trolls over the years (“backpacker rap”) but this one strikes me ill particularly for some reason.

I think Dessa is great and not just some hackneyed “Lillith Fair” rap session, she has incredible diction and punch while keeping a solid flow throughout whichever sample the two producers tend to give her—she also sings her own hooks, and is extremely driven and to take away from that by a Alanis comment or whatever is off-color and most certainly not apt.

Don't take it to heart, Gowi. It's hip hop so I really have no idea what I'm talking about anyway. I should probably just stick to talking about stuff I know. I didn't particularly like Dessa. It definitely seemed kind of bland and sanitized to me. But, I'm not well listened in hip hop so I should really just keep my fingers silent. Peace.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif
  • Posted: 12/20/2014 09:53
  • Post subject:
"Solid flow"? As in rigid and unmalleable? Got to say that I'm with Repo here, I just don't think Dessa's a very good rapper - a fine enough lyricist perhaps, but seemingly unaware of the concept of being 'in the pocket'. That, added to some extremely bland soft-rock production, makes for an awkward listen. I don't necessarily think Houston is the best example of its style, but it easily gets my vote here, against what is arguably the weakest album in the tournament (also, hi CLPPNG).
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 12/20/2014 22:43
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
"Solid flow"? As in rigid and unmalleable? Got to say that I'm with Repo here, I just don't think Dessa's a very good rapper - a fine enough lyricist perhaps, but seemingly unaware of the concept of being 'in the pocket'. That, added to some extremely bland soft-rock production, makes for an awkward listen. I don't necessarily think Houston is the best example of its style, but it easily gets my vote here, against what is arguably the weakest album in the tournament (also, hi CLPPNG).

Well, we've known we disagree on this for a few months. Though, you've also admitted to me that you're not a big fan of the style of hip-hop Dessa is in. Wouldn't call the production "soft rock" at all or her flow rigid, but we all have our perceptions indeed. I just am not a fan of hackneyed criticsm, I don't care if people don't really dig it, I mean I understand your discontent with it.

I will admit there are songs on this record that falter a bit compared to the strongest ones (Matches To Paper Dolls, Dutch, Crew, Alibi) but I think it's still a really cohesive and feasible record that is worth its listen.
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent
  • Posted: 12/30/2014 00:41
  • Post subject:
(O)Dessa broke the rap game

5-4

A Badly Broken Code advances.