BEAMAs 2014

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 12/28/2014 18:07
  • Post subject: BEAMAs 2014

Yes, I'm 23. And yes, that's the best I could do.

YES! IT'S HERE, IT'S FINALLY HERE! The 4th Annual Besteveralbums Music Awards, or BEAMAs. We'd like to open the voting as soon as we can, but there's a lot of technicalities we need to discuss first.

First off.
SCHEDULE
I'm not sure how much time me and Jhereko will have around new year, but the plan is to open the voting until the end of the coming week, most likely next weekend, and then keep it open for at least 10 days (necessary as it's a big ballot). Then as soon as the votes get counted and the nominations for the second round are declared, we open up the final vote, where we decide the winners for all of the categories. I propose the following:

January 4th – January 16th.
FIRST ROUND OF VOTING (the nomination process)

January 18th-February 1st
FINAL VOTES (deciding the winners)

Mid-February
PRESENTATION

Let's aim for the weekend of February 15th-16th, so we don't crossover with the Oscars Cool

Nothing is set in stone of course.

CATEGORIES
Before we create the polls, we have to agree on the categories we'll be voting in. This is what we had last year:
BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR
BEST SONG OF THE YEAR
BEST ALBUM ART OF THE YEAR
BEST MUSIC VIDEO OF THE YEAR
BEST EP

WORST ALBUM OF THE YEAR
WORST SONG OF THE YEAR
BIGGEST LETDOWN
MOST OVERRATED
MOST UNDERRATED

GENRES:
RnB ALBUM/SONG
BLUES/JAZZ ALBUM/SONG
COUNTRY/FOLK ALBUM/SONG
AVANT-GARDE ALBUM/SONG
INDIE/ALTERNATIVE ALBUM/SONG
METAL ALBUM/SONG
ELECTRONIC ALBUM/SONG
POP ALBUM/SONG
HIP HOP ALBUM/SONG
ROCK ALBUM/SONG

BEST INSTRUMENTAL ALBUM/SONG
SOLO MALE ALBUM/SONG
SOLO FEMALE ALBUM/SONG
BEST ALBUM NOT IN ENGLISH
BEST USER CREATED ALBUM/SONG
BEST DEBUT ALBUM
*LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

---

A few things to mention here:

- *Lifetime achievement award will be scrapped now, with benpaco doing the Hall of fame thing. Unless we merge the two or whatever. Ideas?

- There was also the question of doing a list of best albums of the year (sp4cetiger I think?), which is essentially the same thing we do in the first round. This is where we decide what to do with this idea.

- How do you feel about the negative categories, such as most overrated album, worst album/song? Do we need to continue with this?

- Should we keep the avant-garde category? It is kind of hard to define. Last year the winner was Virgins by Tim Hecker, who beat, um... Black Panties by R. Kelly among others.

- Some of the categories had very few votes last year, and even had to be scrapped. Is it sensible to keep the categories for: Best instrumental song, best jazz/blues song?

RULES
(i'll be copying some of these rules from last year. Please go ahead with your complaints and suggestions)

- You vote by listing your favourite albums/songs from the year. In most categories you rank your top 5, except in the album/song categories, where you list a maximum of 40 albums/songs (we had 50 last year but I think that was because of me fucking up the number when preparing the polls. Subject to change...).

- The points system we used so far has been to award the most points for #1, and then one point less for each next entry. For example, for all of the top 5s, this means 5-4-3-2-1. The number of entries doesn't affect the points awarded (like on BEA), so you don't have to use up all the spaces available.

- For the final vote, top 5 from each category are chosen, EXCEPT the best album and best song categories, where there are 10 nominees. If there's not enough votes in a category, the category might get scrapped or have less nominees for the final vote.

- In the final vote, you don't just pick your favourite among the nominees - you vote by ranking the nominees; Why? As we found out, it generally produces more interesting results, compells people to listen to more music in order to make an informed decision, and is more fair as a result. Few observations from last year.

ELIGIBILITY:
- Instrumental albums category: small amount of vocal sampling is okay, but for the most part it needs to be all music. Any genre is okay.
- Debut Album: Only an artists Debut studio album is eligible. Not debut mixtapes or ep's.
- Best User-Created Album: Albums, mixtapes and EP's are eligible.
- Best song of the year: any song released this year as a single or on an album (even if released as a single last year) is eligible

Important to note is that there are no eligibility lists for the genre categories, so nominate your favourites wherever you think they fit. But note that an album/song can only end up being nominated in ONE genre category for the final vote – the one where it gets most votes in.

"Hi I'm new, what is this?"

BEAMAs, or "BEA Music Awards" were born out of our disappointment following the announcement of the Grammy nominees back in 2011. They're run at the end of each year (and in the first few months of the year that follows), and their purpose is to show how much better and more fun our taste is to the rest of the internet and music world. BEAMAs were started and are to date still run by Jhereko, who was kind enough (read: eventually caved in after days of nagging) to let me in on the organizing/presentation side of things last year. Y'all will of course be involved as well.

"Durr but why do we even need this we have a chart?"

Well yes, we do. BUT, a) – it's more fun this way, b)-it compells people to listen and discover more albums they might have missed throughout the year. And c) it's probably a better representative of the BEA regulars' music taste.

"Who won in previous years?"

Winners of the best album and song award so far are (click on the links to see the rest of the presentation):

2011:
song: "Cruel" by St. Vincent
album: Kaputt by Destroyer

2012:
song: "Swimming Pools" by Kendrick Lamar
album: Good Kid m.A.A.d. City by Kendrick Lamar

2013:
song: "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk
album: m b v by My Bloody Valentine

Any questions? Suggestions? Ideas?

Last edited by 19loveless91 on 12/28/2014 20:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/28/2014 18:15
  • Post subject: Re: BEAMAs 2014
19loveless91 wrote:

- There was also the question of doing a list of best albums of the year (sp4cetiger I think?), which is essentially the same thing we do in the first round. This is where we decide what to do with this idea.

I think we should do the BEAMAs as usual and use mecca's suggestion for the end-of-year list:

meccalecca wrote:
I suggest using The Voice - Pazz and Jop's format:
...for ranking albums, you'll have 100 points to divide among
your Top 10 picks, with each entry receiving no more than 30 or less than 5.
If you rank fewer than 10 albums, just subtract 5 points from your 100 total
for each blank. If you'd rather not rank individually, just assign 10 points
per record. All miscomputations will be corrected in-house, to the detriment
of your top-ranked records first.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/28/2014 18:19
  • Post subject:
I support keeping the negative categories.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/28/2014 19:23
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:

Second.
Goodsir

• Posted: 12/28/2014 19:49
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:
Precedent

• Posted: 12/28/2014 19:54
  • Post subject:
Kudos, friend. I can't wait to see what you have to do and what happens! bam!
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/28/2014 19:59
19loveless91 wrote:

Loving this already
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/28/2014 20:07
Jokes aside, a few answers.

19loveless91 wrote:

BLUES/JAZZ ALBUM/SONG

Not so sure about blending those...

19loveless91 wrote:

COUNTRY/FOLK ALBUM/SONG

...or even those, even if I see it more happening.

19loveless91 wrote:

AVANT-GARDE ALBUM/SONG

This is meaningless to me.

19loveless91 wrote:

- *Lifetime achievement award will be scrapped now, with benpaco doing the Hall of fame thing.

Agreed.
19loveless91 wrote:

- How do you feel about the negative categories, such as most overrated album, worst album/song? Do we need to continue with this?

Let's continue, they're fun.

19loveless91 wrote:

- Should we go keep the avant-garde category? It is kind of hard to define. Last year the winner was Virgins by Tim Hecker, who beat, um... Black Panties by R. Kelly among others.

Sorry, already answered this. No.
19loveless91 wrote:

- Some of the categories had very few votes last year, and even had to be scrapped. Is it sensible to keep the categories for: Best instrumental song, best jazz/blues song?

Part of what interested me lately (say, the last two years) is what it means to play jazz today. I'd keep it. Of course the risk is that FlyLo wins it by a landslide, but hey, it's an interesting jazz album.
[/quote]
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 12/28/2014 20:36
  • Post subject:
^^^

Blus/Jazz

I agree with Norman. Blues & Jazz should not be combined. They're completely different.

Country/Folk

same as above but less strong.

Negative categories

keep 'em.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 12/28/2014 21:03
sp4cetiger wrote:
I think we should do the BEAMAs as usual and use mecca's suggestion for the end-of-year list:

I need to see what can be done with the survey making site that Jhereko uses. It would probably mean less work for us actually if it's doable.
Question I have here is - is 10 albums enough? While I think last year's 50 is a bit excessive, I still think most of us will have trouble narrowing it down to just 10.

Norman Bates wrote:
19loveless91 wrote:
:

BLUES/JAZZ ALBUM/SONG

Not so sure about blending those...

Norman Bates wrote:
19loveless91 wrote:

COUNTRY/FOLK ALBUM/SONG

...or even those, even if I see it more happening.

Both of these categories were introduced last year.
Blues/jazz in an effort to try and get more votes for the category. IIRC all nominees ended up being jazz albums anyway, so maybe we should revert back to just "JAZZ".

I think we should keep folk/country as it is though. I know they're not the same, but the issue here is having enough categories so that all albums fit somewhere, yet not too many categories, so it stays "manageable" both for voters and people counting votes. And I think folk and country nominees are still stylistically similar enough to warrant one category. There's probably a bigger difference among the albums that get nominated in indie/alter or electronic categories.
For example, last year the nominees in this category were Laura Marling, Kacey Musgraves, Bill Callahan, Torres and Neko Case, whereas the indie/alter category had Julia Holter, Vampire Weekend, MBV, and electronic category had Daft Punk vs Jon Hopkins vs Darkside...

Norman Bates wrote:
19loveless91 wrote:

AVANT-GARDE ALBUM/SONG

This is meaningless to me.

Yeah, I don't know what to do with this one... The idea (I think) was to find a space for albums that kind of couldn't fit anywhere else. Those that were too "weird" for indie/alter, or any drone/ambient albums. But it's hard to define, so that's why we ended up with people nominating Black Panties. Anyway, last year we had a few users defending the category, if nobody steps forward this year, we might have to do without it Think
  • Visit poster's website