Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 01/15/2015 23:32
  • Post subject: BYT2 - Best Year Tournament 2.0
BRACKETS

Hey! Resurrecting the great BYT run by Jhereko a couple of years ago. Rules are essentially the same, but have a few changes.

Each member chooses one year, and therefore gains all the releases released in that year.
Every round, years will randomly face each other. Each year makes a small team out of their pool of releases, and the team with the most votes wins and goes on to the next round.
You cannot repeat albums on different rounds, except on the semi final and the final.
Each team will consist of a number of releases: The first few rounds will have teams of up to 4 LPs or EPs and 4 singles; the semi-final will have teams of up to 8 LPs and 4 singles with only 2 of these LPs needing to be "new"; while the final will have teams of 10 LPs or EPs and 5 singles of any albums in that year.
Each player will PM me their teams for the next round before the day the round takes place. Don't message me the list of albums in your team, but message me a full post - formatted as you want it. I'll copy paste exactly what you send me, so make sure you include videos/images/text along with the PM, just like you want your entry to look.
There will be elimination, one on one matches every round.
You CANNOT re-use the same albums in different rounds. If you already used X in a first round match, it can't be on any teams until the final, when this is reset.
No re-releases, no compilations, EPs and singles count each as a release too.
Voters on each round must consider the team posted exclusively - regardless of how good or bad the year itself was.

Can't think of anything else. Post your nominations. You got until the 21st. Will cut the nominations as soon as we hit an adequate multiple of two (16, 32 or 64, depending on the enthusiasm - most probably 32.)

I'm taking 2006 for myself.

Also first place gets 50 defago points, second place gets 25.

Oooook. Here it goes.

We're going to be doing a group stage before the knockoffs, 7 groups with 5 users each and 1 group with 4 users. Two users from each group will survive and pass to the second part of the tournament, onward from where we'll do a simple elimination bracket with 16 users.

The group round will feature teams of 5 albums and 5 singles. "Albums" can be either a full LP or full EP. "Singles" can be either a single or an EP's lead track. No album may be re-used in the group rounds. The 2 users with the most wins after playing against all other users in their group once proceed to the next stage, the rest are eliminated.

The elimination bracket consists of 4 rounds. The first one will feature teams of size 4 with all of their albums being reusable, the second round will be for teams of size 6 out of which 2 items per category have to be absolutely new and the remaining 4 need to be new to the elimination bracket (but can have been used in the group stages). Third round is teams of size 8 with 2 new items; finals is teams of size 10 with any and all albums being eligible, regardless of having been used previously.

This accounts for a minimum amount of unique albums of 24, and a maximum of 48. I believe this gives a wide range for users to decide how much variety they want (and can) use on their drafting.

All items released in a certain year are nominable. I will, however, reject some on the basis that it doesn't represent the year. A live album or even a compilation might represent a year adequately, in which case it will be allowed to play, but the rules regarding this aren't black or white - it depends a lot on public opinion and my personal opinion on a case-by-case basis.

This tournament will feature a huge amount of matches - a minimum of four matches per player and a maximum of eight matches for the winner. This means a total of 76 group stage rounds/threads and 31 elimination rounds/threads - that's 107 threads total. If we do 4 threads a week, that's about half a year for this to finish, so brace yourselves for the long haul. I fully expect to be able to post the threads every week, but in case I don't I'll need someone to be my second in command in case I'm busy or something a certain week, as well to help with decision-making if I'm not available at the time.

Like I mentioned before, we're doing 4 threads a week. That means around 32 albums per week - you guys have probably already listened to most of them, but still there will be a few you haven't. I'll post the threads every Sunday sometime through the day and close the votecount on the following Sunday's noon.

I'll need people to send me their respective teams before midnight on the Saturday before they're scheduled to play. You can send it in anytime through the week, though, so send them in on Monday and forget about it if you want to. Remember I'm not doing ANY editing, so send me exactly what you want to see me post on your stead. If you send me just a list of your team, that's what's going on the post. If you want to write a ten thousand word accompaniment with pretty, pretty HTML tags, then by all means do. You're all invited to be as creative as possible with this, since it's going to be your team's "face", so to speak. Anyone else is allowed to comment on each round's years (on the respective threads) both positively and negatively. So go ahead and talk smack about your opponents or rise up your friends' years. Everything goes (as long as it's in the site rules).

Also due to the scope of the tournament, I'm going to allow voluntary co-captaining. Send me a PM with who you'd like to be your co-captain and that user will be able to submit teams in the captain's stead. Also let me know how you wish to split your prize defago points with your co captain in case you win.

I think that's all of it. Let me know if I haven't answered something, or if you'd be interested in helping me out! I'll post the group stages brackets and dates in a few.

1958 - Precedent

1965 - alelsupreme
1967 - NickVolos
1968 - sp4cetiger
1969 - Goodsir
1970 - RockyRaccoon
1971 - Applerill
1972 - nachosbob

1974 - Listmeister

1977 - Mercury
1978 - Meccalecca
1979 - benpaco
1980 - Norman Bates
1981 - CellarDoor
1983 - Infinity183
1984 - RepoMan
1985 - Borejko

1989 - suedeswede

1991 - NoWaxJim
1992 - Junodog
1993 - Silver
1994 - JoD
1995 - MrFrogger
1996 - koolkeithsweat
1997 - Happymeal
1998 - WindowAbove
1999 - Gowienczyk
2000 - Skinny

2002 - CubaZed

2004 - Shanespear
2003 - Saoirse
2006 - Defago
2007 - Hayden
2008 - Jhereko
2009 - Necharsian
2010 - SquishyPuffDave
2011 - Precedent
2012 - Revolver
2013 - 19loveless91
2014 - dbz

Last edited by Defago on 02/22/2015 04:56; edited 15 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2015 23:34
  • Post subject:
I'll take 1995, the year of my birth.
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 01/15/2015 23:42
  • Post subject:
I urge whoever takes 2014 to be an absolute master in the year, so as to use this tournament as a neat way to finish up the year.

Also I'm going to allow 2015 only if JMan captains it.
  • Visit poster's website
joyofdivision

• Posted: 01/15/2015 23:42
  • Post subject:
I'll have 1994
Happymeal

• Posted: 01/15/2015 23:44
  • Post subject:
Silver

• Posted: 01/16/2015 00:02
  • Post subject:
The 90s are gonna fill up quick looks like. Taking 93.
undefined

• Posted: 01/16/2015 00:10
  • Post subject:
ah what the hell I'll take 2014
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 01/16/2015 00:24
  • Post subject:
Give me 1978
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 01/16/2015 00:24
  • Post subject:
I'll take 2011
undefined

• Posted: 01/16/2015 00:36
  • Post subject: Re: BYT2 - Best Year Tournament 2.0
Defago wrote:
first place gets 50 defago points, second place gets 25.

how may we spend such points?