Album of the day (#1521): Deja Entendu by Brand New

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin
  • Posted: 01/28/2015 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1521): Deja Entendu by Brand New
Today's album of the day

Deja Entendu by Brand New (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2003.
Overall rank: 712
Average rating: 76/100 (from 108 votes).

Tracks:
1. Tautou
2. Sic Transit Gloria ... Glory Fades
3. I Will Play My Game Beneath the Spin Light
4. Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't
5. The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows
6. The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot
7. Jaws Theme Swimming
8. Me vs. Maradona vs. Elvis
9. Guernica
10. Good to Know That If I Ever Need Attention All I Have to Do Is Die
11. Play Crack the Sky

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir
  • Posted: 01/28/2015 21:17
  • Post subject:
Just completely average in every aspect
Kiki
  • Posted: 01/28/2015 21:36
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
Just completely average in every aspect

This is a silly thing to say Laughing
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 01/29/2015 02:07
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
Just completely the best album ever in every aspect

FTFY

Nah, it's my favorite, personally, but you could argue that this isn't even their best album and I wouldn't be too upset (unless you think Daisy is better ...) To me, though, this is a masterpiece. Lyrically, he's obviously trying to be Morissey, which I've got no problem with. Sic Transit Gloria ... Glory Fades is one of the most powerful songs ever written in my opinion. Tatou is on my sleep therapy playlist. When I listened to only 5 songs for an entire month as a personal challenge, I chose Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot as one if the 5. This album broke down genre barriers I've held for some time. I hope to get the astronaut tattooed on my left shoulder blade someday. This album means a ton to me, is one of the few that I can honestly say has changed my life and worldview.

I saw the album summed up once as "Deja Entendu: Now you can understand a tragedy." There's so many layers going on here, so many subtle things that can be debated. The false rhymes in Play Crack The Sky, the Beatles reference at the end of Crack The Sky, the album's opening being a preface or a reflection on what happened, which songs are true stories and which are drunk tales they imagined (Lacey's never been clear there in the few interviews he's given), if the screaming "DIE YOUNG AND SAVE YOURSELF" is his own suicidal thoughts, developing schizophrenia, or someone else manipulating his actions as seen in he video and implied throughout the song - I could go on, but I won't.

Many of the most interesting moments are just so subtle - for example, "You are the smell before rain". This is an odd statement - many love petrichor, the smell after rain, but I can't say I've ever sensed a real smell before it. Is she the calm before the storm? Is she the sign the storm is coming? Maybe she's a fragmented idea, some hindsight bias his mind is trying to associate with a smell that never was there. Very sensitive noses actually can smell when a storm is coming (http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...mell-rain/), so is this meant to imply that he's so sensitive with everything it's unique? Or maybe that her presence to him is so important he has become incredibly aware of her presence.

This album, Jack, and my then girlfriend were all that kept me from going off the deep end for some time, and while others have since come or returned into my life, DE's all I've got left of those three. With each listen, I appreciate it a little more, find something new in it, etc. It's an album that's just always there for me, however I may need it.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States
  • Posted: 01/29/2015 15:54
  • Post subject:
A great album but not on the same level as Devil and God. I may even prefer Daisy to this but this is still really good, especially the first half
  • Visit poster's website