BEA's Year-End List #9: LP1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2015 07:05
  • Post subject:
I think the fact that music is recorded now is a pretty significant part of the experience. Especially with regards to albums.

But yeah I dunno if the way Two Weeks builds up falls under production or songwriting or whatever, but it feels significant to me and that it is something, and that words that indicate that something actually exists would be appropriate to use.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2015 07:15
  • Post subject:
secretdad wrote:
words that indicate that something actually exists would be appropriate to use.

Haha. Fair enough.
Wombi

• Posted: 02/02/2015 09:10
  • Post subject:
I gotta agree with the lack of depth comments. I really can't enjoy this album because it finishes and I feel like I got nothing out of it. There's some pretty production and her voice is okay (but in the sea of beautiful alternative and more poppy female vocals we have it's really not that special) but this really feels like a fad album and fad artist to me.
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 02/02/2015 09:14
  • Post subject:
Inconsistently great. Nothing else on the album is as good as Pendulum, but most things aren't as good as Pendulum. I think EP2 was better overall.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 02/02/2015 16:09
  • Post subject:
Again, I love where this placed & think it's the perfect #9. It's gorgeous & seductive ear candy that makes me feel like I'm back in high school. No mean feat. LOL>

Those who argue that without the production this album would b blah miss the point. This album is all about that cocooning, echoing "XX production" that Norman Bates mentions. The production is the star. It's like arguing that without the guitar, Jimi Hendrix albums are kind of blah. (Actually, those still would have been great probably. LOL.) It misses the point.

Sure its a tad inconsistent, but what pop album isn't. But, it's got an intriguing new breakout star. Delicious singles. The perfect album cover that made you look. It's the perfect time capsule of what 2014 POP sounded like.
RepoMan

• Posted: 02/02/2015 16:17
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

The beauty is in the subtlety. That’s where this album shines. Tahliah Barnett’s voice doesn’t overpower you, and it doesn’t need to. Her voice, at times barely a whisper, draws you in closer to the music. The atmosphere is absolutely mesmerizing and it’s easy to just get lost in her voice and the music around her. She’s slowly pulling you in closer to her, like she has something special to tell you and only you, and you can’t help but come closer and listen.

... It feels intimate, it's close, it's subtle and beautiful.

This exactly. Somehow missed this on the first pass, but this is the perfect way to express the draw of this album.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 02/02/2015 16:17
  • Post subject:
Not a fan in the least
Precedent

• Posted: 02/02/2015 16:47
  • Post subject:
I loved this when I first listened to it but had no desire to ever come back.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/02/2015 16:52
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Those who argue that without the production this album would b blah miss the point. This album is all about that cocooning, echoing "XX production" that Norman Bates mentions. The production is the star. It's like arguing that without the guitar, Jimi Hendrix albums are kind of blah. (Actually, those still would have been great probably. LOL.) It misses the point.

Does it, though? A top 10 album might showcase production, but should still have solid songwriting to go with it.

I enjoyed LP1, but I found the experience fairly hollow. The production is good, perhaps even better than the vast majority of other 2014 albums, but it's not enough for me to walk away from it and say to myself, "This is one of the best albums I've heard in 2014."

It might have been more effective if I'd bought into the whole "subtle" sexuality of it. The repetition of phrases like,

"When I trust you we can do it with the lights on"

struck me as having all the subtlety of a charging rhino.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/02/2015 16:56
  • Post subject:
BrandonMiaow wrote:
Such a lazy, incessant comparison.

First time ever I use it on BEA. But I'm really sorry it doesn't please you. Next time, I'll be sure to ask you first whom I think a record sounds like before I write a passing comment in 5 seconds on "what album are you listening right now".

Mind you, your agressive comment wasn't totally useless: I will now pay very close attention to the similes you use. Don't be lazy.
  • Visit poster's website