BEA's Year-End List #7: Plowing Into the Field of Love

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger
  • Posted: 02/04/2015 15:42
  • Post subject: BEA's Year-End List #7: Plowing Into the Field of Love

Plowing Into The Field Of Love by Iceage

The third studio album from Danish punk band, Iceage, had BEA buzzing. While some forumgoers were really put off by the vocalist, most of the response was positive, some going as far as to dub them the saviors of punk.

Silver wrote:
Drowning in a deluge of alcohol, throwing up in the alley, waking up face down in the gutter, and heading straight back to the bar.

SquishyPuffDave wrote:
Not content to merely be the saviours of punk, Iceage decided to expand their sound into something cinematic and far-reaching, absorbing elements of blues and ballad into their intoxicating post-punk cocktail, accompanied by that dead-eyed moan more biological than melodic. It sounds like they taught a dog to speak and lit its tail on fire. That they managed to record this album with no animal abuse whatsoever is remarkable.

Skinny wrote:
- they learned a fourth chord and it opened up a world of possibilities -

19loveless91 wrote:
I really, really dislike the vocals here. And I'm annoyed that this is otherwise filled with excellent songwriting, excellent ideas that seem like an amalgam of the highlights of post punk and punk rock music throughout the years, it's like their London Calling in a way (comparing the album to the more straightforward efforts that came before), but it's ruined by... I don't know, those forced inflictions in the vocals, like he was constantly drunk and not even trying. One RYM commenter called it "like if Nick Cave was shit", and I agree with that. And even more annoyingly, though maybe it's just me, it's as if this was mixed the way to put the vocals in the forefront.
craola
crayon master

United States
  • Posted: 02/04/2015 16:19
  • Post subject:
First!
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif
  • Posted: 02/04/2015 16:20
  • Post subject:
Strong choice. Has the drinking'n'camaraderie vibe that made The Libertines and The Pogues so great ('The Lord's Favourite' is basically a Libertines song), plus a dollop of that gothic post-punk thing Nick Cave used to be so great at. I'd be lying if I said I preferred it to You're Nothing, but it's still a really solid indie rock album, of which they weren't all that many in 2014.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia
  • Posted: 02/04/2015 16:25
  • Post subject:
Ugh I hate my comment on this. Although yes, the vocals remain an issue for me. Songwriting is great. Interesting list this is shaping up to be...
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan
  • Posted: 02/04/2015 16:28
  • Post subject:
Wow. Really LOVING our top ten thus far. Another solid entry. Loving how diverse it is thus far.

#KeepTheStreak
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif
  • Posted: 02/04/2015 16:29
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Interesting list this is shaping up to be...

For sure, especially in terms of artwork. Two of the best album covers of the year followed by two of the worst. The cover for this album in particular is just ghastly.
craola
crayon master

United States
  • Posted: 02/04/2015 17:08
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
For sure, especially in terms of artwork. Two of the best album covers of the year followed by two of the worst. The cover for this album in particular is just ghastly.

It's bad, but I wouldn't call it ghastly. Especially stacked against:

Savage Imagination by Takako Minekawa &...ustin Wong

In Conflict by Owen Pallett

Alas Rattoisaa Virtaa by Kemialliset Ystävät
Silver
  • Posted: 02/04/2015 17:39
  • Post subject:
My favorite of 2014 still, prefer it to You're Nothing and New Brigade and a whole bunch of shit. Like Repo said, this list is shaping up to be really interesting and diverse. Only thing so far I really don't care for is the FKA Twigs album, which I still find interesting in its style and all. Cool shit.
WindowAbove

United States
  • Posted: 02/04/2015 17:44
  • Post subject:
I like this one but it's not that great. I've heard this album done before by so many bands, still decent though. The singles are great.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif
  • Posted: 02/04/2015 17:56
  • Post subject:
Silver wrote:
My favorite of 2014 still, prefer it to You're Nothing and New Brigade and a whole bunch of shit. Like Repo said, this list is shaping up to be really interesting and diverse. Only thing so far I really don't care for is the FKA Twigs album, which I still find interesting in its style and all. Cool shit.

Basically this, although I wouldn't go as far as to say I didn't care for LP1 - I found it very enjoyable, just not quite top 100 of the year material.