Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Silver

• Posted: 02/13/2015 00:02
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
I just posted a Dolk graffiti; what are you talking about? Laughing

But seriously

Well there goes that Bark Psychosis dissertation I was writing.
undefined

• Posted: 02/13/2015 00:06
  • Post subject:
Silver wrote:
Well there goes that Bark Psychosis dissertation I was writing.

Laughing Laughing
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2015 00:52
  • Post subject:
I think I heard War on Drugs and Phil Beaudreau's Ether the same day, cuz I just have them linked so much in my head. I loved Ether. I didn't love this.

I kept trying to come back to it but in the end, I just quickly worked out it wasn't worth my time. It was OK, but just not impressive to me. A usual 75/80/low 85 album that's an alright listen once and just isn't worth going back to. So every time I'd go back, or try to listen to a song off it, I'd get bored and go listen to something better. Never got the love. Negative voted.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2015 01:56
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
I loved Ether.

I'm so glad someone else loves this album like I do.

You my boy Paco

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 02/13/2015 01:59
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
I'm so glad someone else loves this album like I do.

You my boy Paco

Am I Not Your Boy?

The new Young Fathers was pretty controversial
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2015 03:07
  • Post subject:
Precedent wrote:
Am I Not Your Boy?

you my boy too, if not for anything but going through the concerted effort of capitalizing every word in that question

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/13/2015 03:09
  • Post subject:
You have to admit that this thread has lived up to its name today. Tomorrow could be interesting too...
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2015 04:00
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
You have to admit that this thread has lived up to its name today. Tomorrow could be interesting too...

I take it that means we get the expected Banjo, though if he gives a 4th most controversial one, IDK what that would be. This Is All Yours, maybe? That'll be interesting ...

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/13/2015 14:19
  • Post subject:

Benji by Sun Kil Moon

Positive votes: 6
Negative votes: 8
Net points: -47
Rank w/positive votes only: 4

HoldenM wrote:
This album... I did not expect to love this album as much as I do. From my first listen, it became emotionally resonant to me, and it hasn't faltered on any of the dozens of proceeding listens. This is a masterpiece of storytelling, detailing Mark Kozelek's experiences with living, with death; with understanding why seemingly small, yet formative moments; with growing up, and with cultural phenomena that have impacted Kozelek's life. Often morbid, often haunting, and remarkably personal, Benji is the sort of special record that might not be the most ambitious or impressive sounding thing, but its avalanche of intimacy and engaging songwriting make up for flashy tricks and technique.

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Everybody dies. All over this album, there’s death. If it isn’t death, it’s life bringing someone down. This album is sad, but in a tragically beautiful way. If you’re unfamiliar with Sun Kil Moon, it’s the moniker under which former Red House Painters lead singer Mark Kozelek records. Kozelek has always been known for strong lyrics, but this is some of the most beautiful songwriting I’ve ever heard. Throughout this album, Kozelek is looking at life and questioning it, he’s questioning the chaotic nature of the world. He’s saying “why do bad things happen?” and I think what makes it so powerful, is that it sounds like it could be coming from anyone, it’s relatable. The very first song he sings about a cousin of his, Carissa, who dies in a freak accident taking out the trash when an aerosol can blows up. He says that shouldn’t happen, you don’t just struggle through life just to die cause someone accidentally threw away an aerosol can. But it happened, and Kozelek is trying to deal with that. In fact, a couple songs later on “Truck Driver”, virtually the same thing happens to his uncle, who dies burning trash and accidentally burns an aerosol can. Throughout this album, Kozelek is pondering life, he’s observing it, and he sings about love and loss in the most beautifully poetic way. This album is incredible, as I said, some of the strongest songwriting I’ve ever heard in my life.

sp4cetiger wrote:
I just can't take Benji seriously. Koz's melodies are always pretty, but his treatment of death sounds more fetishistic than insightful to me.

WindowAbove wrote:
It seems like he only cares about how the deaths impact him. The embarrassing shit like "Dogs", "Richard Ramirez" and "Ben's My Friend" just bring it down further too. Going back to great albums like the first two RHP albums and Ghosts of the Great Highway now with Kozelek acting like an insufferable curmudgeon in concert just make them seem like their sadness is feigned and exploitative too. I don't know if he's always been like this or if it's just recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was always a cunt feigning emotions and we all fell for it.

meccalecca wrote:
As someone who's experienced an ungodly amount of tragic death in my life, I can't say that I hear anything exploitive or fetishizing death in Benji. For me, the album reads like a journal of a man trying to understand the world, and coming to terms with age and loss. And that often leads to talking about the topic constantly in order to work through it. In depression, we're often pretty selfish. Is Kozelek not supposed to think or express how someone else's death effects him?

I can definitely understand many criticisms of Kozelek, from his attitude towards fans to his name dropping of restaurant chains, but when I listen to "Carissa" I hear nothing but a man expressing himself honestly and coming to terms with the unpredictable and often unfair nature of death.

That's just a taste. There's much more than what I copied above, including this thread.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/13/2015 14:25
  • Post subject:
Even as someone who has been firmly anti-Benji, I have to admit that I was surprised by the amount of negativity it received. From February - November of 2014, it seemed to be getting nothing but praise from the forum regulars. Even on December 1, when this thread was posted, it seemed to be the runaway favorite for the year.

Maybe the fact that I was running the poll discouraged people from voting for it or maybe the detractors had been shy about speaking up. Regardless, I still think there are many respects in which this has been BEA's album of the year. I doubt that any single album excited more passion in the community, whether positive or negative.