View previous topic :: View next topic
HyperBully

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2011 23:59
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
thomas697 wrote:
Science isn't a belief system.

Scientology claims that its beliefs and practices are based on rigorous research, and its doctrines are accorded a significance equivalent to that of scientific laws.

Scientology is a cult that believes an alien galactic ruler named Xenu fired hydrogen bombs into a volcano, which released the souls of all humans, called thetans into the Earth. The aliens have apparently infected every thetan and the only way to cure it is to become audited by Scientologists, which, of course, costs a decent fee. Then you have to dedicate your life and money to studying Scientology and shun friends and family who aren't Scientologists. The "rigorous research" you speak of is the writings of science fiction author L. Ron Hubbard, the "scientific laws" of which is a nonsensical book called "Dianetics" that has absolutely nothing to do with science and is not backed up by science in any way, shape or form. To the contrary, science entirely dismisses the notion of Scientology. Scientologists do not believe in scientific laws at all, they believe in their own ridiculous laws which they obviously claim is scientific. That's kind of the whole point of a cult, to trick people into thinking this is the one true solution, the only path to enlightenment and then sucking all the money out of them and laughing all the way to the bank. Your suggestion that scientific law is somehow more or equally preposterous than Scientology or is somehow connected to it is very disturbing and just plain false.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2011 03:43
  • Post subject:
We should respect the beliefs of others. Many religions have curious beliefs and practices when seen through the eyes of outsiders.

In December 1993, the IRS granted full tax exemption to all Scientology Churches, missions and organizations. In 2000, the Italian Supreme Court ruled that Scientology is a religion for legal purposes. In recent years, religious recognition has also been obtained in other countries, including Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Slovenia, Croatia and Hungary, as well as Kyrgyzstan and the Republic of China (Taiwan).

In 2005, the Church of Scientology stated its worldwide membership to be eight million, although that number included people who took only the introductory course and did not continue on. In 2007 a Church official claimed 3.5 million members in the United States.

Some current and former musician members: Dave Brubeck, Kate Ceberano, Leonard Cohen, Chick Corea, Tom Constanten, Doug E. Fresh, Isaac Hayes, Beck Hansen, Nicky Hopkins, Robert Hunter, Mark Isham, Al Jarreau, Julia Migenes, Lisa Marie Presley, Billy Sheehan, and Edgar Winter.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 02/11/2011 04:27
  • Post subject:
You don't have to respect the beliefs of others, especially when they threaten your way of life. If you think this than you don't know an enemy when you see one.

Anyone who tries to dumb down the people for capital gain is an enemy.

Scientology consists of a group of people who's sole purpose is to spread dis-information around the world (mainly America) I'm a fan of free speech and all, but dis-functional religion abuses the right.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2011 05:45
  • Post subject:
Show respect to the convictions of others in matters of custom and religion; it’s the Golden Rule.

Dr. Frank K. Flinn, adjunct professor of religious studies at Washington University (St. Louis) wrote, "it is abundantly clear that Scientology has both the typical forms of ceremonial and celebratory worship and its own unique form of spiritual life." Flinn further states that religion requires "beliefs in something transcendental or ultimate, practices (rites and codes of behavior) that re-inforce those beliefs and, a community that is sustained by both the beliefs and practices," all of which are present within Scientology.

Scientology has existed in Australia since the mid 1950s. Scientology has claimed 150,000 members in Australia. It has headquarters in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Canberra and has a mission in Tasmania. The Church of Scientology Australia is the regional headquarters for the entire Asian and Pacific area. The High Court of Australia restored Scientology's tax exempt status in 1983.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/12/2011 09:39
  • Post subject:
Donald Rumsfeld "There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know." Smile

I think there are a lot unknown unknowns waiting to be discovered...[/quote]

ummm Think WHAT Shocked
Now my brain hurts albummaster d'oh!

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2011 16:24
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Donald Rumsfeld "There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know." Smile

I think there are a lot unknown unknowns waiting to be discovered...

ummm Think WHAT Shocked
Now my brain hurts albummaster d'oh![/quote]

No offense, Gary, but I don't think that RFNAPLES appreciates Donald Rumsfeld very much. Am I right?
  • Visit poster's website
HyperBully

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2011 22:19
  • Post subject:
thomas697 wrote:
You don't have to respect the beliefs of others, especially when they threaten your way of life. If you think this than you don't know an enemy when you see one.

Anyone who tries to dumb down the people for capital gain is an enemy.

Scientology consists of a group of people who's sole purpose is to spread dis-information around the world (mainly America) I'm a fan of free speech and all, but dis-functional religion abuses the right.

I agree completely. Scientology is not just insane, it's dangerous.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 02/15/2011 21:33
  • Post subject:
anyone adhering to anything too strictly to anything, even science, becomes insane and dangerous. and this is coming from a scientist
HyperBully

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2011 21:51
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
anyone adhering to anything too strictly to anything, even science, becomes insane and dangerous. and this is coming from a scientist

I agree. Are you suggesting that I adhere too strictly to anything? I don't, I'm a natural skeptic. I don't think you can "adhere" to science, either, as it's not a belief system, where you have to have blind faith in something, it's just facts. Cults like Scientology are another story. There'a no facts at all present in them, just mind-controlling garbage.
  • Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 02/16/2011 08:40
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:

Are you seriously, genuinely a scientist?