View previous topic :: View next topic
Precedent

• Posted: 04/04/2015 19:47
  • Post subject: Cashew Milk
What are your thoughts on cashew milk?
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/04/2015 19:55
  • Post subject:
I don't really understand alternative milks. It's not that they're not tasty, I'd totally buy them instead of real milk - but why are they so expensive? Is it really cheaper to milk and herd living cows than grow nuts and mix them with water?

Also why are nut milks always sweetened? At least give me the choice to sweeten it myself if it tastes awful without it, so I can control my sugar intake like an adult.

Man I don't envy vegans.
JMan

• Posted: 04/04/2015 22:13
  • Post subject:
I think I've only heard about Cashew milk once. It sounds interesting. I've had chocolate milk and strawberry milk, and obviously regular milk.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 04/04/2015 22:18
  • Post subject:
It sounds really good and really expensive. Once again, I don't understand the culinary appropriation of alternative milks, though I guess finding more demand other than the vegan market can help lower the price.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 04/05/2015 00:30
  • Post subject:
Cashew milk is alright, and I actually use it often because the gf has it in the house. I prefer its taste to almond milk, but nothing tastes as good as goat or cow milk to me. It's obscenely low-Calorie though, so it's got that going for it even if you're not lactose intolerant. We have it, and almond milk, in unsweetened forms readily available here in the states. It's also more expensive in the states because major agricultural products like soy, corn, cows, chickens, etc.are heavily subsidized by the government (see Food Inc.), while something like cashews is not, which shows kind of the 'real price' of production in the states. As far as the U.K. though, you might check if it's imported from outside the U.K., or how difficult it is to grow cashews in the U.K. (including competing for land with other, more popular agricultural products).
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2015 03:28
  • Post subject:
I have an allergy to tree nuts and soy, so I can't have any alternative type of milk other than chocolate or strawberry milk. Sad
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2015 03:56
  • Post subject:
Guys you know chocolate milk and strawberry milk are actually just milk with flavors in, yeah? It's not like you're making the milk from the strawberries or the chocolate, whereas cashew or soy milk isn't cow milk flavored, it's made of that stuff.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 04/05/2015 08:57
  • Post subject:
Not had cashew milk (not really seen it here) but I rotate between Almond, Coconut, Oat and Rice (with the latter 2 becoming favourites very quickly) as they're the most common alternates here (aside from soy which is shit). They're becoming hugely popular thank goodness, so it's much easier to get at a cafe. And they're not much more expensive than dairy? I just don;t understand why people continue to drink another animal's breast milk? Seems super fucking weird to me. I actually prefer the taste of the alternates and don;t have to deal with all the shit that dairy does to the body.

For anyone with nut allergies look into rice and oat.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/05/2015 10:26
  • Post subject:
Don't even know what 'cashew' is.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 04/05/2015 10:46
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
I just don;t understand why people continue to drink another animal's breast milk? Seems super fucking weird to

Oh you're one of those people now?
Anyway i think it's because some people (feminists probably) have some problems with women being used for industrial milk production.
  • Visit poster's website