The King of Limbs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2011 13:44
  • Post subject:
OK, just downloaded this album (you can, too, by going to "order tracking" on the website), and I have to say that I'm really disappointed.

I mean, are they even trying with this album? I'm currently on track 3, and all I've heard is pretentious drivel. The lyrics seem to be really bad, too. "Mr. Magpie"? Really?

My opinion may very well change, but for the record, I'll say that it seems like this is Radiohead's worst album ever. At least Pablo Honey had "Creep"!

I'm giving it a 6.0 out of 10.
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 02/18/2011 16:20
  • Post subject:
yeah, quite disappointing ! their worst album. this is my opinion after 1 complete listening, but i don't think that my opinion will change a lot.

i just can't believe this is a Radiohead work Sad , was In Rainbow their last masterpiece ? anyway it's not really important, they gave us so much already with their super 6 albums.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2011 16:55
  • Post subject:
Of course, Thom said the following in an interview:
Quote:
“I tried making this album some sort of a sequel to The Eraser, […] but I let the rest of the band have some actual input on the last three songs, which is why they’re so different”

So this shows that the whole band wasn't even trying.
  • Visit poster's website
bcaie16

Canada

• Posted: 02/18/2011 17:00
  • Post subject:
Well, to be fair, Kid A never fairs well on first listen, but this kinda sounds like an inferior amnesiac.
  • Visit poster's website
mikeyskywalker

• Posted: 02/18/2011 17:16
  • Post subject:
What a pile of crap. Some of the instrument parts are cool I suppose, but Yorke's deliverance shows his age. There's no angst in his voice! And what the hell is up with his dancing video...?? 55/100

Very disappointed and especially after the 'These Are My Twisted Words' single. I feel sorry for the wank who spent money on the newspaper albums. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
Wombi

• Posted: 02/18/2011 17:28
  • Post subject:
warning: review after just 1 listen.

It's Past midnight here in Australia. I have just finished listening to Radiohead's new album in the dark with my fantastic headphones on. As has already been said this could be the Kid A of the new decade, the one that separates Radiohead fans. Could be. I hated 'In Rainbows' on first listen or at least really disliked it, it took me 4 listens to get into it, I'm not sure. I liked 'The Eraser' from the get go and I couldn't believe it when it got average to okay reviews. These bits of information are possibly important when considering I loved/thoroughly enjoyed "The King Of Limbs". I read somewhere earlier on this site (before the album was released) something about Radiohead doing Krautrock I don't know where they heard it but it is to an extent true. Radiohead have never invented a genre (and anyone saying so is kidding themselves) they take influence like everyone else. Even the the format of the album having 8 short songs feels like Krautrock. The first few songs feel like they could have almost been on a Can album. But where Radiohead separate themselves whenever they take Inspiration from somewhere, what makes them so great is they don't just do a genre exercise they make the genre feel like their own. The album is almost literally divided in 2 with the first half being some of the danciest stuff I think Radiohead will ever do and the 2nd half the most beautiful (a big claim considering who we're talking about I know). The comparisons to Amnesiac even i think are fair as it shares that albums connection/disconnection feel. I'll end my review before I get too definite as I have only heard the album once and will surely hear it 3-4 times within the next 24 hours. The fact that I have been inspired to write a review of this style is testament to TKOL, I am usually loathed to as I feel thy're long winded but I felt so much with this album on it's 1st listen. Where it fits in their Pantheon I can't say yet. I'll finish with what I love about Radiohead's 8th:
-The King Of Limbs obviously has a big wildlife/environmental theme to it and you can hear it in some of the background noise (particularly at the end of "Morning Mr, Magpie"
-It contains sme of Yorke's poppiest vocals (Lotus Flower) around some of their least 'poppy' music.
- Bloom, Feral, Codex and Separator are the highlightsa t this time (particularly Separator)

90/100

Oh and Applerill I wouldn't believe everything Thom Yorke syas in interviews; he hates them. Though I would love to see a making of of this album.
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 02/18/2011 17:34
  • Post subject:
You know, for radiohead you would expect more from the pat 3 or 4 years put into it.
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 02/18/2011 18:11
  • Post subject:
my rating: 65/100
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 02/18/2011 18:44
  • Post subject:
I am not going to rate it just yet (after my first listen), because I'm still not totally convinced, but I think it might be a real grower.. I personally see it as an album of two halves, one is slightly more experimental than the other - I'd compare the first half to Amnesiac (for example Feral vs Pulk/pull revolving doors), and the second half to In Rainbows, (though it's maybe not the best comparison)..
I also think that the second half is better.. I wasn't particularly impressed, when I was watching the video for Lotus Flowers for the first time, but I really like the song now after listening the entire album + viewing the video a couple of more times.. I love the horns on Codex (they are horns, right?), and I love Give up the Ghost, which is currently my favourite song on the album...

I have some problems with the length of the album (only 37 minutes), particularly as one of the songs (Feral) feels as a more transitional song (such as Treefingers or the mentioned Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors).. I might change my opinion later though, I'll probably write another review later..

BTW, I read a few speculations, that there might be another disc coming - considering the release was first planned for tomorrow, the last track here is called "Separator" and the lyrics in this song are "If you think this is over, you're wrong".. What do you think?

Last edited by 19loveless91 on 02/18/2011 21:36; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 02/18/2011 18:52
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
I am not going to rate it just yet (after my first listen), because I'm still not totally convinced, but I think it might be a real grower.. I personally see it as an album of two halves, one is slightly more experimental than the other - I'd compare the first half to Amnesiac (for example Feral vs Pulk/pull revolving doors), and the second half to In Rainbows, (though it's maybe not the best comparison)..
I also think that the second half is better.. I wasn't particulary impressed, when I was watching the video for Lotus Flowers for the first time, but I really like it now after listening the entire album + viewing it a couple of more times.. I love the horns on Codex (they are horns, right?), and I love Give up the Ghost, which is currently my favourite song on the album...

I have some problems with the length of the album (only 37 minutes), particulary as one of the songs (Feral) feels as a more transitional song (such as Treefingers or the mentioned Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors).. I might change my opinion later though, I'll probably write another review later..

BTW, I read a few speculations, that there might be another disc coming - considering the release was first planned for tomorrow, the last track here is called "Separator" and the lyrics in this song are "If you think this is over, you're wrong".. What do you think?

It's definitley horns on Codex. It's definitely a grower. I definitley have a problem with the 37 minutes lol it makes it feel a little anti-climactic which is the one thing about the album I have to get used to. I think Feral is much more of a song song than treefingers or Hunting Bears say and I always thought Pulk/pull was more than a transition and treefingers come to think about it, but I think Feral is much more of a song than others.

I'm so glad i decided to listen to the album before I watched the video (as much as i enjoyed the video) It gave it a much more natural feel listening to it.

I'm not sure how I would feel about an extra disc maybe it'l be just like the In Rainbows affair where it's not really part of the main album and not an odds and ends type thing either. There's two or so months before the physical release so maybe, I wouldn't bet on it existing though.