To Pimp A Butterfly

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 03/18/2015 01:55
  • Post subject: To Pimp A Butterfly
Seeing as discussion of it is scattered throughout the forums, I figured I'd make somewhere specifically for it. Seems like the thing to do, no?
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/18/2015 02:00
  • Post subject:
Seems like just about everyone who has spoken up likes it, so I actually want to hear from someone who doesn't. Genuinely curious about the other sides here.
Wombi

• Posted: 03/18/2015 02:08
  • Post subject:
I'm always for subjective > objective but I'd seriously question anyone who threw shade at an album performing at the level this one is (though I am open to hear the point of view).

Also can we talk about the fact that it's been flagged as suspect on here despite being officially released on itunes and spotify?? Can a moderator change that? cheers.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2015 02:19
  • Post subject:
Yeah. woah...
  • Visit poster's website
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2015 02:20
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Also can we talk about the fact that it's been flagged as suspect on here despite being officially released on itunes and spotify?? Can a moderator change that? cheers.

Looking at the moderation history, AM himself changed the release date but it's still suspect, so I think we just have to wait until next Monday.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/18/2015 02:26
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
I'm always for subjective > objective but I'd seriously question anyone who threw shade at an album performing at the level this one is (though I am open to hear the point of view).

To me, subjectivity isn't about granting some wiggle room in levels of greatness, but rather acknowledging that art can affect different people in vastly different ways. Sure, I'd question someone who badmouthed Kendrick's technical skills, but if this album just gives someone a shitty experience, who am I to judge them for it?

To be honest, I'd be highly suspicious of any album that didn't attract some haters...
Wombi

• Posted: 03/18/2015 02:35
  • Post subject:
I'd question why it gave them a shitty experience.

What would you be suspicious of with an album with no haters? I guess it's inevitable as soon as an album gets hyped there will be those who listen with sky high expectations and are disappointed but I struggle to believe that anyone will get nothing from this.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/18/2015 02:44
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
I'd question why it gave them a shitty experience.

I usually don't know why I dislike certain albums, and even when I think I do, I'm really just guessing. The human mind is way too complex for simple explanations of aesthetic judgements to satisfy me.

Quote:

What would you be suspicious of with an album with no haters?

That it might not challenge listeners enough or that it might not be edgy enough. It's hard to imagine that's the case here, but still, it would make me wonder.
Happymeal

• Posted: 03/18/2015 02:58
  • Post subject:
The production was enjoyable, but I began to enjoy the album less the more I paid attention to the lyrical content. I didn't find what was being said, how it was being said (through vocals etc.), and the music to all concoct into something great. it actually made the experience worse (I listened to the album several times just to clarify). It's a decent album, but I personally don't see myself returning to it in the future. I'm certain most people however will claim this to be a masterpiece and so on (many forums I frequent each have a thread for this particular album) so whatevs.
Wombi

• Posted: 03/18/2015 03:00
  • Post subject:
Any album that doesn't challenge or isn't edgy enough will get a lotta hate. Because this album is ythat perfect balance of accessible and experimental it's in that sweet spot where people from many different listening backgrounds will listen to it. Though anyone any album with hype will be listened to with sky high expectations and with a fine tooth comb looking for any and every possible fault - so inevitably it'll happen.

I'm definitely being hyperbolic with my one eyed statements and I've actually barely given any tangible reasons for why I think this is the greatest thing. Never said anyone should have to explain why they do or don't like something but I'm free to cast a side eye, no?