Pop Punk. Generic?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
eyal91

Israel

• Posted: 04/28/2016 13:06
  • Post subject: Pop Punk. Generic?
"Generic", "Boring", "Simple", "All of the songs are the same", "Selling for teenagers". All of those are typical statements about Pop Punk.

Well, it ain't like I really care what other people think about it, since at the end of the day that's what I'm going to listen to, no matter what people will say. Yet sometimes I see really stupid arguments and it makes me wonder where all of this hate is coming from (I once heard someone saying that it isn't real music, and Black Sabbath is real music. Then I've listened to some songs by them... 6 minutes, 1 chord.... Yeah sure, real music...).

So... I see this community as guys who knows a thing or two about music, and can really have an argument without throwing some pointless "this is music for gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyys".

So how about you guys? Do you think that Pop Punk is generic? Why/why not?
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2016 13:26
  • Post subject:
I dunno, pop punk has had a huge critical renaissance over the past half-decade, to the point where I think I want to enjoy albums with the tag more than I actually do. My favorite pop-punk album of all time, however, will almost certainly always be

The Best Damn Thing by Avril Lavigne
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/28/2016 15:01
  • Post subject:
Any music that works within the strict confines of a particular genre is, by definition, generic.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2016 18:18
  • Post subject:
Being honest, there is a lot of pop punk that follows a set pattern made by some assholes and some good people. Some Canadians, and suddenly more Brits. Some good, some bad, some bland, some loud, some nostalgic, others forgettable. (I was going to do a bit here for all the rapists, protectors of rapists, and pedophiles that made this stuff too but just in case it gets them more clicks, I'll skip that.)

In the end, some of the more formulaic stuff I enjoy, but I think it's more special when bands break the formula and incorporate other stuff with the pop punk formula. Joyce Manor, The Hotelier, new Sorority Noise, old Turnover, etc.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 04/29/2016 12:25
  • Post subject:
Listen to the gatsbys' american dream album titled volcano. It's a pop punk album that incorporates prog rock into its overall sound.

Here is a prime example of what you might expect of the album (and some of their other stuff too):

Link
'

EDIT: Also, the type of pop punk that I hold as favorites seems to be considerably different from your own selection. I love all the stuff that people generally associate with pop punk like blink 182 or sum 41 or story so far or whatever, but if you haven't listened to say anything, Saves The Day, motion city soundtrack, etc. then do so immediately!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/29/2016 22:59
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Any music that works within the strict confines of a particular genre is, by definition, generic.

Crap... I don't know my own language very well. At first I thought.... hmmm I don't get it and then looked up the actual definition of generic and it is: characteristic of or relating to a class or group of things; not specific.

The last part of not specific is almost always how I use the word, so I thought... a genre at least is specific to that group, so therefore not generic... and then I see this definition and well, I guess I've been using the world only kind of correct my whole life.

Language mind exploded. Genre and generic probably share the same Latin root or something as well.

I've also heard the word peruse used wrong... it's used like to skim something over instead of the real definition, which is to read (something), typically in a thorough or careful way.

Skinny has the brains.
  • Visit poster's website
xMUSICSNOBx

United States

• Posted: 04/29/2016 23:20
  • Post subject: Um, yes?
As a die hard pop-punker myself, I feel like it's fair for me to make a judgment on this. Yes. It is incredibly, unbelievably, generic. Nearly every song has the same lyrics, instrumentation, and concept. Just slightly varied between bands. The stereotype holds up.

The Story So Far: My Girlfriend Left me and now I'm gonna cuss her out and Jack up her car.

The Wonder Years: my girlfriend left me because I haven't showered in a while, and I can't stop quoting 'On The Road' and Motion City Soundtrack.

Real Friends/Knuckle Puck: My girlfriend left me and I used to cry about it, but after my long nostalgic drive through the Midwest, I'm not so sad anymore. I miss my mom.

Etc etc.
  • Visit poster's website
Juiceman96

United States

• Posted: 04/29/2016 23:52
  • Post subject:
Pop punk is probably my favorite genre of music. That being said, I know that its not the "best" genre out there. Like others have said, I am going to listen to what I want because its my choice to do so. However, I will admit that at times I am ashamed of the fact that I listen to this genre. So many people in music forums bash and pop punk(ish) bands that I like and if I was to ever stand up for these artists I would be crucified. Not to mention all the cases of sexual harassment and sexism in the scene create an internal conflict for me of whether it is morally right to keep listening to them. I am still looking for a solution for this problem, but its really hard when strong outside factors like popular opinion fight against your musical tastes. Im hoping that this thread will help me find some sort of closure, if not give me some new perspectives to consider.
  • Visit poster's website
Insomniac

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/30/2016 06:33
  • Post subject:
Pop punk, much the same as Slipknot or Skrillex, is what I like to refer to as gateway or bridge music, in that it facilitates your transition (whenever that may be) between readily available, commercially targeted stuff, and music of more niche appeal, that generally boasts greater longevity.

Whilst it marks a small departure in style and structure from traditional "pop", it has to be easily palatable for people not yet exposed to different music in any real depth, in order to bridge that gap. I think this is where the "generic" aspect comes in, but that it's born out of necessity.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/30/2016 12:15
  • Post subject:
Insomniac wrote:
Pop punk, much the same as Slipknot or Skrillex, is what I like to refer to as gateway or bridge music, in that it facilitates your transition (whenever that may be) between readily available, commercially targeted stuff, and music of more niche appeal, that generally boasts greater longevity.

Whilst it marks a small departure in style and structure from traditional "pop", it has to be easily palatable for people not yet exposed to different music in any real depth, in order to bridge that gap. I think this is where the "generic" aspect comes in, but that it's born out of necessity.

I get what you mean, it's all just so radio friendly and easily accessible!

Link

I sure am glad Pearl Jam exists, too, so someone can have baby's first grunge before evolving into bigger and better Chains or finding their Nirvana.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website