Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2015 17:02
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I dunno, I think they're pretty comparable. Maybe not necessarily a ton of sonic similarities, but something like Merriweather Post Pavilion or Centipede Hz. seems pretty comparable to The Soft Bulletin (the former) or Embryonic (the latter) in terms of tone and vibe. Obviously they started out from two very different places, but they're both critically acclaimed bands who put an experimental spin on pop music, and both could realistically be described as neo-psychedelia. They are far more similar to each other than either of them are to, say, Grizzly Bear.

Well from a point of critical acclaim, yeah they're comparable. But in terms of sound (what Jman is reffering to) I don't see much of any basis for comparison between The Soft Bulletin and MPP. The Soft Bulletin comes from the Flaming Lips rock background, and though its a departure from that, it's still ever present. Structurally speaking, most of the songs on the album are still Pop-Rock songs. Animal Collective on the other hand, come from a background of electronic and experimental music, and also some Freak-folk. Though MPP is by far their poppiest record, most of it (other than My Girl) is still much more subdued, and sonically speaking, very unlike The Soft Bulletin. Now I realize that's a bit of an oversimplification, but in regards to Jmans comment referring to them as bands with the same sonic sound as a basis for comparison, I think it holds up.

Also Centipede Hz sounds much more similar, but that's one record and really isn't distinctive of the bands sound as a whole, ie. the consistencies that they bring from album to album.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 04/27/2015 17:06
  • Post subject:
Basically, I was just saying I enjoy Flaming Lips' sound more than Animal Collective's sound. It doesn't matter if they're comparable or not, I just enjoy Flaming Lips more.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2015 17:07
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
Basically, I was just saying I enjoy Flaming Lips' sound more than Animal Collective's sound. It doesn't matter if they're comparable or not, I just enjoy Flaming Lips more.

Cool, just that's a different statement. But a valid opinion nonetheless.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/27/2015 17:29
  • Post subject:
A lot of my "Worst Ever Albums" are actually relics from the days when I used to try and force personal resonance with anything that happened to be high on some magazine's list. Fortunately, those days are behind me, but I've heard these albums way more than I should have:

The Joshua Tree by U2

Ten by Pearl Jam

The Wall by Pink Floyd
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 04/27/2015 17:36
  • Post subject:

White Pony by Deftones

one can never publicly hate this album enough
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 04/27/2015 17:43
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
A lot of my "Worst Ever Albums" are actually relics from the days when I used to try and force personal resonance with anything that happened to be high on some magazine's list. Fortunately, those days are behind me, but I've heard these albums way more than I should have:

The Joshua Tree by U2

Ten by Pearl Jam

The Wall by Pink Floyd

Ouch. Glad you don't do that anymore. All three are 5 stars in my book. Very artistic.
ShadowColossi

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2015 19:11
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:

I think in terms of songwriting in itself, the bands are not all that different. It's just the way they go about portraying the neo-psychedelic sound that's different. The Flaming Lips prefer guitars, bass, the occasional synth and some amazing percussion. Animal Collective does a similar effect but with synths and harmonies (and guitars on Sung Tongs). But I would also say The Flaming Lips are a lot more pump-up in the way that they keep all the parts tight together. Animal Collective is just a little spacy-er with their instruments I suppose.

But regardless they are two of my favorite bands and I couldn't begin to choose one over the other Razz
  • Visit poster's website
Pavement415

• Posted: 04/27/2015 19:27
  • Post subject:
I suffered through Oasis' discog, and I can safely say that over half of it includes some of the most unlistenable rubbish I've come across.

Aside from that, I've only heard the more mainstream "worst albums," such as several by Weezer (I think you know which ones I'm talking about..)

-Wallace
  • Visit poster's website
ShadowColossi

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2015 19:57
  • Post subject:
Pavement415 wrote:
I suffered through Oasis' discog, and I can safely say that over half of it includes some of the most unlistenable rubbish I've come across.

Aside from that, I've only heard the more mainstream "worst albums," such as several by Weezer (I think you know which ones I'm talking about..)

I agree for the most part about Oasis, and also with the singer's older band, Ride. "Nowhere" and "Going Blank Again" were fantastic, but once you go past those two, it's borderline un-listenable.
As for Weezer, I've forced myself to stay away from their "worst" ones so I don't ruin the couple albums by them I enjoy
  • Visit poster's website
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2015 20:00
  • Post subject:
ShadowColossi wrote:
I agree for the most part about Oasis, and also with the singer's older band, Ride. "Nowhere" and "Going Blank Again" were fantastic, but once you go past those two, it's borderline un-listenable.
As for Weezer, I've forced myself to stay away from their "worst" ones so I don't ruin the couple albums by them I enjoy

Uh, neither of the Gallagher brothers were in Ride, that's Andy Bell.
  • Visit poster's website