Type 9: The Peacemaker
22%
 22%  [5]
Total Votes : 22

SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 03/15/2015 02:46
  • Post subject: The Enneagram Thread
Diagnosing people with the Enneagram personality system is one of my lame pseudo-scientific hobbies, so I thought I should make a thread for it. It identifies nine main personality types:

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/descript.asp

Type One: The Reformer aka The Wrathful Activist

Vice: Resentment
Virtue: Right Action
Basic Fear: Corruption
Basic Desire: Integrity

On a good day:
Extremely principled, always want to be fair, objective, and ethical: truth and justice primary values. Sense of responsibility, personal integrity, and of having a higher purpose often make them teachers and witnesses to the truth.

On a bad day:
Highly critical both of self and others: picky, judgmental, perfectionistic. Very opinionated about everything: correcting people and badgering them to "do the right thing"—as they see it. Impatient, never satisfied with anything unless it is done according to their prescriptions. Moralizing, scolding, abrasive, and indignantly angry. Dogmatic, self-righteous, intolerant, and inflexible. Begin dealing in absolutes: they alone know "The Truth." Everyone else is wrong: very severe in judgments, while rationalizing own actions.

Possible candidates:
Skinny, Denmarkman, Romanelli

Type Two: The Helper aka The Histrionic Giver

Vice: Vainglory
Virtue: Altruism
Basic Fear: Unworthiness of Love
Basic Desire: Unconditional Love

On a good day:
Empathetic, compassionate, feeling for others. Caring and concerned about their needs. Thoughtful, warm-hearted, forgiving and sincere.

On a bad day:
Become overly intimate and intrusive: they need to be needed, so they hover, meddle, and control in the name of love. Want others to depend on them: give, but expect a return: send double messages. Enveloping and possessive: the codependent, self-sacrificial person who cannot do enough for others—wearing themselves out for everyone, creating needs for themselves to fulfil. Manipulative and self-serving, instilling guilt by telling others how much they owe them and make them suffer. Undermine people, making belittling, disparaging remarks. Extremely self-deceptive about their motives and how aggressive and/or selfish their behavior is.

Possible candidates:
Saoirse, Goodsir

Type Three: The Achiever aka The Vigilant Narcissist

Vice: Deceit
Virtue: Honesty
Basic Fear: Worthlessness
Basic Desire: To Be Valued

On a good day:
Ambitious to improve themselves, to be "the best they can be"—often become outstanding, a human ideal, embodying widely admired cultural qualities. Highly effective: others are motivated to be like them in some positive way.

On a bad day:
Want to impress others with their superiority: constantly promoting themselves, making themselves sound better than they really are. Narcissistic, with grandiose, inflated notions about themselves and their talents. Exhibitionistic and seductive. Arrogance and contempt for others is a defense against feeling jealous of others and their success. Devious and deceptive so that their mistakes and wrongdoings will not be exposed. Untrustworthy, maliciously betraying or sabotaging people to triumph over them. Relentless, obsessive about destroying whatever reminds them of their own shortcomings and failures.

Possible candidates:
Necharsian, Repoman

Type Four: The Individualist aka The Depressive Masochist

Vice: Envy
Virtue: Equanimity
Basic Fear: Loss of Identity
Basic Desire: Uniqueness

On a good day:
Highly personal, individualistic, "true to self." Self-revealing, emotionally honest, humane. Ironic view of self and life: can be serious and funny, vulnerable and emotionally strong.

On a bad day:
Gradually think that they are different from others, and feel that they are exempt from living as everyone else does. They become melancholy dreamers, disdainful, decadent, and sensual, living in a fantasy world. Self-pity and envy of others leads to self-indulgence, and to becoming increasingly impractical, unproductive, effete, and precious. When dreams fail, become self-inhibiting and angry at self, depressed and alienated from self and others, blocked and emotionally paralyzed. Ashamed of self, fatigued and unable to function.

Possible candidates:
Jackwc, 19loveless91, Gowienczyk

Type Five: The Investigator aka The Phobic Voyeur

Vice: Avarice
Virtue: Detachment
Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable
Basic Desire: To be capable and competent

On a good day:
Observe everything with extraordinary perceptiveness and insight. Most mentally alert, curious, searching intelligence: nothing escapes their notice. Foresight and prediction. Able to concentrate: become engrossed in what has caught their attention. Attain skillful mastery of whatever interests them. Excited by knowledge: often become expert in some field. Innovative and inventive, producing extremely valuable, original works. Highly independent, idiosyncratic, and whimsical.

On a bad day:
Increasingly detached as they become involved with complicated ideas or imaginary worlds. Become preoccupied with their visions and interpretations rather than reality. Are fascinated by off-beat, esoteric subjects, even those involving dark and disturbing elements. Detached from the practical world, a "disembodied mind," although high-strung and intense. Begin to take an antagonistic stance toward anything which would interfere with their inner world and personal vision. Become provocative and abrasive, with intentionally extreme and radical views. Cynical and argumentative. Become reclusive and isolated from reality, eccentric and nihilistic. Highly unstable and fearful of aggressions: they reject and repulse others and all social attachments.

Possible candidates:
Kool Keith Sweat, Jhereko

Type Six: The Loyal Skeptic aka The Doubtful Disciple

Vice: Fear
Virtue: Courage
Basic Fear: To lose security and guidance
Basic Desire: To have security and support

On a good day:
Dedicated to individuals and movements in which they deeply believe. Community builders: responsible, reliable, trustworthy. Hard-working and persevering, sacrificing for others, they create stability and security in their world, bringing a cooperative spirit.

On a bad day:
To resist having more demands made on them, they react against others passive-aggressively. Become evasive, indecisive, cautious, procrastinating, and ambivalent. Are highly reactive, anxious, and negative, giving contradictory, "mixed signals." Internal confusion makes them react unpredictably. To compensate for insecurities, they become sarcastic and belligerent, blaming others for their problems, taking a tough stance toward "outsiders." Highly reactive and defensive, dividing people into friends and enemies, while looking for threats to their own security. Authoritarian while fearful of authority, highly suspicious, yet, conspiratorial, and fear-instilling to silence their own fears. Fearing that they have ruined their security, they become panicky, volatile, and self-disparaging with acute inferiority feelings. Seeing themselves as defenseless, they seek out a stronger authority or belief to resolve all problems. Highly divisive, disparaging and berating others.

Possible candidates:
Benpaco, Applerill

Type Seven: The Enthusiast aka The Capricious Planner

Vice: Gluttony
Virtue: Sobriety
Basic Fear: Stagnation
Basic Desire: To experience life

On a good day:
Highly responsive, excitable, enthusiastic about sensation and experience. Most extroverted type: stimuli bring immediate responses—they find everything invigorating. Lively, vivacious, eager, spontaneous, resilient, cheerful. Easily become accomplished achievers, generalists who do many different things well: multi-talented. Practical, productive, usually prolific, cross-fertilizing areas of interest.

On a bad day:
Unable to discriminate what they really need, become hyperactive, unable to say "no" to themselves, throwing self into constant activity. Get into conspicuous consumption and all forms of excess. Self-centered, materialistic, and greedy, never feeling that they have enough. Demanding and pushy, yet unsatisfied and jaded. Addictive, hardened, and insensitive. Desperate to quell their anxieties, can be impulsive and infantile: do not know when to stop. Addictions and excess take their toll: debauched, depraved, dissipated escapists, offensive and abusive.

Possible candidates:
Revolver94

Type Eight: The Challenger aka The Pragmatic Survivalist

Vice: Lust
Virtue: Magnanimity
Basic Fear: Being harmed or controlled
Basic Desire: To be independent and in control

On a good day:
Self-assertive, self-confident, and strong: have learned to stand up for what they need and want. A resourceful, "can do" attitude and passionate inner drive. Decisive, authoritative, and commanding: the natural leader others look up to. Take initiative, make things happen: champion people, provider, protective, and honorable, carrying others with their strength.

On a bad day:
Become highly combative and intimidating to get their way: confrontational, belligerent, creating adversarial relationships. Everything a test of wills, and they will not back down. Use threats and reprisals to get obedience from others, to keep others off balance and insecure. Defying any attempt to control them, become completely ruthless, dictatorial, "might makes right." The criminal and outlaw, renegade, and con-artist. Hard-hearted, immoral and potentially violent.

Possible candidates:
bongritsu

Type Nine: The Peacemaker aka The Premature Buddha aka Psychospiritual Inertia And The Overadjusted Disposition

Vice: Indifference
Virtue: Serenity
Basic Fear: Loss and Annihilation
Basic Desire: Stability and Peace of Mind

On a good day:
Deeply receptive, accepting, unselfconscious, emotionally stable and serene. Trusting of self and others, at ease with self and life, innocent and simple. Patient, unpretentious, good-natured, genuinely nice people.

On a bad day:
Thinking becomes hazy and ruminative, mostly comforting fantasies, as they begin to "tune out" reality, becoming oblivious. Begin to minimize problems, to appease others and to have "peace at any price." Stubborn, fatalistic, and resigned, as if nothing could be done to change anything. Into wishful thinking, and magical solutions. Others frustrated and angry by their procrastination and unresponsiveness. Can be highly repressed, undeveloped, and ineffectual, dissociating self from all conflicts. Neglectful and dangerous to others.

Possible candidates:
Squishypuffdave

(Obviously it's hard to judge people online, so go and diagnose yourselves. There are online surveys but I personally think the best way is just to compare descriptions of healthy and unhealthy versions of each type.)
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/15/2015 03:02
  • Post subject:
Went with five, though it wasn't a home run. I can see bits of myself in all of these... I remember my teenage self as a type four.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2015 07:36
  • Post subject:
Interesting you put me as a type 6. I think my good days are closest to their's, but I don't see much else. My bad day's probably closest to type 4, as are probably my vices/virtues, but my fear and desire more closely resembles 5 and the bad day isn't far off.

Basically, I don't know. But this has made me think, at least.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 03/15/2015 15:15
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I can see bits of myself in all of these...

This.

I would say that the closest type for me would be type 4, though.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/15/2015 15:25
  • Post subject:
I'd probably diagnose myself as a number one or a number six. Interestingly, I did an online test earlier today and I wasn't particularly very strong in any single category, though my highest matches were number six and number seven, but number one was the category that least resembled my answers (which were completely honest). So either I'm not really easily defined by any of these categories, or that test is shit (or, most likely, both).

EDIT: Just tried a different test, which put me as a four, closely followed by nine. Again, number one was least compatible, even though it's probably closest to my own diagnosis. Weird.

Last edited by Skinny on 03/15/2015 21:09; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/15/2015 17:06
  • Post subject:
Honestly I find it hard to assign myself any category. Number three seems to describe me best, but some tests are keen on labelling me number nine.

I think nine categories for all people is a bit of a push - I think Miers-Briggs does a better job at labelling people, but I've not done enough research into either.

The science of people categorising is interesting, but there's no doubt hundreds of different ways to do it, the reality is there's 7 billion personality types, without sounding like a complete hippie.
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2015 20:34
  • Post subject:
I've tested as both 7 and 4, most recently as 4w3 (like a week ago, actually, go figure...)

So nice guess, Dave!

also, this is Definitely very cool stuff, look forward to seeing more responses!

--

EDIT: I just found this blog post about how it's often easy to mix-up whether an ENFP (my mbti) is a 4w3 or a 7w6: http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/2007/1...fying.html

(i havent finished reading it yet but so far it is v interesting)

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/15/2015 20:52
  • Post subject:
I'm a 9, apparently.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/15/2015 20:58
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:

EDIT: I just found this blog post about how it's often easy to mix-up whether an ENFP (my mbti) is a 4w3 or a 7w6: http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/2007/1...fying.html

(i havent finished reading it yet but so far it is v interesting)

Reading through some of the posts there, I'm more convinced now I'm a five. Nice find.
Goodsir

• Posted: 03/15/2015 21:45
  • Post subject:
Definitely agree with 2, think it really fits for me. Where can I take this test just to be sure?