• Posted: 06/27/2015 19:51
  • Post subject: Frank Sinatra
Looking to discuss all things Sinatra.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 06/27/2015 20:37
  • Post subject:
So, say somebody has listened to In the Wee Small Hours..., Songs for Swingin' Lovers and No One Cares mainly, and loves those three albums. What, say, two more albums in more or less ate-night last-whiskey barroom-loner albums by Frankie would you recommend (past Only the Lonely that said hypothetical somebody already knows he should listen to)?
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2015 20:43
  • Post subject:
I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade, but it really bugs me how Frank Sinatra (and the early jazz age in general) has been appropriated by hipster highschoolers. His singles are alright, and he has some amazing albums too, but people put him up on this huge pedestal when he's only slightly better than Elvis (who they almost always despise). It sorta reminds me of how Max Martin started his career with covering "It's My Life" for Bon Jovi. Every time I hear the original, I am immediately dragged back to the 1996 cover. Yuck.

Orrrr I like to think about it like that amazing scene in Do the Right Thing, where Sinatra is basically a symbol of racism.
  • Visit poster's website
tonyd

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2015 20:58
  • Post subject:
Norman-try "When No One Cares" and "She Shot Me Down"
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 06/27/2015 20:59
  • Post subject:
Cheers!
  • Visit poster's website
tonyd

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2015 21:00
  • Post subject:
I think Elvis was the top in his kind of singing and Sinatra in his.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/27/2015 22:37
  • Post subject:
Coincidentally, I was going through old family photos yesterday and found a picture of Frank Sinatra that my grandfather took while preparing his drums before a concert. Super cool to have Smile
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 06/28/2015 10:08
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade, but it really bugs me how Frank Sinatra (and the early jazz age in general) has been appropriated by hipster highschoolers. His singles are alright, and he has some amazing albums too, but people put him up on this huge pedestal when he's only slightly better than Elvis (who they almost always despise). It sorta reminds me of how Max Martin started his career with covering "It's My Life" for Bon Jovi. Every time I hear the original, I am immediately dragged back to the 1996 cover. Yuck.

Orrrr I like to think about it like that amazing scene in Do the Right Thing, where Sinatra is basically a symbol of racism.

I've found he's most popular among the 'geekier' students, or at least the ones who studied sciences and maths.

I guess people are much more likely to place someone on a pedastal the more engraved in history the artist is. He's probably one of the only still extremely popular artists who was prominant in the 50s (alongside Elvis) and I guess it shows he's stood the test of time - a lot of people latch onto that, for good reason.

He's the voice of a certain time, and I totally dig that, though I'd hardly call myself a fan.
Mies

• Posted: 06/28/2015 14:31
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
He's the voice of a certain time, and I totally dig that, though I'd hardly call myself a fan.
undefined

• Posted: 06/29/2015 19:49
  • Post subject:
So I was on the the "Seriously Sinatra" xm radio station and there was a magnificent Rat Pack performance that featured beautiful singing from all members, and several humorous remarks from Sammy Davis Jr. directed at Frankie that made me laugh. I can't seem to track down the performance though. Any idea what I'm going on about? Is it an official live album or is there some bootleg I'm unaware of? Would love to find it...