Posting an album review/rating before album release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2015 17:12
  • Post subject:
goeie-oko wrote:
Well sure, but by the time the album is actually released all the hype over the thing will have died down. I think this would seriously influence album ratings

Both untrue.

goeie-oko wrote:
plus, new albums are much more important to talk about and give rating to for most people than those other albums realeased over a period of 70 years.

Very sad, if true.

goeie-oko wrote:
And I definitely can't wit another month for a Sufjan Stevens album

Like Romanelli says, patience is a virtue.
  • Visit poster's website
goeie-oko

Netherlands

• Posted: 07/06/2015 17:33
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Both untrue.

Good argument. Think
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 07/06/2015 17:40
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
It would be quite easy to implement something to disallow ratings for albums with future release dates, & this might help get around this issue.

I think this would be an overreaction and a major step backwards. There are countless stupid things that people can and will do in a public database system like this and you're never going to be able to stop all of it. If you disallow ratings and reviews of leaked albums, the inevitable hype that precedes any major release will be relegated to the forums and make the database system less attractive to new users.

Whether we like it or not (and I don't particularly like it, tbh), leaks are a part of the music culture now. If BEA wants to be relevant, its policies should account for that.
goeie-oko

Netherlands

• Posted: 07/06/2015 19:39
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I think this would be an overreaction and a major step backwards. There are countless stupid things that people can and will do in a public database system like this and you're never going to be able to stop all of it. If you disallow ratings and reviews of leaked albums, the inevitable hype that precedes any major release will be relegated to the forums and make the database system less attractive to new users.

Whether we like it or not (and I don't particularly like it, tbh), leaks are a part of the music culture now. If BEA wants to be relevant, its policies should account for that.

This, basically.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2015 21:38
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
If you disallow ratings and reviews of leaked albums, the inevitable hype that precedes any major release will be relegated to the forums and make the database system less attractive to new users.

Personally I don't care if BEA is relevant or not. I prefer it to be irrelevant and be made up of fans who have the dignity to not listen to leaked albums at all, or at least the patience to rate/review albums after they've been officially released.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2015 22:02
  • Post subject:
I rated the new tame impala album because I've heard it and I am scum I guess?

Wait what about when things are on npr first listen or similar things where the album is streaming a week early, can I listen to those with my dignity intact?
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2015 23:32
  • Post subject:
goeie-oko wrote:
Well sure, but by the time the album is actually released all the hype over the thing will have died down. I think this would seriously influence album ratings, plus, new albums are much more important to talk about and give rating to for most people than those other albums realeased over a period of 70 years.

And I definitely can't wit another month for a Sufjan Stevens album

I'm sorry...when did hype become something important????????
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2015 23:48
  • Post subject:
Maybe try to make it a rule to not add an album until it leaks
  • Visit poster's website
goeie-oko

Netherlands

• Posted: 07/07/2015 08:06
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
I'm sorry...when did hype become something important????????

When has hype not been important?
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/07/2015 14:59
  • Post subject:
goeie-oko wrote:
When has hype not been important?

We seem to be in this "we have to be relevant and popular and important" mode around here. I still do not get why every new release has to be immediately devoured and rated and placed on charts. It's not like there's nothing else out there to listen to...you will never hear every album there is. And the new stuff will still be there a month later when (and if) it's actually officially released. Why is it so important to be the first to hear a leaked album? To rate it? To add it to BEA and to your charts?

Why does BEA have to be on top of all new releases? I didn't think the idea of BEA was to have a place to find all of the new music rated and talked about by a few forum regulars. I thought it was a place to determine, individually, what the best albums of all time are.

And we're not talking about just leaks, by the way. There are albums added to the database that haven't been leaked. The track list may have been announced, but there may have been just one or two tracks available to hear. Sometimes nothing at all. People add these. And then there's the rating and comment added by the user who blatantly states that his rating is based on his having NOT heard the unreleased album yet...reminds me of the immature social media ploy of getting the first comment in by typing "first".

AM determined that he didn't want unreleased albums here. he has given in to allow "future releases" (which I disagree with, but not my call). And now, that is being abused. We shouldn't have albums on an album site that are not officially albums yet. And, just my opinion, but I think the constantly growing emphasis on new releases is tiresome. It results in many new albums that are bad being added here just because they are new. Let the "hype" for all of the new stuff be on sites designed for new music. It's gotten almost to the point where all that's talked about here is new material. And to where the majority of albums being added to the site are 2015 albums. I think we'd be better served to not be so focused on all things new, especially when there is still so much out there that is undiscovered. The albums that are new will still be there.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website