4th Annual BEAMAs - Praise for AOTY Nominee BLACK MESSIAH

View previous topic :: View next topic
Wombi

• Posted: 07/17/2015 15:42
  • Post subject: 4th Annual BEAMAs - Praise for AOTY Nominee BLACK MESSIAH

from the quill of Sp4cetiger...

My first listen to Black Messiah felt like a momentous occasion. The opening track was a perfect microcosm of the rest of the album, so dense and finely honed, yet effortless at the same time. The song’s title, “Ain’t That Easy”, almost seemed like a piece of braggadocio from such a gifted musician (though the album’s 14-year wait would say the contrary). However, on transition to “1000 Deaths,” I had the feeling like the earth was rumbling beneath my feet. This was not to be a rehash of Voodoo, by any stretch, and however easy the music may sound, you could tell that it was coming from a very difficult, conflicted place.

however easy the music may sound, you could tell that it was coming from a very difficult, conflicted place.

It was interesting reading some of the early reactions to the album. Some saw it as a clear and focused political statement, while others experienced it as “snuggle music.” You can find examples of both of these themes in the lyrics and it’s actually pretty remarkable that the final product feels so cohesive, considering its apparent personality crisis. But I think it works because that’s what D’Angelo is. In fact, that’s what real human beings are. D’Angelo was never completely comfortable with fame because it required him to be a singular thing to be held up and objectified. Unlike Kendrick, who aspires to be his generation’s answer to 2Pac, D’Angelo wants to be able to do and say whatever strikes him, whatever feels immediate to him. The expectations that go along with being a sex symbol or a political figurehead would be too restrictive.

"it’s actually pretty remarkable that the final product feels so cohesive, considering its apparent personality crisis."

So then what is Black Messiah? I could compare it to a lot of things... What's Going On? is an obvious one, since both are political statements with a grand scope. Many have compared it to Prince, though Prince’s playful frivolities seem as if they would be impossible in the dense atmosphere D’Angelo creates here. His obsessive attention to every little detail in the music actually reminds me a bit of Kevin Shields’ masterpiece, Loveless. At the end of the day, however, perhaps it’s best not to try to pigeonhole the music, lest we misunderstand and fail to resonate with the man who created it. For my part, I take its many faces as they come to me. Sometimes I just want to study it and try to get even the smallest insight into the workings of his insanely honed musical mind, while other times I let it speak the words of an American black man scared and disturbed by his country’s direction. Most of the time, however, I just sit back and let it carry me away.

Last edited by Wombi on 07/17/2015 16:12; edited 1 time in total
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 07/17/2015 16:11
  • Post subject:
Lovely writeup, which pretty much sums up my thoughts (though I thought you sold Prince a little short). Seeing him live remains my musical highlight of this (and any other) year. Simply amazing. I actually think this is D'Angelo's best - one to treasure for a long, long time.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 07/17/2015 17:08
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
(though I thought you sold Prince a little short).

Yeah, I cringed a little when I reread that part. "Frivolities" was a poor word choice, Prince's playfulness is an indispenible part of his charm.
Hilloril

• Posted: 07/20/2015 12:45
  • Post subject:
I like to make friends To talk about this. I think it's a good topic.
  • Visit poster's website