• Post subject:
Bjork by a country mile.
  • Visit poster's website
zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2015 17:50
  • Post subject:
Not really comparable, but...

Tori Amos has more total albums that I like, but I enjoy my favorite Bjork album (Homegenic) more than my favorite Tori Amos album (Under the Pink). I will say that I think Bjork has remained more consistently interesting.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2015 19:29
  • Post subject:
Okay, I guess I better explain what I meant by "musical James Joyce".

Tori has been playing the piano by ear since she was 2 years old, and she was once the youngest person EVER to be admitted to the Peabody Conservatory of music. She knows what every tone (whether it be by piano, percussion, or vocal) conceptually means backwards and forward, and her art therefore isn't like a regular singer-songwriter, but as someone who ties contrasting tones together in pop music to make a special meaning. This is best shown on her masterpiece Boys For Pele, but you can even see it when she suddenly brings up Scooby Doo while talking about rape, or covering Britney Spears songs in a proggy melodramatic way.

Bjork is really smart, too, but her genius is much more as an aestheticist than as a conceptualist.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2015 20:55
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

Tori has been playing the piano by ear since she was 2 years old, and she was once the youngest person EVER to be admitted to the Peabody Conservatory of music. She knows what every tone (whether it be by piano, percussion, or vocal) conceptually means backwards and forward, and her art therefore isn't like a regular singer-songwriter, but as someone who ties contrasting tones together in pop music to make a special meaning. This is best shown on her masterpiece Boys For Pele, but you can even see it when she suddenly brings up Scooby Doo while talking about rape, or covering Britney Spears songs in a proggy melodramatic way.

Bjork is really smart, too, but her genius is much more as an aestheticist than as a conceptualist.

I'm not quite sure how being a child prodigy makes Tori more of a conceptualist than Bjork. Both were child prodigies anyway, so it's not like Tori has an above and beyond understanding of music, tone, composition over Bjork.

Both are incredibly talented, but I enjoy Bjork way way way more than Tori
  • Visit poster's website
m39difain

• Posted: 07/23/2015 22:31
  • Post subject:
bjork is way better, maybe if tori's music was a lot more electronic she would be as good be even then it probably wouldn't and even if bjork didn't do electronic music bjork would probably be better.

i would like to spend a weekend with tori more though
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/23/2015 23:28
  • Post subject:
m39difain wrote:
bjork is way better, maybe if tori's music was a lot more electronic she would be as good be even then it probably wouldn't and even if bjork didn't do electronic music bjork would probably be better.

i would like to spend a weekend with tori more though

go to bed thom its late.

I prefer Bjork, but Tori definitely has her strengths. I was about to call her a better lyricist but that's probably unfair considering I don't think that English is Bjork's first language (not that i'm any expert on the Icelandic school curriculum), not to mention that Tori's music (singer-songwriter oriented alt-rock) gives more of a chance to indulge lyrics than Bjork's Pop-oriented (but increasingly experimental and conceptual) electronic stylings.
  • Visit poster's website
ThrowBackG

• Posted: 07/24/2015 00:01
  • Post subject: So I'm reading the comments...
I'm reading all the comments and I reading that they are not really comparable, I guess your right. In terms of comparing. I thought it was tough because both artists have strong lyrics. If I ever do something like this again I'll try and make them more comparable.
sethzzzzz

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/03/2015 12:11
  • Post subject:
Byork
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2015 13:34
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

Well...she may have been accepted to Peabody at a very young age, but she also lost her scholarship and was asked to leave before her 12th birthday because she could not (and refused to) read music. I think the statement that she "knows what every tone (whether it be by piano, percussion, or vocal) conceptually means backwards and forward, and her art therefore isn't like a regular singer-songwriter, but as someone who ties contrasting tones together in pop music to make a special meaning."...may be a bit overreaching. She's a talented artist and a good songwriter, but "musical James Joyce" is probably stretching things by quite a bit.

Also, Bjork never did anything this horrifying...

Y Kant Tori Read by Y Kant Tori Read
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Trendall

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/03/2015 17:29
  • Post subject:
Bjork by a very very long way.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website