US Presidential Election 2016 Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
boyd94

• Posted: 12/22/2016 16:11
  • Post subject:
Allabaster wrote:
I fear the left has become too dogmatic, falling into the same patterns as the religious fundamentalism that they so despise. This, in turn, gives their enemies the appearance of righteous rebels.

There is nothing praiseworthy about rudeness towards marginalized groups, but neither is there virtue in self-righteous condemnation. The middle way is patience and understanding. It is the most difficult way, to be sure, but the only one that will truly improve the world.

I fear that ship has sailed to be honest. I envision a creeping build of tension and hostility over the next 5-10 years before something truly terrible happens. We are still dumb, scared animals at root and we view any challenge as the existential threat of the Other.

The Western world is fast turning sour and boring. I can take one in any society, but not both. I've already decided I'm leaving, it just remains to be seen where and for how long.
  • Visit poster's website
Allabaster

• Posted: 12/22/2016 16:34
  • Post subject:
boyd94 wrote:

I fear that ship has sailed to be honest. I envision a creeping build of tension and hostility over the next 5-10 years before something truly terrible happens. We are still dumb, scared animals at root and we view any challenge as the existential threat of the Other.

The Western world is fast turning sour and boring. I can take one in any society, but not both. I've already decided I'm leaving, it just remains to be seen where and for how long.

Surely we are made of stronger stuff than this. One generation fought bravely for its independence. Another waged a bloody civil war. Yet another stared its enemies in the face at Normandy and Iwo Jima. These were not creeping tensions or possible conflicts, they were real ones that our predecessors stared straight in the face.

Now an orange-faced buffoon with a Twitter account will send us running for the hills? Such cynicism deserves only the name of cowardice.
undefined

• Posted: 12/22/2016 23:57
  • Post subject:
Allabaster wrote:
I fear the left has become too dogmatic, falling into the same patterns as the religious fundamentalism that they so despise. This, in turn, gives their enemies the appearance of righteous rebels.

There is nothing praiseworthy about rudeness towards marginalized groups, but neither is there virtue in self-righteous condemnation. The middle way is patience and understanding. It is the most difficult way, to be sure, but the only one that will truly improve the world.

this is a sentiment that I can respect in principle but also find very troublesome. "The middle" is entirely relative to the current state of affairs, and given the current state of modern conservatism and (neo)liberalism, "the middle" still sits absurdly far to the right for my comfort. Now while liberals most certainly exhibit this rudeness towards the marginalized, I see this as less a motivator to find a middle ground between the two establishment parties, but to seek those ideals which lie very far from both (and no the "alt-right" really isn't all that far from the establishment) and that actually address some of the legitimate concerns raised by those same marginalized groups. There's a difference between fighting for their social and economic interests and moving closer to their currently held ideology.

remaining a centrist in this day and age seems noble but from my point of view it only works to actively maintain an oligarchy through the quelling disillusionment. There's a lot of anti-establishment thought in the Trump era; we have to work to maneuver it very far in the opposite direction of Trump himself
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/23/2016 01:11
  • Post subject:
the center cannot hold, you gotta swing one way or the other dude.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 12/23/2016 01:28
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:
the center cannot hold, you gotta swing one way or the other dude.

but also like the center is entirely relative. it seems foolish to always strive for it wherever it may lay
Allabaster

• Posted: 12/23/2016 11:57
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Allabaster wrote:

this is a sentiment that I can respect in principle but also find very troublesome. "The middle" is entirely relative to the current state of affairs, and given the current state of modern conservatism and (neo)liberalism, "the middle" still sits absurdly far to the right for my comfort. Now while liberals most certainly exhibit this rudeness towards the marginalized, I see this as less a motivator to find a middle ground between the two establishment parties, but to seek those ideals which lie very far from both (and no the "alt-right" really isn't all that far from the establishment) and that actually address some of the legitimate concerns raised by those same marginalized groups. There's a difference between fighting for their social and economic interests and moving closer to their currently held ideology.

remaining a centrist in this day and age seems noble but from my point of view it only works to actively maintain an oligarchy through the quelling disillusionment. There's a lot of anti-establishment thought in the Trump era; we have to work to maneuver it very far in the opposite direction of Trump himself

The middle I refer to is not a political center, it is a tempermental one. Patience and understanding may not change your views, and if they do change, there is no telling where on the political spectrum they will fall.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/23/2016 22:05
  • Post subject:

Link

Where do you guys stand on whether or not Trump can read?
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 12/25/2016 04:08
  • Post subject:
So yeah Trump wants to expand america's nuclear capacity.

How many BEAers here are willing to chip in on a bomb shelter?
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/30/2016 18:39
  • Post subject:

Link

• Visit poster's website
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 01/04/2017 16:38
  • Post subject:
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.co..._obamacare

Woohoo;
Your average leftist :"people are being manipulated to work against their own interests".
Me: "fuck people".