United States

• Posted: 08/14/2015 13:41
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA9NylXGJCk

Like so?

Spot on.
Well then I think me and Trout Mask Replica will get along quite well..
Satie

• Posted: 08/14/2015 15:23
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA9NylXGJCk

Like so?

Spot on.
Well then I think me and Trout Mask Replica will get along quite well..

godspeed
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2015 17:28
  • Post subject:
shaydndepriest wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:
Van Vliet wanted the whole band to "live" the Trout Mask Replica album. The group rehearsed Van Vliet's difficult compositions for eight months, living communally in their small rented house in the Woodland Hills suburb of Los Angeles. With only two bedrooms the band members would find sleep in various corners of one, while Vliet occupied the other and rehearsals were accomplished in the main living area. Van Vliet implemented his vision by completely dominating his musicians, artistically and emotionally. At various times one or another of the group members was "put in the barrel", with Van Vliet berating him continually, sometimes for days, until the musician collapsed in tears or in total submission.[62] Guitarist Bill Harkleroad complained that his fingers were a "bloody mess" as a result of Beefheart's orders that he use heavy strings.[63] Drummer John French described the situation as "cultlike"[64] and a visiting friend said "the environment in that house was positively Mansonesque".[5] Their material circumstances were dire. With no income other than welfare and contributions from relatives, the group barely survived and were even arrested for shoplifting food (Zappa bailed them out)[citation needed]. French has recalled living on no more than a small cup of beans a day for a month.[28] A visitor described their appearance as "cadaverous" and said that "they all looked in poor health". Band members were restricted from leaving the house and practiced for 14 or more hours a day.

Physical assaults were encouraged at times, along with verbal degradation. At one point Cotton ran from the house and escaped for a few weeks, during which time Alex Snouffer filled in for him and helped to work up Ant Man Bee. French, who had thrown a metal cymbal at Cotton, ran after him yelling that he too wanted to come. Cotton later returned to the house with French's mother, who took him away for a few weeks, but he later felt compelled to return, as did Cotton. Mark Boston at one point hid clothes in a field across the street, planning his own getaway.[citation needed]

John French's 2010 book Through the Eyes of Magic describes some of the "talks", which were initiated by his doing such things as playing a Frank Zappa drum part ("The Blimp (mousetrapreplica)") in his drumming shed, and not having finished drum parts as quickly as Beefheart wanted. French writes of being punched by band members, thrown into walls, kicked, punched in the face by Beefheart hard enough to draw blood, being attacked with a sharp broomstick.[65] Eventually Beefheart, French says, threatened to throw him out an upper floor window. He admits complicity in similarly attacking his bandmates during "talks" aimed at them. In the end, after the album's recording, Beefheart ejected French from the band by throwing him down a set of stairs, telling him to "Take a walk, man" after not responding in a desired manner to a request to "play a strawberry" on the drums. Beefheart replaced French with drummer Jeff Bruschel, an acquaintance of Hayden. Referred to as 'Fake Drumbo' (playing on French's drumset) this final act resulted in French's name not appearing on the album credits, either as a player or arranger. Bruschel toured with the band to Europe but was replaced by the next recording.

Now that is one terrifying album to listen to.

Disgusting. Supporting this album is supporting abuse, trauma, torture, evil, and inhumanity. He should have been jailed.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2015 17:33
  • Post subject:
WindowAbove wrote:
shaydndepriest wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:
Van Vliet wanted the whole band to "live" the Trout Mask Replica album. The group rehearsed Van Vliet's difficult compositions for eight months, living communally in their small rented house in the Woodland Hills suburb of Los Angeles. With only two bedrooms the band members would find sleep in various corners of one, while Vliet occupied the other and rehearsals were accomplished in the main living area. Van Vliet implemented his vision by completely dominating his musicians, artistically and emotionally. At various times one or another of the group members was "put in the barrel", with Van Vliet berating him continually, sometimes for days, until the musician collapsed in tears or in total submission.[62] Guitarist Bill Harkleroad complained that his fingers were a "bloody mess" as a result of Beefheart's orders that he use heavy strings.[63] Drummer John French described the situation as "cultlike"[64] and a visiting friend said "the environment in that house was positively Mansonesque".[5] Their material circumstances were dire. With no income other than welfare and contributions from relatives, the group barely survived and were even arrested for shoplifting food (Zappa bailed them out)[citation needed]. French has recalled living on no more than a small cup of beans a day for a month.[28] A visitor described their appearance as "cadaverous" and said that "they all looked in poor health". Band members were restricted from leaving the house and practiced for 14 or more hours a day.

Physical assaults were encouraged at times, along with verbal degradation. At one point Cotton ran from the house and escaped for a few weeks, during which time Alex Snouffer filled in for him and helped to work up Ant Man Bee. French, who had thrown a metal cymbal at Cotton, ran after him yelling that he too wanted to come. Cotton later returned to the house with French's mother, who took him away for a few weeks, but he later felt compelled to return, as did Cotton. Mark Boston at one point hid clothes in a field across the street, planning his own getaway.[citation needed]

John French's 2010 book Through the Eyes of Magic describes some of the "talks", which were initiated by his doing such things as playing a Frank Zappa drum part ("The Blimp (mousetrapreplica)") in his drumming shed, and not having finished drum parts as quickly as Beefheart wanted. French writes of being punched by band members, thrown into walls, kicked, punched in the face by Beefheart hard enough to draw blood, being attacked with a sharp broomstick.[65] Eventually Beefheart, French says, threatened to throw him out an upper floor window. He admits complicity in similarly attacking his bandmates during "talks" aimed at them. In the end, after the album's recording, Beefheart ejected French from the band by throwing him down a set of stairs, telling him to "Take a walk, man" after not responding in a desired manner to a request to "play a strawberry" on the drums. Beefheart replaced French with drummer Jeff Bruschel, an acquaintance of Hayden. Referred to as 'Fake Drumbo' (playing on French's drumset) this final act resulted in French's name not appearing on the album credits, either as a player or arranger. Bruschel toured with the band to Europe but was replaced by the next recording.

Now that is one terrifying album to listen to.

Disgusting. Supporting this album is supporting abuse, trauma, torture, evil, and inhumanity. He should have been jailed.

Must be better than supporting Mark Kozalek.

Last edited by Applerill on 08/15/2015 17:35; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2015 17:36
  • Post subject:
WindowAbove wrote:
If you were trying to ad hominem attack me it didn't work because I don't like supporting Kozelek either.

It was a joke. Don't take it personally.

But I definitely see your point. However, as Captain Beefheart is almost an outsider artist, emotional hostility is to be assumed from his music, just like with Burzum's. I definitely won't judge you for being against him, though.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/15/2015 18:47
  • Post subject:
WindowAbove wrote:

#BeefheartInTheHague
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 08/15/2015 19:05
  • Post subject:
WindowAbove wrote:

buying any electronic device that can access the Internet is a much more serious and direct ethical complication, since "supporting" this album can be done without financing continued abuse. i'm also not entirely sure how aesthetic appreciation of the outcome of abuse, particularly when that abuse isn't disclosed in the text in any way, has anything to do with implicating the listener/"supporter?" but do go on. i'm excited for the mental gymnastics.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2015 19:24
  • Post subject:
Perm didn't have to be that harsh, but I guess what Don did in this album is like what Steve Jobs did for the original Macintosh. He would basically abuse people and yell and throw things at them, but I don't think that buying Apple products is supporting that.

To me and many others, TMR is just as revolutionary and important as the Macintosh, so I can let that go. Maybe it could've been made without that situation, but as a major theme of the album is how nature is abused, it almost seems appropriate that they that.

(I really hope this doesn't sound insensitive. I definitely wouldn't be making these exceptions with 99 out of 100 cases)
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 08/15/2015 19:28
  • Post subject:
I would make these exceptions in 100 out of 100 cases. Unless abuse is communicated in the text itself, i.e. actually has something to do with the art that anyone approaching it without knowing extra-musical information would immediately be confronted with upon absorbing the art, or someone is trying to uphold the character of an artist as opposed to their ability to make good art, there is no reason to be a moralistic little internet gremlin about it. It's the most tired, obnoxious detritus of contemporary call-out culture.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 08/15/2015 19:38
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
...but as a major theme of the album is how nature is abused...

Could you elaborate? Never noticed this. I've always thought of this album as being rather playful and fun, (quite a contrast to the way Beefheart treated his magic band), but I've never considered it meaningful. I'm sure it is to some people, so I'm curious about this.

permafrost wrote:
contemporary call-out culture.

Link