Listening habits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 08/25/2015 22:10
  • Post subject:
When im at work its probably like 70-80% stuff ive previously heard, since i only use my ipod and downloading has been fairly scarce for me in the past year or so (tho ive been catching up a bit more recently but its still more often than not things ive heard already)

at home it might be closer to 50/50

so yeah 1/3 sounds about right. maybe a little less.
  • Visit poster's website
Pavement415

• Posted: 08/26/2015 01:08
  • Post subject:
Maybe ~80% first time listens? Most albums I only listen to most albums once though, and I usually end up downloading those that I want to hear a second or third time. I think it would be overwhelming for me to listen multiple times to every new album that I hear, though I feel really guilty that I don't.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/26/2015 01:41
  • Post subject:
Most of my listens are new listens. But not much more. Maybe 60%.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 08/26/2015 02:12
  • Post subject:
I'd say it's about half-and-half as well.
Precedent

• Posted: 08/26/2015 02:12
  • Post subject:
I'd say that about 97% of the albums that I listen to are albums that I'm listening to for the first time. I revisit only a handful of old albums, but I still love them. I retain information well and things tend to stick with me so one listen is usually enough for me to really appreciate an album. I listen to anywhere from 0 to 20 albums a day, it really just depends what I'm doing, etc. I walk a lot and I listen to music to create an atmosphere. I'd say on average, I listen to 7-8 albums a day and they're almost always first-listens.
Satie

• Posted: 08/26/2015 02:15
  • Post subject:
i used to obsessively listen to new albums, and i still get on streaks where i mow through five or ten in a day, marking only one or two worthy of re-visiting, but i spend a lot more time now meticulously listening to albums i have a vague fondness for so that i can really explore my feelings about albums. it's resulted in really being able to separate wheat from chaff more effectively. especially lately, i've taken to listening to old favorites to see how i re-appraise them with my current outlook on music, and the results are pretty interesting. i think now is the most fertile time for music listening i've ever had, and i inject new music at a dramatically lower rate than i ever did up until about eight months ago.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 08/26/2015 02:16
  • Post subject:
Precedent wrote:
I'd say that about 97% of the albums that I listen to are albums that I'm listening to for the first time. I revisit only a handful of old albums, but I still love them. I retain information well and things tend to stick with me so one listen is usually enough for me to really appreciate an album. I listen to anywhere from 0 to 20 albums a day, it really just depends what I'm doing, etc. I walk a lot and I listen to music to create an atmosphere. I'd say on average, I listen to 7-8 albums a day and they're almost always first-listens.

In pre-internet times, you'd be what is known as a multi-millionaire.

Smile
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/26/2015 09:44
  • Post subject:
There are some weeks in which the vast majority of albums I put on are new listens, and other weeks in which there are none. About 1/3 overall sounds about right.
Behrus58

Iran

• Posted: 08/26/2015 09:59
  • Post subject:
It is said that sounds can have the most power in resurrecting old feelings after smells. There come a lot of times that I go back to listen to bands like Coldplay or Muse because I used to love them when I was around 13-15. The music isn't that much enjoyable like it used to be, but the awoken feelings of my childish passion is just amazingly amusing. But all of us should listen to new music that we aren't used to, not only because of discovering a new great album, but for the benefits of opening up other asleep neural network parts in your brain. Listening to music you don't like at your first listen, can be very difficult, but also helping for growing up. It helps you to understand the world from a point of view you do not admire. It's somehow like reading a book, but much more memorable, because it's made of "Sounds". I would say only 20 percent of my listens are new listens, not because i'm too lazy to discover new materials, but for creating a material rebuilding my "todays" in the future with listening to them as the other 80 percent.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 08/26/2015 12:15
  • Post subject:
It really depends, this week I've listened to nothing new, but I'm still mixing it up with albums I love and albums I've not listened to enough, though that'll probably change in the next day or so as there are albums I've got my eye on and want to hear, not necessarily just new releases but older albums I've never heard and want to try. So overall I guess it's 50/50.

• Visit poster's website