You must watch the movie below you.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 08/31/2015 20:13
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
DBZ or craola, whichever one gets this film based on thread rules or whatever:

I believe that would be me, and actually I've already seen (and adore) Ichi. Big Miike fan. Gozu is an all time fave. Got anything else for me?

In the mean time, mind if I hit you with a film? This seems like it might fit what you're looking for

Kanashimi no Belladonna (dir. Eiichi Yamamoto; 1973)
undefined

• Posted: 09/03/2015 19:03
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
permafrost wrote:
DBZ or craola, whichever one gets this film based on thread rules or whatever:

I believe that would be me, and actually I've already seen (and adore) Ichi. Big Miike fan. Gozu is an all time fave. Got anything else for me?

*cough*
Satie

• Posted: 09/03/2015 19:06
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Kanashimi no Belladonna (dir. Eiichi Yamamoto; 1973)

don't mind you throwing a rec to me, though you might not wanna use it on this. this is at the very top of my backlog and is getting a watch this weekend regardless.

also, your something else (sorry, i'm terrible at following stuff in the Lounge):

if you have karagarga, do Lived Once a Song-Thrush (aka Once Upon a Time There Was a Singing Blackbird)
if you do not, check out Chuck E. Cheese in the Galaxy 5000 (proto-vaporwave film you should love, and widely available on public trackers afair)

would do pretty pictures but that's more effort than i care to put in while i'm hurriedly tabbing back and forth between this and our quarterly royalties report
undefined

• Posted: 09/03/2015 19:22
  • Post subject:
I love Once Upon a Time There Was a Singing Blackbird Smile

alright I'll get on the Chuck E. Cheese movie. I have absolutely no idea what to expect to needless to say I'm very excited.

Alright so if you're already gonna be checking out Belladonna (would be very interested in hearing your opinions on it regardless) then here I think you might really like this kinda experimental-ish Anime short

Jumping (dir. Osamu Tezuka; 1984)

EDIT 2: Oh wait you're looking for feature lengths sorry hold on I'll dig something up...

Alright try this one

Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space (dir. t.o.L; 2002)

Last edited by undefined on 09/04/2015 05:26; edited 1 time in total
undefined

• Posted: 09/03/2015 21:04
  • Post subject:
jesus fuck what am I watching

and why do I like it. This is worrisome
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/03/2015 22:44
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:

Brilliantly comical the most understated ways. Tati pulls humor out of places that seem obviously funny in retrospect but no other director really seems to explore. Robert Altman does the half-audible dialogue flowing into more half-audible dialogue thing too I guess but he implements it more to cultivate a dreamy atmosphere whereas Tati is just exploring the potential of odd and quirky sounds to cultivate laughter; it totally matches the visual comedy here, which is just perfect. Watching these poor bastards have the whole world prevent them from doing the simplest task is truly made into thing of beauty. It's fantastic observational comedy, finding humor in the mundane pieces of everyday existence that we never really stop to consider.

Trafic is the only Tati film that I've seen and not really cared for... it just didn't seem to click with me. I found it a bit of a bore. Playtime is an all-time fav though.

Anyway, here's my pick for you:

Saint Laurent (2014) dir. Bertrand Bonello

Not to get confused with Yves Saint Laurent directed by Jalil Lespert, which also came out last year.

I watched it last night and was pleasantly surprised Smile Super tasteful film, with fantastic graphics, imagery, cinematography, lighting, etc... really a delight for the eyes. The acting is astonishing as well. It is a tad long, and the plot dwindles, but certainly worth watching.
undefined

• Posted: 09/04/2015 05:26
  • Post subject:
Thanks Hayden I'll check it out! I tend like slow, visually appealing cinema so this actually sounds my speed.

Tyler that Chuck E. Cheese film.... I'm not entirely sure what to feel or think. This was easily the most unintentionally bizarre film I've ever seen. I keep typing and deleting various ideas related to my perception of the vaporwave aesthetic and maybe something about consumerist society... I don't know. I tried to use Computer Dreams as a reference point seeing as they both shared a fair degree camp and intense CGI, but CD's psychedelic visual trip-fest was just enjoyable for for its own colorful and wild visual structure (which in turn made the poorly-acted attempt at down-to-earth documentary bit seem even more out of place and surreal). Galaxy 5000 here is just so much more extreme, so much further down the road of "movies that I should probably enjoy for reasons very different than that for which they were designed". I dunno I probably need to immerse myself in vaporwave cinema to see just where something like this fits into the continuum but until then I honestly don't know what I think. Part of me feels guilty for not immediately condemning it because all conventional wisdom says it was awful (or at least "so bad it's good") but an equally loud part was genuinely intrigued and wants to make sense of it all. I dunno If anything it just scared me. Those heads are freaky.

Tyler I am extremely interested in your thoughts/analysis on this film
undefined

• Posted: 09/07/2015 18:55
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Anyway, here's my pick for you:

Saint Laurent (2014) dir. Bertrand Bonello

Not to get confused with Yves Saint Laurent directed by Jalil Lespert, which also came out last year.

I watched it last night and was pleasantly surprised Smile Super tasteful film, with fantastic graphics, imagery, cinematography, lighting, etc... really a delight for the eyes. The acting is astonishing as well. It is a tad long, and the plot dwindles, but certainly worth watching.

Really dug the movie Hayden. Many thanks for the rec. Review here

and now I send one your way? Hm I know you like non-narrative visually gorgeous stuff, so chances are you've already seen this but just in case, I'll throw you

The Color of Pomegranates (dir. Sergei Parajanov; 1969)

and if you you are already indeed familiar with this then here's a backup

The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello (dir. Anthony Lucas; 2005)
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/08/2015 01:09
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:

Really dug the movie Hayden. Many thanks for the rec. Review here

Awesome Smile Glad you liked it. It's a slightly unique film experience, and it's a really awesome movie when you have the time to just sit back and relax.

I'll give both of your recs a watch (eventually... school starts tomorrow, but maybe I'll get ahold of at least one of them for the weekend). The Color of Pomegranates has never really been on my list for some reason... It's never even occurred to me to watch it for some reason Laughing It sounds right up my alley.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 09/10/2015 00:47
  • Post subject:
Finally watched Africa Parting, shouldn't have taken me so long to watch a seven minute short, but I wanted to make sure I was in the mood for it. It was really beautiful and intense (the music was really good!) and the set design and main puppet were just gorgeous. I'm gonna watch this many more times, for sure. thanks Craola!