11%
 11%  [2]
Total Votes : 17

junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 06/23/2012 21:50
  • Post subject:
Don't forget when Rob Anders fell asleep at the meeting for homeless veterans... and then blamed it on a smear campaign from 'NDP hacks'.

Canadian politics is really sad right now.

When Jason Kenney called that Albertan politician a giant asshole in an official e-mail, he wouldn't apologize initially. IN the House of Commons, when called to apologize, instead, he insulted the NDP and Liberals - not addressing the issue at all. It's like asking a child to apologize for calling another child names, and instead, he calls you fat. I'm really disappointed with the childish pettiness on display from our elected Conservatives.

...and I'm not a Liberal or NDP supporter. I'm a free-agent. I've voted differently nearly every time.

Anyone out there happy with the behaviour of their elected officials? I think my mayor (Nenshi) is pretty good...
  • Visit poster's website
GoJetsGo

Holy See (Vatican City)

• Posted: 06/25/2012 14:58
  • Post subject:
Hmmph... I thought there were alot of Canadians on this site. Confused I guess bringing up an old election is stale news, but Harper's crap is still current. Never mind...
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/26/2012 01:45
  • Post subject:
Serves you right for voting for them then Laughing
GoJetsGo

Holy See (Vatican City)

• Posted: 06/26/2012 14:59
  • Post subject:
Well yeah... That was the point of my rant. Buyer's remorse. I held my nose when I voted. I knew better, and now I regret it.

Here's the latest - the Conservatives have a majority government - that means they are the government with no threat for another 3+ years. No campaigns, no elections. Yet they are still running attack ads against the other parties. For what end? The election is years away. Do your fucking job and govern the country - don't bash your opposition needlessly. Be constructive. Ugh.

http://blogs.canada.com/2012/06/25/new-...-policies/

The whole politics of attack ads makes me sick. Tell me why I should vote for you, not why your opponent is a fascist, communist, baby-eating drug-dealer. And at least wait until an election is called.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/27/2012 02:03
  • Post subject:
Attack Ads are a bit of a a foreign concept to me, we don't really do them. I mean politicians slag each other off at every opportunity but you don't see it on billboards or tv commercials, you have to watch the news or political programmes.

Actually political ads on tv are not even allowed except in the run up to an election where airtime is divided between the parties depending on how many seats they are contesting, and they're the most boring ads ever, just a senior party politician explaining their policies in 30 seconds. Given that spending on tv ads is pretty much the biggest expense for candidates this goes some way to taking the influence of money out of politics.

There's also a limit to how much parties are allowed to spend on an election campaign decided by how many seats they are contesting. The Conservatives spent nearly the maximum last time round which was £17million, obviously pretty insignificant compared to what gets spent in US presidential elections.

This billboard caused a bit of a scandal the other year, this is about the worst type of 'attack ad' you might see in the UK.

Presenting the situation as if it's a choice between a change to the voting system or the baby dies, this ad was mainly what made me vote yes. Really cheap politics.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 06/27/2012 18:14
  • Post subject:
The problem is I'm very socially left-wing (pro-gay/women's/whoeverthefuckelse's rights, pro-choice, pro-separation of church and state, pro-every drug, pro-a more lenient foreign policy), but very politically right-wing (pro-big budget cuts, anti-"big government", anti-bailouts, capitalism is #1), and as no political party supports my combo-beliefs I don't vote, because they'll all piss me off one way or another.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
GoJetsGo

Holy See (Vatican City)

• Posted: 06/27/2012 19:20
  • Post subject:
I'd suggest the Green Party - they're very left wing socially, and not as left-wing economically as many would think... ...as long as you're OK with their environmental positions.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 06/27/2012 19:35
  • Post subject:
GoJetsGo wrote:
I'd suggest the Green Party - they're very left wing socially, and not as left-wing economically as many would think... ...as long as you're OK with their environmental positions.

Yeah, I find their environment positions to be a little... extreme, and possibly detrimental to current city planning.

I'm also waaaay pro-nuclear power, which puts me at odds with most of the green party supporters I know.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/27/2012 21:00
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Yeah, I find their environment positions to be a little... extreme, and possibly detrimental to current city planning.

I'm also waaaay pro-nuclear power, which puts me at odds with most of the green party supporters I know.

The biggest reason I don't vote Green in the UK is their absurd stance on nuclear power. Couldn't speak for the Canadian Greens but ours are more left wing economically than the three main parties.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/27/2012 21:05
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
very politically right-wing (pro-big budget cuts, anti-"big government", anti-bailouts, capitalism is #1)

Yeah I remember the university fees thread Rolling Eyes

Razz