suggestions relating to genres

View previous topic :: View next topic
DarkSideOfTheComputer

• Posted: 09/28/2015 13:22
  • Post subject: suggestions relating to genres
Would it be possible to get genre charts and have the genre of the album by its photo so that when people choose to browse through a list of, say for example, best albums of 1996 (through statistics), they don't have to click on the album and all its information to know what genre it is?
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/28/2015 14:05
  • Post subject:
there isn't genre data currently available in any form, as far as i know. it would require a genre tagging system or, more usefully, a genre voting system, and a large time investment. i'm not sure what the current status on such a system is. i know this has been discussed extensively before.
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2015 17:34
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
there isn't genre data currently available in any form, as far as i know. it would require a genre tagging system or, more usefully, a genre voting system, and a large time investment. i'm not sure what the current status on such a system is. i know this has been discussed extensively before.

There is that large problem of "What genres do we include?" and "How do we organize them so you aren't drowning in them?". How far to go is the biggest problem (Years of recorded music are finite and objective, genres are not). Surely "Electronic" will be a genre, but what about "House"? And then past house music we have "Deep House", "Acid House", "Witch House" and a shitload of others.

Also consider that Genre lists would probably become available close to the time "Year Lists would", at about Level 6 or 7, and considering you have Custom Charts at Level 7, is there really a point?

I feel like I know what you want, which is a RYM style customization of charts based on genres, and the reality is that list doesn't work very well either.
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 09/28/2015 17:49
  • Post subject:
definitely not for this on here, try using www.rateyourmusic.com if you're looking for genre charts Very Happy
Satie

• Posted: 09/28/2015 18:19
  • Post subject:
plus, genre votes would likely be point earning devices, meaning that a bunch of JMen would be running around trying to put in their two cents' worth on every single release on the website, and the reality is that very few people are very good at objectively assessing every genre. this ranges from fans of certain styles such as Brostep insisting such a distinction doesn't exist and trying to pretend the music they like sounds like The Bug and takes influence from '70s Jamaican music when it clearly doesn't to people who don't like or understand certain styles casting votes ignorantly (i would wager that the majority of so-called "black metal" albums on RYM were mistagged, for example).

on the other hand, a brand new system could look to RYM and its flaws for better implementation. for example, individuals with more of x genre on their charts would get their votes for or against that genre weighed more heavily. idk, just musing. i also am against the idea of genre integration on BEA
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/28/2015 18:22
  • Post subject:
I'm also opposed to it as I've seen how the system has been abused.
  • Visit poster's website
FlorianJones

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2015 06:03
  • Post subject:
Albummaster wrote:
This is BEA's tenth anniversary year and I'm really wanting to use this year to complete some of the bigger improvements on the list. Once the site is relaunched with a new design, it is then intended that genre tagging be developed (possibly with a small update in-between to pick up the most urgent issues on the change log & to fix any issues that might arise from the re-design).

Straight from the man himself.
PanduArya

Indonesia

• Posted: 09/29/2015 17:48
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
a bunch of JMen would be running around trying to put in their two cents' worth on every single release on the website

What is JMen on about? His name (???) has been said quite often since the day I registered and I still got no idea what was happening. Neutral
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2015 18:15
  • Post subject:
PanduArya wrote:
What is JMen on about? His name (???) has been said quite often since the day I registered and I still got no idea what was happening. Neutral

JMan was an obnoxious and occasionally entertaining user who has since left the forums.

In this instance, permafrost is referring to the fact that JMan used to consider himself the almighty god of genres and felt it his place to determine what genres each piece of music fit into (going so far as to have a whole chart dedicated to the "most diverse" albums, which by his definition, meant they "had the most genres")

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2015 21:03
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
JMan was an obnoxious and occasionally entertaining user who has since left the forums.

A lot of it was unintentional, which only emphasized both the obnoxiousness and the entertainment factor.
  • Visit poster's website