The Metal Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2016 15:06
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
Trying to keep better tabs on metal releases this year. RYM is doable-ish, but it takes lots of digging to make sure I'm not missing anything I might like. Anyone have preferred metal sources for someone whose favorite subgenres are black, death, and I guess more and more lately grindcore and thrash? Anything anyone wants to recommend from the past month for me to look into?

My favorite metal releases from this year so far:

Le Dernier Crépuscule by Chthe'ilist

Death metal heavily influenced by bands like Demilich and Crematory

Existence Is Horror by The Lion's Daughter

Heavy, despairing death metal, very powerful, but very rewarding

Nocturnal Masquerade by Toothgrinder

Lots of variety, from harsh vocals to melodic singing, really excellent guitar playing (not just mindless shredding), lots of character to this.

In Ruin by Cauldron

Good old fashioned speed metal. Nothing new, but it's executed really well.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2016 16:31
  • Post subject:
Hey Gowi, I'm listening to

Marrow Of The Spirit by Agalloch for the first time, and it may be my favorite Agalloch album :O

It just feels so post-punky and fun in its darkness.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2016 16:38
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

Marrow Of The Spirit by Agalloch for the first time, and it may be my favorite Agalloch album :O

Love that one. I think it's my third-favorite Agalloch release behind The Mantle (obviously) and Ashes Against The Grain.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 02/08/2016 17:56
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the recs, Rocky. I'll try to dig into a couple of those sometime soon.
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2016 19:06
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
Thanks for the recs, Rocky. I'll try to dig into a couple of those sometime soon.

Of course! I'm interested to hear what you think.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/10/2016 21:01
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Applerill wrote:

Love that one. I think it's my third-favorite Agalloch release behind The Mantle (obviously) and Ashes Against The Grain.

It’s most certainly another great Agalloch release, but for me personally I feel like this isn’t even close to their top three records though it feels weird arguing that with a band with such a small discography when it comes strictly to their full-length records. I know it's not quite popular consensus, but Marrow of the Spirit is only slightly better than their debut and plenty behind The Serpent & the Sphere due to well, Serpent actually feeling like a complete Agalloch record. Marrow focuses too much on their black metal influences whilst Serpent hones in on the sounds that made The Mantle and Ashes so well-regarded (which is why it surprises me people think it is their weakest effort yet).

That said, I do love Marrow and I would definitely not agree with the perspective that it is “fun”. Fun is the opposite of what Agalloch sounds like and represents. Unless you prefer melancholic misery and desolation with thick black metal/doom metal foundations equals fun to you… which doesn’t make much sense to me.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 02/10/2016 21:03
  • Post subject:
I like Marrow quite a lot, and it's probably the only Agalloch release that I would plant firmly in black metal land (generally my favorite country in metal land) without too much outside influence, but I'm with Gowi that it's far from their best
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 02/10/2016 22:18
  • Post subject:
Anything in the vein of Dopesmoker, Absolutego, and maybe Satan Worshipping Doom that I should be aware of? I'm looking for albums of long 20+ minute (60 minute is a bonus), repetitive songs with downtuned guitars and drums (so no drone) and preferably voice somewhere in there. Doesn't necessarily have to be in the stoner vein, just getting tired of all the Sabbath rehash in the genre.
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2016 01:44
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Anything in the vein of Dopesmoker, Absolutego, and maybe Satan Worshipping Doom that I should be aware of? I'm looking for albums of long 20+ minute (60 minute is a bonus), repetitive songs with downtuned guitars and drums (so no drone) and preferably voice somewhere in there. Doesn't necessarily have to be in the stoner vein, just getting tired of all the Sabbath rehash in the genre.

How do you feel about early Earth stuff? Like Hex or The Bees Made Honey? I don't know if that's too close to drone. Or maybe Electric Wizard-type stuff? Or are you looking for something more like sludge, like Melvins-type stuff?

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/11/2016 01:54
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:

I spent some close time with doom metal and its variants to have an idea of what you are looking for. Some of these might sound a bit too obvious but I would suggest material by Weedeater, late Celtic Frost, Bongzilla, Esoteric, Triptykon, Acid Bath, Entropia, Eyehategod, and Iron Monkey-- these bands might not be all similar but have some of the traits you described that you are looking for so they might be worth a look.

Last edited by mickilennial on 02/11/2016 02:17; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website