Movie Newbie

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
KilgoreTrout

United States

• Posted: 10/07/2015 23:06
  • Post subject: Movie Newbie
O.K., so when it comes to movies, I am one of the most "under-watched" people I know. I seriously haven't seen anything (outside of a handful of the classics.)

So this question goes out to all the serious movie buffs out there. If you could recommend 10 movies to a person who is about out of touch with cinema as one can be in the 21st century, to act as a f intro to good movies, what would they be?
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/07/2015 23:16
  • Post subject:
Well don't we have the thing for you Cool

1990's
2000's
2010's so far
Animated

I'd recommend that you watch the top 2 or 3 that you haven't seen yet from each list Smile
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 10/08/2015 17:28
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Well don't we have the thing for you Cool

1990's
2000's
2010's so far
Animated

I'd recommend that you watch the top 2 or 3 that you haven't seen yet from each list Smile

I second these lists.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/08/2015 18:32
  • Post subject:
just dont do it mate, better off.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 10/08/2015 18:44
  • Post subject:
not necessarily my favorites (though most are among them), but these are the 10 movies I'd likely tell a past version of myself to watch to get a sense of the film world that I now tend to absorb

Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker
Ingmar Bergman's Persona (and The Seventh Seal if you have the time)
Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless
Jean Renoir's The Rules of the Game
Carl Theodor Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Ark
Federico Fellini's 8 1/2
Yasujiro Ozu's Tokyo Story
Something by Kurosawa (probably Seven Samurai, Rashomon, or Ikiru (or maybe Ran))
Fritz Lang's M (and probably also Metropolis)
Dziga Vertov's Man With a Movie Camera

obviously there's a fuckton more but these are the first that came to mind
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 10/08/2015 22:21
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
not necessarily my favorites (though most are among them), but these are the 10 movies I'd likely tell a past version of myself to watch to get a sense of the film world that I now tend to absorb

Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker
Ingmar Bergman's Persona (and The Seventh Seal if you have the time)
Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless
Jean Renoir's The Rules of the Game
Carl Theodor Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Ark
Federico Fellini's 8 1/2
Yasujiro Ozu's Tokyo Story
Something by Kurosawa (probably Seven Samurai, Rashomon, or Ikiru (or maybe Ran))
Fritz Lang's M (and probably also Metropolis)
Dziga Vertov's Man With a Movie Camera

obviously there's a fuckton more but these are the first that came to mind

Seeing any of these movies for a "movie newbie" (whatever that is) is like reading Finnegan's Wake or Molloy for your first novel. I don't think that's a wise move (you may call it unhealthy because although it may be harder to extract any meaning out of these, it's still very much possible to like them even if you haven't had any other introduction to the medium [some would say it'd be even better to do it that way so you're not exposed to stereotypes yet; I don't agree with that because any adult is exposed to cliches in narration techniques from the bombardment of narrative they've been exposed to in one shape or the other]) . I remember when I first read Chekhov short stories I liked their atmosphere but was like "how is this a story?"
undefined

• Posted: 10/08/2015 22:31
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
Seeing any of these movies for a "movie newbie" (whatever that is) is like reading Finnegan's Wake or Molloy for your first novel. I don't think that's a wise move (you may call it unhealthy because although it may be harder to extract any meaning out of these, it's still very much possible to like them even if you haven't had any other introduction to the medium [some would say it'd be even better to do it that way so you're not exposed to stereotypes yet; I don't agree with that because any adult is exposed to cliches in narration techniques from the bombardment of narrative they've been exposed to in one shape or the other]) . I remember when I first read Chekhov short stories I liked their atmosphere but was like "how is this a story?"

hm yeah quite possibly. I see what you're saying, though I'd still maintain that at least Kurosawa, Lang, and possibly Ozu are all still easily as enjoyable for a relative "movie newbie" as they would for by an experienced viewer. Curious as to what you would recommend as a starting point
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 10/08/2015 22:48
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
hm yeah quite possibly. I see what you're saying, though I'd still maintain that at least Kurosawa, Lang, and possibly Ozu are all still easily as enjoyable for a relative "movie newbie" as they would for by an experienced viewer. Curious as to what you would recommend as a starting point

I have no idea man Laughing something with a straightforward plot that isn't also shit maybe. But how is that supposed to help anyone watch something that doesn't have a straightforward plot? It's like saying watch Straight Story ( Wink ) first and then you can understand Mulholland Drive lol.
KilgoreTrout

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2015 02:45
  • Post subject:
Okay well I have decided to first familiarize myself with "popular" contemporary directors, one at a time. I saw Wes Anderson's name frequently on the 2000-on charts so I went ahead and watched Grand Budapest Hotel today.

I thought it was a good (maybe even great). I won't expand on that because, well, who the hell am I to pose as a movie critic?
undefined

• Posted: 10/09/2015 20:55
  • Post subject:
KilgoreTrout wrote:
Okay well I have decided to first familiarize myself with "popular" contemporary directors, one at a time. I saw Wes Anderson's name frequently on the 2000-on charts so I went ahead and watched Grand Budapest Hotel today.

I thought it was a good (maybe even great). I won't expand on that because, well, who the hell am I to pose as a movie critic?

I'll take the opinion of some guy on the internet over a "professional" critic 9 times out of 10