Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/05/2015 19:06
  • Post subject: National Novel Writing Month

Site | Wikipedia

Jackwc posted the original topic but it is locked and buried nowadays. Whilst I haven't participated in some time I decided to give it another swing this year. I know we don't have many [fiction] writers here, at least I don't think we do, but I thought it'd be a good notion for discussion in general. I've never actually completed the challenge/contest before so here I am hoping this year will be a better one for it plus it is a good area to get my thoughts on to figurative paper and actually get my creative narrative juices flowing.

Anyone?
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 11/05/2015 19:27
  • Post subject:
not a chance in hell I'll actually have time for this but I love the idea and in a perfect world I would totally participate. Would love to see what some of you could come up with. A BEA collaborative novel would be amazing but it would devolve into nothing but obscure musical references and memes by chapter 3
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 11/05/2015 19:31
  • Post subject:
Collaboration requires authors being able to be on the same page and communicate so much that I know that's a project I'd never want to see happen. Also, yeah, it'd end up into a big old joke quite quickly. If you are interested I can get the bulk of an old attempt or two (since I'm five days behind on this years Nano) in the meantime.
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2015 19:36
  • Post subject:
ive never done it before, but some of my cousins are religious about doing it each year and always seem to get it done, but i cant comment to the quality of their writing. (i remember one in particular, altho this was when he was much younger, got to the word count by having one character frequently recite the periodic table)

i used to be into writing "novels" when i was in middle and early high school, but lately i find that im only really interested in writing short fiction, from a paragraph to like a dozen or so pages. most of it is just stream of consciousness stuff not fit for consumption by anyone, but sometimes i feel inspired enough to focus up (altho i still try to channel the SOC energy -- just in a more directed/cohesive way)

i would be curious to hear more about your ideas gowi!

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 11/05/2015 19:44
  • Post subject:
My 2012 novel was basically inspired by Futility: or the Wreck of the Titan, Seikai: Crest of the Stars, and A Game of Thrones. I'll dig around in my external to see what I can find. But yeah, basically Crisis was:

Set in the distant future, a exploration ship titled the Eden soon finds itself and it's passengers in a field of conflicts in the unexplored reaches of space. Working to survive in the alien and dangerous reaches of the galaxy will prove a challenge to the inhabitants of the Eden as time unfolds.

Actually that synopsis tells you nothing about it. Basically it was a space pulp character-driven piece about the suffocation of space and the stories of various people on the starship EDEN as internal and outward problems began to take shape. Basically it was Space Titanic but there was no Space Iceberg quite yet. The Game of Thrones influence was in the way perspectives were written and I forget all of the POVs. I never got past like 10,000 words because of "life". I might just have to re-write it if I cannot find the files.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/05/2015 20:04
  • Post subject:
Ah, if it weren't in English... Presently working on something I'm compelled to write, would love to finally make something worthwhile out of it, as I feel I really need to do it. Time is not on my side though - and the language this competition is about isn't either, although, come to think of it, it might help things a bit....
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 11/05/2015 20:07
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Can I participate if I’m not American? Can I write a novel in any language?

Definitely! We’re an international nonprofit with participants around the world.

You’re welcome to write in whichever language you’re most comfortable with. Unfortunately, our word-count validator doesn’t read non-Latin characters properly, so we encourage you to generate an estimated word count using a random-text generator.

There isn't a rule against writing in non-English, though?
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2015 20:08
  • Post subject:
Ya know, I still have the first three parts of the Best Ever Novel in EPub. Anyone interested in concluding the saga?
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 11/05/2015 20:09
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Ya know, I still have the first three parts of the Best Ever Novel in EPub. Anyone interested in concluding the saga?

Someone sent me that once, and dear god I don't even know where to begin.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 11/05/2015 20:14
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Someone sent me that once, and dear god I don't even know where to begin.

Is it comparable in quality to BEACore music?