Swede, Crackle 'n' Pop!

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/05/2015 20:31
  • Post subject: Swede, Crackle 'n' Pop!
I wanted to be the first here but Tyler snatched that from beneath me, so I snatched the idea of having a fun subject. And here, look, a picture :O

Okay but seriously now. As Satie stated I hope this provides a nice place to stretch my legs and whatnot, to go more in-depth with what I'm listening to instead of just spamming the "what album are you listening to right now" thread with one sentence about how much I'm enjoying something, or simply relying on last.fm to showcase what I've been listening to. I plan to keep all that I've listened to in a day in one post so as to not completely spam this topic and flood it with pages upon pages of what I'm listening to.

I'd love it if you could recommend me things! :3

Last edited by SuedeSwede on 11/06/2015 00:15; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/05/2015 20:32
  • Post subject:
5th November, 2015

Chuck Person's Eccojams Vol.1 by Chuck Person

After listening to All Screwed Up - the main influence for early vaporwave's mixing techniques - last night for the first time, it occurred to me that I'd not even checked out the genre's "root" (although Far Side Virtual could be considered as also being part of its roots). So, I went ahead and did exactly that. And it's rather lovely, it's clearly influenced primarily by DJ Screw's chopped and screwed technique - applying this to cutting up/slowing down 70s/80s pop. The effect is a really hazey listen, with gorgeous textures and melodies all over the place.

I find it rather ironic that Daniel Lopatin (most commonly known under his Oneohtrix Point Never moniker) made this album as a sort-of joke, initially just toying with the chopped and screwed technique within a pop context, as the product is actually really great. And, of course, it pretty much innovated a whole new sound along with it, so there's that.

Floral Shoppe by Macintosh Plus

This must be about my 4th listen in the last few days - it's really a lush album and deserves its place as vaporwave's "poster child". I really would enjoy it more if it were to the standard of the first three tracks, which are just about some of the best pieces of music I've heard. The first track, ブート, kicks the album off with an initially eerie note; the textures are wonderful and I love how those synths have a strange unity with the production. Then it moves onto the pivotal track, リサフランク420 / 現代のコンピュー, which I think is literally impossible to not love. I feel everything said (in jest, or in complete seriousness) about the "vaporwave aesthetic" is really based off of this track alone: it's swirly, kitschy, joyous but with an eeriness to it, and through the whole 7 minutes it is just one of the most transcendent pieces of music - I feel lifted and at ease with the world. The subsequent track, 花の専門店 , is the only track to really contest with it - its glitchy, fractured nature is to die for.

And, obviously, I could go on giving a track-by-track account of this, but I shan't. This album falls down a little after the third track, but really that's no slight. It's still an incredible album and has some major highlights further along the line, and generally keeps its consistency. It could soon become a favourite very easily.

Sailorwave by マクロスMACROSS 82-99

Really starting to build up a consistent theme for today, eh? Not intentional, really. Sadly, I'm not sure I can write much about this album, although I do really love it. But what can I say? The production is gorgeous, hopping around from nu-disco to french house to ambient styled productions, and it has this beautiful flow throughout. Its sound is akin to really bright colours flashing by your eyes, but a really mellow palette of like blues, pinks, and purples: all swirling together in this glittery way. That's the word. Glittery. That's exactly what this album is. It evokes pure joy, and I just want to twizzle and twizzle and twizzle to its gorgeous synths. And, my word, did I mention how funky this is? Like, that's sometimes a word that's a little overused and it's somewhat lost its power, but really, it is funky as all hell.

For You by 山下達郎 [Tatsuro Yamashita]

Memories In Beach House by Seaside Lovers

Both of these albums are very stylistically similar, and created similar emotional responses, so I'll just talk about them as a collective. This was my first delving into the world of city pop - a genre that arose in the late 70s and carried through to the mid 80s in Japan, blending aesthetics from synth funk, smooth jazz, jazz pop, etc. to create luscious, relaxing textures and, as written on RYM "reflects a life of luxury in a sophisticated urban environment". And I have to say I really love what's going on. Although both albums have their inconsistencies, they both have their peaks, that are really extraordinary. Beautifully smooth, elegant synths surround the gorgeous melodies that are on display, connoting this almost at-ease feeling towards life. I reckon Memories in Beach House would be the perfect album to listen to whilst re-enacting its cover art, or lying on a float in the middle of an isolated swimming pool on a baking hot day, occasionally sipping from a cocktail and basking in the heat.

Last edited by SuedeSwede on 11/06/2015 00:13; edited 4 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 11/05/2015 20:32
  • Post subject:
Lights... Camera... Tom!
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/06/2015 00:16
  • Post subject:
Updated with what is seemingly all I'll be listening to tonight - though if I happen to come across anything which really tickles my fancy (or if you recommend me something and sell it to me SO MUCH that I just HAVE to listen to it RIGHT NOW) I might edit tonight's entry a little more.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/06/2015 20:41
  • Post subject:
Unintelligible musings (Wink) to come in the next couple hours, but meanwhile it's time for a...

quickfire  round

First person to recommend me an album that fits with the current "theme" of the log (slick production/funky synths/glitchy, manipulated electronic) and isn't ridiculously long (anything up to 2hrs should be fine) gets the grand prize of me listening to and rambling about the album of choice. Check if I've already heard it or not here.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2015 20:51
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
Unintelligible musings (Wink) to come in the next couple hours, but meanwhile it's time for a...

quickfire  round

First person to recommend me an album that fits with the current "theme" of the log (slick production/funky synths/glitchy, manipulated electronic) and isn't ridiculously long (anything up to 2hrs should be fine) gets the grand prize of me listening to and rambling about the album of choice. Check if I've already heard it or not here.

How about this (it's glitchy-ish except not really but it's electronic and I love it so there's that)

Doll Doll Doll by Venetian Snares

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/06/2015 20:57
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
How about this (it's glitchy-ish except not really but it's electronic and I love it so there's that)

Doll Doll Doll by Venetian Snares

Link

CONGRATULATIONS!

You have won the grand prize of me listening to and rambling about Doll Doll Doll
undefined

• Posted: 11/06/2015 21:02
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:

quickfire  round

African Electronic Music 1975-1982 by Francis Bebey
go go go

EDIT: SON OF A BITCH ROCKY
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2015 21:05
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 11/06/2015 21:09
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
dividesbyzero wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

I guess I can forgive you (this time) seeing as you did throw down a pretty dope album (and I am quite looking forward to seeing what Tom has to say about it)