Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/22/2016 18:12
  • Post subject:

Link

seriously why does this go so hard

Anyway aside from that comp I've been listening to:

Horace Silver And The Jazz Messengers b...Messengers

apparently important in the development of hard bop, it basically just struck me as yer average hard bop - punchy, fun, some great drumming, worth your time if this is what you're into.

75/100

Daddy's Highway by The Bats

I liked near enough everything on here. But I'm not giving it an 85 like I usually would. Why?

and also my rating average is much too high - i shouldn't be rating over a third of everything I listened to 85 and over, especially in cases like this where I likely wouldn't return to it much

80/100

Genius Of Modern Music, Vol. 2 by Thelonious Monk

Thelonious Monk is one of those artists who's genius, based off of what, admittedly little, I've heard never really shone through. Until this. Comprised of singles he made for Blue Note, each track is great, with fine playing from all, especially Monk himself. Very innovative for its time.

85/100

Bossa Nova Soul Samba by Ike Quebec

I know its bossa nova but this is really just a bit too low key for my liking.

55/100

Empyrean Isles by Herbie Hancock

herbie hancock you fucking sukc

50/100

Will write a little something about each tomorrow.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/25/2016 00:52
  • Post subject:

Songs For Swingin' Lovers! by Frank Sinatra

In The Wee Small Hours by Frank Sinatra

Watching the documentary "All or Nothing At All" reminded me how fucking great Sinatra was. And these two albums are him at his peak. His voice had matured into a wonderful, charismatic croon, gliding through songs almost effortlessly. And of course, Nelson Riddle's arrangements are impeccable. Wee Small Hours in particular, is weirdly good for an album that's over 60 years old - not only was it one of the first real pop albums, but it's still amongst the best.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/25/2016 03:30
  • Post subject:

Link

I believe past me has said Elvis was overrated or bad or something. I already despise past me for a number of reasons so I'm not afraid to say that asshole has no idea what he's on about. Humanity did nothing to deserve this vocal melody, and the chords underpinning it were bought only with the sum of its failed potential.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/26/2016 21:11
  • Post subject:
I am quite tired but before I sleep I've decided to revisit this.

Bat Out of Hell by Meat Loaf

You have no idea how many times I've heard this album through out my life (honestly... so many...) but right now (two tracks in) it's sounding better than ever. I know there's a bunch of lame ballads coming up but there's also Paradise so that makes up for it all really.

edit: did I say lame ballads? I meant good ballads, very good ballads.

edit 2: c'mon now y'all any album with the title track and the glory that is paradise by the dashboard light can't be that bad

edit 3: FOR CRYYYYNG OUT LOOOOUUUD YOU KNOW I LOOOOVEEE YOUUUU

I think this will have to be at least a 90. Overall worthy? Dohohohoho who knoooooows?
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/02/2016 22:28
  • Post subject:
I've realised the folly of trying to write anything substantive about instrumental music I'm not well acquainted with but I've been listening to these recently and enjoyed them, and more importantly I need y'all to enjoy them or else I've no chance in the BLT so here's some good jazz stuff.

The Herbie Nichols Trio by Herbie Nichols

A Night At The Village Vanguard by Sonny Rollins

The Cooker by Lee Morgan

^All fairly standard hard bop for their time. Herbie's a great pianist and Sonny ofc is a pro.

Dialogue by Bobby Hutcherson

Weird, kinda sparse avant-jazz, with Freddie Hubbard and Andrew Hill featuring. Gloomy and strange, it's very interesting.

One thing I didn't like was this.

This entire EP feels like wasted potential. There's a lot here that I feel could be something good - Charli mostly really - but it falls flat. Really anything other than the hooks and choruses just feels weak, and even not them all the time. Secret is the best example of this for me - though thats mostly just because the lyrics are so horribly cliche that it just sours the whole song for me ("everybod knows good grils dont do blah blah this sentiment is tired and old as shit). Paradise is basically the ultimate in ringtone-core (and that is not a good thing), the title track suffers from weak verses which drag down a brilliant chorus and Trophy is the sound of someone coming to kill me with a hammer. I'm repeating myself so i'll just say

this ep is a MESS
this ep is a WASTE
this ep is a BIG FAT MISTAKE

50/100
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/05/2016 09:45
  • Post subject:
Only one way to celebrate your Bday when you're slightly hungover and it's 9:30 am. WITH MODAL JAZZ!!

A Love Supreme by John Coltrane

EDIT: Coltranes bad for headaches.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/05/2016 21:11
  • Post subject:
A Log Supreme... hehe.

"EDIT: Coltranes bad for headaches." hahaha yup... sometimes causes them for me.

Also I had a hard time getting into Bob Dylan... and what I realized is I liked his lyrics and not music... so this album somehow connected with me because the focus is more on his lyrics than attempting to be a good performer (which I think he lacks in)... although songs like Just Like a Woman and Tangled Up in Blue are pretty good performances.

Check this album out if you haven't? Focus on the lyrics?

Favorite tracks are:
Only a Pawn in their Game and God on their side... some powerful stuff.

The Times They Are A-Changin' by Bob Dylan
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/06/2016 19:16
  • Post subject:
I do love Dylan actually - Blood On The Tracks in my top 50, and Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde and Bringing It All Back Home are all high in my estimations. But I've never been a fan of folkie Dylan, including The Times - much of his folk stuff sounds too rambling, and whilst you could say the same about some of his rock stuff, it's harder to take when it's just Dylan and an acoustic then when it's Dylan and a whole band behind him.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2016 20:14
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:
I do love Dylan actually - Blood On The Tracks in my top 50, and Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde and Bringing It All Back Home are all high in my estimations. But I've never been a fan of folkie Dylan, including The Times - much of his folk stuff sounds too rambling, and whilst you could say the same about some of his rock stuff, it's harder to take when it's just Dylan and an acoustic then when it's Dylan and a whole band behind him.

Gotcha. Funny, cause I'm kinda backwards on that... well for "The Times" because I feel it showcased what he's good at: songwriting. I don't think he's a great performer... so when you add more to his music, it doesn't maintain the songwriting as well... BUT there are serious exceptions to that of course. There are some AMAZING songs he does with full band... I just have yet to find a full band album I really like. I listened to his whole discography once and just couldn't find one album I thought was amazing beginning to end like Times. That's my opinion of course.

Another side of Bob Dylan I thought was terrible as well. I think the content for Times is REALLY good stuff... but that was after a few listens of actually listening to what he's talking about, and when I realized it was a great piece on class struggle (something I associate with), it became a favorite (It only took two listens though and my first listen I wasn't turned off by it, I just didn't fully understand it). But I will agree that Another side is kinda terrible as an album... couple good songs.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/10/2016 18:53
  • Post subject:
Grimes was good. Would have likely been into it more if I had heard Art Angels more/enjoyed it more.

Anyway I've been listening to these recently.

Afro-Cuban by Kenny Dorham

Incredibly hot Hard Bop drenched in latin sounds. Absolutely reccomend.

Mode For Joe by Joe Henderson

Apparently Joe's the saxaphonist which is funny because the piano seems way more prominent here. Anyway this is also good.

Untitled Unmastered. by Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick, once more, fails to disappoint. The weakest of his stuff so far but really it's not meant to be anything huge, and I think it's a testament to him that even his off-casts make for a great work.

Unit Structures by Cecil Taylor

It's heartening to remember hat I won't just fall for any ol' fast-playing sax piano and drums. This has moments of greatness, but I think even free jazz should have some structure, just for the contrast, makes it all the better I feel. Whereas here there isn't really any, and while it's cool in short bursts it's rather tiring after a while. Also dissonant piano sounds so much more horrible than dissonant sax.

Also I was listening to this all last week because it's the sound of dreams.

Link
  • Visit poster's website