Aural Autism

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2015 22:09
  • Post subject: Aural Autism
Hey guys. I don't know if y'all love or hate my controversial music opinions, but I thought that they deserved a "Music Diary" as much as anyone else's taste. My headphones are about to fall apart, but I think I should be able to update with something "good" every day.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2015 14:50
  • Post subject:
Okay, my headphones are more or less broken, and I don't know if I'll be able to get a new pair until Black Friday, so I guess I'll mostly be listening to music at home for the next week or two. I'm hoping to have the AKG Quincy Jones Signature Headphones take their place. They seem as fancy as Beats in their own way, but have acoustics much more suited to the jazz and avant-garde music I so regularly listen to.

Anyway, last night I listened to....

Ezek A Fiatalok by Various Artists
On first listen I thought that this was a sixties Euro-pop Nuggets or something, but apparently it's the soundtrack to a little-known 1967 Hungarian film of the same name. As you may expect, the director Tamas Banovich did a lot of production design for Miklos Jancsco, including my favorite from him Red Psalm and an RYM-bolded one I haven't seen called The Round-Up. Any of you guys familiar with this work?

In any case, it's a really fun and beautiful pop comp, and may even eventually get a five-star rating from me.

Damning With Faint Praise by Yowie

This was pure mathy bliss, guys. I remember being obsessed with Cryptoology in early high school, but this short album released eight years later brings their craziness into something so much more cohesive.

Link

I also just discovered this amazing P Diddy single called "Get Off", which samples Bitches Brew. I only got to listen to it once before leaving for school, but it was so much fun for those five minutes.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 11/07/2015 12:11
  • Post subject: Re: Aural Autism
Applerill wrote:
Hey guys. I don't know if y'all love or hate my controversial music opinions.

I don't think that's what's controversial, N. George.

Anyways Im interested to hear your thoughts on Lil' Dickey.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2015 16:40
  • Post subject: Re: Aural Autism
Saoirse wrote:
I don't think that's what's controversial, N. George.

Anyways Im interested to hear your thoughts on Lil' Dickey.

I'm scared that I'm going to listen to that album and like it Pray Iconically it's the kind of thing I want to hate, but the music itself seems like something I'd totally love.

Anyway, I'm working on a piece about

Art Angels by Grimes

And I think the best way to describe its genius is to point out what makes our perspectives on poptimism so different. In short, I normally prefer the "uniquely bad" to the "generically good", but it seems like she is in love with the generically good. And like George Lucas did in Star Wars, Boucher puts all these "generic" genre points (for nu-metal and CCM and J-pop and the Spice Girls) and turns it into something that shows her love of it so honestly that it becomes wholly unique and revolutionary. To complain that the songs here are half-baked is like arguing that Trout Mask Replica was improvisational rambling; she spent over three years (and thousands upon thousands of studio hours) making sure that these songs sounded exactly like the pop stuff she loved as a kid, right down to the loud compression on most of the tracks. And just as Star Wars got people to care much more about space operas and Kurosawa, hopefully this will get us music nerds to get back into our nu-metal and CCM.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 11/07/2015 16:56
  • Post subject:
Your outrageous claim that Lucas "broke" Kurosawa to western audiences aside, I think your perspective on what Grimes has done, while maybe hyperbolic, is more or less what I've kind of sensed on later listens. It's weird; I literally was laughing out loud listening to the album because of how "confrontationally" pop it is the first time I heard it. There is a flavor to this that makes Britney especially into something of a reference but never a center. In other words, there's this unshakable feeling that mainstream, bombastic, over-produced pop music is sort of kind of maybe what you're being told to listen to, but it's just off of that. I don't know. I think your views are helping me to know a bit more, though.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2015 17:17
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
Your outrageous claim that Lucas "broke" Kurosawa to western audiences aside, I think your perspective on what Grimes has done, while maybe hyperbolic, is more or less what I've kind of sensed on later listens. It's weird; I literally was laughing out loud listening to the album because of how "confrontationally" pop it is the first time I heard it. There is a flavor to this that makes Britney especially into something of a reference but never a center. In other words, there's this unshakable feeling that mainstream, bombastic, over-produced pop music is sort of kind of maybe what you're being told to listen to, but it's just off of that. I don't know. I think your views are helping me to know a bit more, though.

I know my Star Wars analogy isn't very good out of context, but I keep being reminded of that "Love Letter" she wrote to it a few months ago. Despite what it may seem from the critical response, I don't think Boucher was trying to make something artistically "edgy" or "conceptual" like Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz. She just genuinely loves these aesthetics, and uses her recording wizardry to make all these styles completely hers. And I think that's beautiful and edgy in its own way.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 11/07/2015 18:02
  • Post subject:
Yeah, "confrontationally" was probably bad word choice. Maybe "iconoclastically."
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/07/2015 18:07
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Your outrageous claim that Lucas "broke" Kurosawa to western audiences aside,

Yeah, especially considering John Sturges did that a decade or so prior.

Quote:
Boucher puts all these "generic" genre points (for nu-metal and CCM and J-pop and the Spice Girls) and turns it into something that shows her love of it so honestly that it becomes wholly unique and revolutionary. To complain that the songs here are half-baked is like arguing that Trout Mask Replica was improvisational rambling; she spent over three years (and thousands upon thousands of studio hours) making sure that these songs sounded exactly like the pop stuff she loved as a kid, right down to the loud compression on most of the tracks.

I can agree and disagree with a bit of the thoughts presented here. Particularly with referencing nu-metal which I hate because it strikes me as a condensed form of the same tired ways certain music journalists hamfist references in their reviews from their own imagination rather the context of the work. With that aside, I do think it is utterly fascinating that everyone that has listened to it (out of our regulars, anyway) agrees completely that it is wholly unique and important.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2015 18:11
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
referencing nu-metal which I hate because it strikes me as a condensed form of the same tired ways certain music journalists hamfist references in their reviews from their own imagination rather the context of the work..

Well, she did describe one of her tracks as "nu-metal" in interviews, so it seems like that was her intention.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/07/2015 18:20
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Well, she did describe one of her tracks as "nu-metal" in interviews, so it seems like that was her intention.

Seemed like a throwaway reference to spur discussion/hype to me.
  • Visit poster's website