United States

• Posted: 01/03/2016 17:49
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Applerill wrote:
Gowi wrote:
Applerill wrote:
Razz Ruh-roh. I've been caught.

I really was unimpressed by the single, and I really thought it did leak.

You probably shouldn't claim to listen to something you haven't actually heard in full.

Wink I already deleted the rating, Gowi. I deleted it nearly a month ago.

Well...the fact that you deleted the rating doesn't seem to be the real issue. And the fact that others had rated it before you doesn't really make it less than what it is. The real issue, to me anyway, would be that you knowingly rated an album, thereby declaring that you had heard it, when in fact you knew that you had not heard it. Which makes it not a matter of a mistaken rating, but of integrity. So, how are we supposed to believe that you have actually at least listened to the albums you are rating and reviewing? Which ratings and reviews are real...and which ones are not?

Think

Look, I'm not practicing journalism (or even art criticism) when I rate something on RYM. I'm really just astrally projecting what I think of something at that state in time, and everything I rate is more than subject to change. I'll admit that I often jump on rating things too fast, but this has little to do with any need of mine to be "cool" setting a "canon" or whatever, and much more than I just feel like putting my rating down as I listen to it (even if I may have to switch to something else twenty minutes later). You can compare it to journalistic ethics (especially since I so easily giggle at the phrase "ethics in Charlie journalism"), but my ratings are really just for my own cultural bookkeeping. If I want something to be at least somewhat set in stone, then I'll actually write about it in words.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 01/03/2016 18:50
  • Post subject:
you're dodging the fact that you often are not rating "as you listen" though. in the case of Blackstar, albums Gowie never released, and a 51CD box set you obviously heard less than a full disc of given the timing from talking to me to rating to rating something else, you have heard a small minority of the music contained on a release or none at all. you can't have your cake and eat it too where you tout out 12,000 (largely singles) ratings as some e-peen in some forums and in others it's just a shoddy mess of half truths and poor conceptions. that's everyone's point - we can't get to what your taste is or even what you've heard or not based on flagrant and consistent clear dishonesty, ignoring cases where dishonesty isn't immediately objectively obvious.
undefined

• Posted: 01/03/2016 21:20
  • Post subject:
I definitely see where the Charlie criticisms are coming from but really does one's rating system really define their sense of ethics? It sounds like Applerill is just rating shit what he thinks will end up being his eventual rating. Or at worst he's just pulling a platus and using ratings as something of a pseudo-wishlist. Idk but in any case I don't think he's nearly as concerned with his self-made "outsider" image or w/e as we seem to think. I seriously doubt there's any deliberate or malicious intent to deceive when he rates stuff, maybe just a questionable rating system. He's got a disorganized rym and weird rating habits, not a total lack of personal integrity.

Satie wrote:
Gowie

Boy wouldn't I kill for this collab. David + The Chuck Norris Experience. Instant classic for sure Wink
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2016 21:36
  • Post subject:
I guess what I'm confused about is where this becomes a moral issue of dishonesty. For the most part, I like to use my RYM database as a sort of scratch-pad. When I was listening to that Hermann Nitsch comp, I believe I went one or two discs in before realizing "Oh my goodness this is really, really cool", and feeling like it had to be in my database (I listened to another three discs after that, BTW, and even repeated the first two several times over the past six months). That way, whenever I looked up its genre tags, it'd be there with a pretty good estimate of how it moved me. I know I could just use the wishlist function or something, and that you can easily call this "overly compulsive" or even "irresponsible", but I don't think any of it was based off malice or selfishness.

I wish it were easy for me to avoid pre-rating things (as I've been trying to restrain myself on and off since around 2012 when The Avengers came out), but so often I just can't help but press that button. When I listen to a preview single or read a review or find a title funny, I really want to express that, even if the release I'm rating doesn't "exist" yet. I can continue to try my best with it, but I'm afraid that that's all I can promise. I'm really sorry if this bothers you all.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 01/03/2016 22:01
  • Post subject:
I like Charlie's style actually. Since we can judge without listening to the music and Gabe and Squishy will defend us now, all I have to do is see the genre tag "indie rock" on RYM, and I can express how much I dislike the music. Saves me the time of having to form my own opinions on all the garbage I see posted here and everyone will just congratulate and defend me. What a wonderful new world to be in.
undefined

• Posted: 01/03/2016 22:04
  • Post subject:
All I'm saying is obsessive compulsive rating habits ≠ moral dishonesty
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2016 22:07
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
I like Charlie's style actually. Since we can judge without listening to the music and Gabe and Squishy will defend us now, all I have to do is see the genre tag "indie rock" on RYM, and I can express how much I dislike the music. Saves me the time of having to form my own opinions on all the garbage I see posted here and everyone will just congratulate and defend me. What a wonderful new world to be in.

Razz I'll admit: That made me giggle. I love you, Satie.

Anyway, this is why I now like rating singles so much: They give me my rating-methadone in minutes, and I rarely need to worry about making these sorts of mistakes. With the RYM Album chart, on the other hand, it's too easy for me to go on a rate-after-ten-minute frenzy ("GIMME ALL THE ALBUMS!!!"). This isn't because I want to look cool, but because I I can't wait to experience all of them (and maybe because I have ADD).

Last edited by Applerill on 01/03/2016 22:11; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 01/03/2016 22:09
  • Post subject:
who the fuck brought up morality lol I don't think Charlie's a bad person or going to Aytch Ee Double Hockey Sticks. I think he's someone who's unreliable for a fair music discussion, though, and someone whose opinions are, by his own admission here, based more on extramusical factors than I think is appropriate. yes someone with no aesthetic outlook on music as sound, as evidenced by his interest in art criticism as some sort of meta-textual exercise, and his political and philosophical positions and musings are too uninteresting and sophomoric for that kind of writing to be pulled off.

I'm sure he's not ethically condemnable though
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2016 22:12
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
who the fuck brought up morality lol I don't think Charlie's a bad person or going to Aytch Ee Double Hockey Sticks. I think he's someone who's unreliable for a fair music discussion, though, and someone whose opinions are, by his own admission here, based more on extramusical factors than I think is appropriate. yes someone with no aesthetic outlook on music as sound, as evidenced by his interest in art criticism as some sort of meta-textual exercise, and his political and philosophical positions and musings are too uninteresting and sophomoric for that kind of writing to be pulled off.

That's great Smile (and very fair otherwise).

I've recently wondered why I wake up thinking that "I know nothing about music and everything about movies", and I think that's why. (You definitely need to get on that later Godard, though.)

Last edited by Applerill on 01/03/2016 22:21; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 01/03/2016 22:18
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:

Ah alright I apologize I thought that was the implication for some reason. I disagree with a few of your points but this is definitely fair