Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2016 22:23
  • Post subject:
Here's where this hit me. And why.

If he wants to have a place to kind of store things for future refining, that's cool. And his intentions may be genuine. However. The problem as I see it is that people come to sites like this in part to see what others think about music that they might potentially want to invest in. And people who have been around take what others that they interract with think about music seriously. Maybe not you...maybe not me...but there are, I'm sure, a lot of people who do.

So, if Applerill rates an album a 5, but I'm also aware that he has rated an album that it is known that he has not yet heard a 5, how seriously can I take him? And say that rating is on BEA. I look at the users on this site and see that he is a long time member with a long history of rating and reviewing and comments. And yet, he is rating music that he could not have possibly listened to yet. It's not just him...it's BEA. Because he's a long standing member, is this how the entire site is?

Integrity IS the issue here, for me. Whether it's intended or not, this is about how it looks to other users. Can I trust what I see this user says he has listened to? If I can't, then I've developed a mistrust of not only him, but of the site as a whole. And, you may think I'm being over dramatic, but I believe that we have a responsibility as the most active and most visible users of this site to show others that there IS integrity here, and that we DO take our listening, rating and reviewing seriously. Just my opinion, but it is what it is.

Maybe the answer would be having a more private way of cataloguing premature feelings about an album. Because, as shown here, the way that it is currently being done by this user apparently does cause issues.

This ties into my dislike of albums being added to the database that have not yet been leaked, therefore not yet heard. What this says to me is that a person is making an album eligible to be the best album ever that there is no possible way they have listened to. That may seem like a small thing, but it does strike a chord with me.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/04/2016 00:20
  • Post subject:
“Ethics” and “Morality” are thrown around a lot here, but for me this is more of a trust issue. This has been pretty much my only critical issue that has bothered me because it feels like blatant manipulation and deception. Honest is a paramount virtue that is important to me and I feel like this habit of yours is problematic on many levels including how I view your criticisms, opinions, and values. I’ve grown up around compulsive liars, con artists, and grifters (my uncle, Waclaw, for example) so this is a personal issue for me. If you cannot be honest about your opinions then I don’t know how I can treat you favorably or open a dialogue intellectually. I can deal with your other traits but this one is something that you need to look long and hard at if you value the dialogues we’ve had in the past before this accumulated as a big issue; and believe me, it is.
  • Visit poster's website
Umbrella

• Posted: 01/04/2016 13:29
  • Post subject:
charlie dont be like grifter uncle waclaw
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/04/2016 13:33
  • Post subject:
Umbrella wrote:
charlie dont be like grifter uncle waclaw