View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 11/06/2015 02:38
  • Post subject: Confessions of a wannabe hipster
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 11/06/2015 14:29
  • Post subject:

Stratosphere by Duster

My days of deep depression and self-pity are past, but I still feel a sad man's groove. It's not as deliciously bipolar as a Bedhead release -- I'd write up a script of Prozac for the whole band and see if they start making J-pop. Nah, that would be a shame. I want more of this.

WhatFunLifeWas by Bedhead

I put this on at night and the sudden changes in intensity wake up my bedmate. She's not awake long enough to remember it in the morning, so I get off okay. It's probably bad for her health, he said, but I disobeyed his orders and made sure to keep that shit on my head. I fucking glued it on.

Victory.Intolerance.Mastery by Revenge (CA)

I told the aging neckbeard with Lord of the Rings style armor and a plastic chicken head between his teeth to get out. Motherfucker was doused in ketchup.

Last Year's Savage by Shilpa Ray

When I saw this was garage/punk rock, I wasn't expecting Patti Smith with a fucking accordion (probly a harmonium but whatever). Actually no that's awesome. This is totally my jam.
Satie

• Posted: 11/06/2015 15:25
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I told the aging neckbeard with Lord of the Rings style armor and a plastic chicken head between his teeth to get out. Motherfucker was doused in ketchup.

Rolling Eyes

Funny enough, I wouldn't let myself go to bed last night without listening to this again in preparation for listening to the new album today. I was thinking of today being my Revenge write-up day where I give my thoughts about the band's discography as a whole with provisional thoughts on Behold.Total.Rejection. Maybe I can get you to reconsider, especially since Lord of the Rings doesn't really come into it (that's more Gowi's preferred metal genres Razz) and corpsepaint is too hard to apply over a neckbeard. Laughing
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 11/06/2015 17:06
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Funny enough, I wouldn't let myself go to bed last night without listening to this again in preparation for listening to the new album today. I was thinking of today being my Revenge write-up day where I give my thoughts about the band's discography as a whole with provisional thoughts on Behold.Total.Rejection. Maybe I can get you to reconsider, especially since Lord of the Rings doesn't really come into it (that's more Gowi's preferred metal genres Razz) and corpsepaint is too hard to apply over a neckbeard. Laughing

Looking forward to the write-up. I gotta know what you see when you close your eyes while listening to this.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2015 22:27
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:

Last Year's Savage by Shilpa Ray

When I saw this was garage/punk rock, I wasn't expecting Patti Smith with a fucking accordion (probly a harmonium but whatever). Actually no that's awesome. This is totally my jam.

Shilpa is an old friend and one of the most incredible performers I've had the pleasure of seeing. I booked her several times, including a birthday show or two. She definitely has the spirit of 1970s NYC. And that is indeed a harmonium.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 11/07/2015 19:40
  • Post subject:

Filosofem by Burzum

Metal classics tend to give me more of a timeless vibe than other genres cause they're so disconnected from anything real. Maybe this sound was somehow timely and relevant in its special corner of genre space at the time it was made, but as someone who doesn't wear corpsepaint, I hear it more like a fairy tale. Maybe a creation myth. Anyway, it's this kind of thing that keeps bringing me back to black metal, especially the ambient variety. No ketchup here.
undefined

• Posted: 11/07/2015 19:43
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Shilpa is an old friend and one of the most incredible performers I've had the pleasure of seeing. I booked her several times, including a birthday show or two.

I'm not even surprised at this point
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 11/08/2015 03:35
  • Post subject:
Two widely beloved artists took a big step forward in my estimation this month (lucky them!!!). First,

EVOL by Sonic Youth

My previously lukewarm response to Sonic Youth is kind of ridiculous if you consider my background as an angsty 90s teen, but I'm now solidly in this album's corner. I've been having an obsession lately with sounds that I can only describe as "dirty grooves" (other examples include the Fall and Mission of Burma) and this album might as well be the poster child for that sound. It's just a bunch of petulant kids making dissonant and pretentious fuck you rock music. What's not to love?

Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Van...Panda Bear

Initially I was put off of Animal Collective and their derivatives by the pseudo-maximalist pop grooves that have dominated their sound since MPP. However, this album and Feels have been getting a lot of play lately -- both create a sort of raw wispy vibe that really pulls at my subconscious. These spirits are far from the pristine angels of scripture... they murmur and seethe with a voice that is utterly amoral and many times more beautiful than any picture of heaven I've ever seen.

That's not say you can expect the latest Panda Bear album to rise on my 2015 chart. Just count me among the number of annoying snobs who only like their early stuff.
Satie

• Posted: 11/08/2015 05:32
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Anyway, it's this kind of thing that keeps bringing me back to black metal, especially the ambient variety.

you don't seem to come back very often
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 11/08/2015 07:34
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
you don't seem to come back very often

Yeah, I'm full of shit. It's my thing.