From the Black Mountain Hills of Dakota: Rocky's Log

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2015 20:38
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Very nice. I've seen a lot of fans dismiss Aurora Liminalis as one of Basinksi's more unremarkable albums, but I think it's excellent. Interested to see if anything changes when you revisit them loops

Yea man, it's interesting. As someone who found the loops to be kind of lacking, I wasn't expecting to like Aurora, but I really did. Hopefully that means I'm finally going to enjoy the loops, I'd love to see in them what everyone else sees.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2015 21:50
  • Post subject:

Power Of The Dragonflame by Rhapsody

I don't know if you could create a bigger guilty pleasure than this kind of stuff. It's gigantic, over-the-top, melodramatic symphonic power metal. You'll either absolutely love it, or completely hate it, and honestly, you're justified in either.

Pros - Rhapsody is loaded with undeniably talented musicians. Luco shreds your ever-loving face off, Alex Staropoli's keyboards are ridiculous, and Fabio Lione's vocals feel so natural and are so powerful they could bring down a mountain. The orchestration is huge, just from a composition standpoint, I'm amazed at all of this. The way the strings can gently come in, or the way the brass can create drama, it's all fantastic.

Cons - as I read from one reviewer, this stuff is cornier than Fat Bastard's shit, and you know what? I can't argue with that. This stuff is unbelievably over the top, it's bombastic and monstrous and so overdramatic that it's impossible to ignore. The lyrics can be a little cringey too (dragons of course).

All in all, I love this stuff, I always have. I know it's corny and insanely overdramatic, and I understand not liking it because of that, but I love it. It's just so much fun and so crazy to listen to, it's a blast if you're into this kind of stuff.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2015 15:50
  • Post subject:
November 10th, 2015

Caliente! by Gato Barbieri

Awwwwww yeeeeaaaaaa man. THE CAT with some sexy sax. It's pop-jazz but man is it good pop-jazz. Barbieri can play man, he can really play, and he pours his heart and soul into this whole album, it's beautiful. His cover of Santana's "Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile)" is the definite highlight, he also tosses in a cover of Marvin Gaye's "I Want You" that's pretty sweet too. It's great, beautiful music, some hip-swiveling Latin rhythms, pretty sweet stuff.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2015 17:09
  • Post subject:

Evolution by Journey

I've always liked Journey, but they're a singles band and little else. I've never heard an album by them that impressed me. They've made some great songs, Steve Perry has a hell of a voice and Neil Schon is quite the guitar player, but they're not an album band, and this album is a prime example of that. "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin" is great, obviously, a couple of the other songs are fine, but generally, this is just one big blah of an album. Fairly forgettable.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/11/2015 18:46
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

Evolution by Journey

I've always liked Journey, but they're a singles band and little else. I've never heard an album by them that impressed me. They've made some great songs, Steve Perry has a hell of a voice and Neil Schon is quite the guitar player, but they're not an album band, and this album is a prime example of that. "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin" is great, obviously, a couple of the other songs are fine, but generally, this is just one big blah of an album. Fairly forgettable.

Figured you'd be all about their self-titled.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2015 19:52
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

Evolution by Journey

Figured you'd be all about their self-titled.

You know what? I haven't heard it actually, I'm more referring to the Steve Perry-era Journey. But I'll check it out now!

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/11/2015 19:53
  • Post subject:
It really is amazing how alot of those AOR bands started out as quasi-prog bands or jazz fusion acts.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2015 20:09
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
It really is amazing how alot of those AOR bands started out as quasi-prog bands or jazz fusion acts.

Yea, I knew they had evolved out of Santana, I just had never gotten around to listening to their early stuff. I'm listening to the debut now, it's actually really good, I've always known that Journey had some exceptional musicians.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2015 20:44
  • Post subject:

Journey by Journey

Gowi you know me too well.

Pre-Steve Perry we have the prog rock/jazz fusion version of Journey. So who's the lead singer? It's Neil Schon's guitar. Gregg Rolie sings on occasion but this is a mostly instrumental album and damn are they good. Some of the instrumentals kind of seems to sputter out and not really catch fire, but for the most part, this is a pretty solid, enjoyable album, especially if you like a bunch of incredible instrumentalists dicking around for 40 minutes.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2015 21:57
  • Post subject:

Odin by Wizard

Basically another version of Manowar (which is not a bad thing). A fun, albeit slightly predictable, power metal album. It's nothing groundbreaking, it's speedy riffs, break-neck solos, booming drums and powerful vocals with fist-pumping choruses, but it's executed really well. The production is excellent, the musicianship is top-notch, it's just a fun power metal album, simple as that.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website