Sounds and Nonsense

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2015 19:16
  • Post subject: Sounds and Nonsense
This is actually pretty perfect for me. I really wanna stay in tune with you all, see what you've been listening to, steal recs, make sure life's been OK, but I've been having these weird sort of crises because I feel like I'm really just not doing anything of any importance with my life, so I've been trying to pull back on the time I spend on a lot of things. BEA happened to be one of these. I'll come back to the diaries once a week, check other people's and update my own. I'll just sort of do a "here's what good albums I've found in the past week", "here's any shows I went to in the past week", "here's any reviews I got published in the past week" (I'm sort of ish writing with the school music magazine, not actually on the writing staff but am doing some occasional things), etc.

I'll keep a show log here inspired by Frogger and Keith cuz I like keeping track of who all I've seen/will be going to, though I don't have near as many shows as either of them.

2015:

2/6 or /7 - Dr Dog with PHOX
3/11 - The Twilight Sad with Slowness and Port St Willow
5/3 - Pianos Become the Teeth with The American Scene, Gates, and Loma Prieta
6/6 - BFD Festival: WATERS, Meg Myers, Cathedrals, The Orwells, Sheppard, Misterwives, Panic is Perfect, Death From Above 1979, Twenty One Pilots, Atlas Genius, Cold War Kids, Panic! At the Disco, Of Monsters and Men, Modest Mouse
8/1 Basement with Better Off, LVL UP, and Creative Adult
9/5 Air Traffic Controller
9/11 Death Cab For Cutie with Explosions in the Sky
9/12 Hop Along with LVL UP and Antarctigo Vespucci
9/17 Panic! At the Disco
9/24 The Menzingers with Spectre Shores and Black Beaches
10/20 Streetlight Manifesto with Sycamore Smith and Dan Potthast of MU330
10/22 mewithoutYou and The Menzingers with Restorations and Pianos Become the Teeth
11/8 The Hotelier with Oso Oso and Runaway Brother
11/18 Knuckle Puck with Seaway and Sorority Noise
12/6 Foxing and The World Is A Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid To Die with Brightside and People Like You

2016 (italics means hopefully but depends on money and etc):

1/26 CRUISR, Soft Pyramids
1/28 Vundabar and Animal Flag
2/11 Brittle Brian, Eskimeaux, and Porches
3/12 Foxing with Lymbyc System, Tancred, and Adjy
3/29 People Like You with Horse Jumper of Love and Lady Pills
4/4 Kevin Devine with The Hotelier and Petal
4/17 Citizen and Turnover with Sorority Noise and Milk Teeth
4/21 Elvis Depressedly with Florist and Horse Jumper of Love
5/22 Drop In and Rene Descartes (final show)
5/26 The Cure with The Twilight Sad
5/27-29 Bottlerock Festival: Stevie Wonder, Florence + The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Lumineers, Death Cab For Cutie, Lenny Kravitz, Grouplove, X Ambassadors, Cold War Kids, Misterwives, Atlas Genius, Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness, Buddy Guy, The Joy Formidable, Coleman Hell, San Fermin, Mike Stud, Waters, Panic is Perfect, The Helmets with Robert Trujillo, Masaharu Morimoto with Tre Cool and Mike Dirnt
6/20 Tiny Moving Parts with Prawn and Free Throw
7/28 Brand New and Modest Mouse
9/7 Shura with Camino 84
10/15 Brand New with The Front Bottoms and Modern Baseball
11/29 Pinegrove with Mothers
12/10 Kevin Devine and the Goddamn Band with Pinegrove and Petal

2017:
1/27 PHOX (hiatus tour)
2/29 STRFKR
3/12 Moose Blood with Boston Manor and Trophy Eyes

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make

Last edited by benpaco on 02/28/2017 03:26; edited 17 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2015 19:20
  • Post subject:
The past week has been pretty boring for me musically. That being said, Foxing finally put their new album on Spotify, so that's been getting a ton of listens from me.

Dealer by Foxing

It's a lot less personal than The Albatross, which has recently really connected with me. This feels a lot like Bon Iver's evolution to me, less intimate but more musically complex and wonderful as it goes on. We'll see if this really connects to me at any point the way The Albatross did, but I'm not sure it will.

Any recommendations on 2015 stuff are more than appreciated for right now, I actually have some time to catch up on stuff. Looking specifically for hip-hop, math-rock, emo, or if there's been any good just straight punk or post-hardcore sorts of stuff.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 11/07/2015 19:22
  • Post subject:
good to see you Ben! Gonna keep an eye on this one (and will check out Foxing soon enough)
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/07/2015 19:27
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
The past week has been pretty boring for me musically. That being said, Foxing finally put their new album on Spotify, so that's been getting a ton of listens from me.

Dealer by Foxing

It's a lot less personal than The Albatross, which has recently really connected with me. This feels a lot like Bon Iver's evolution to me, less intimate but more musically complex and wonderful as it goes on. We'll see if this really connects to me at any point the way The Albatross did, but I'm not sure it will.

Any recommendations on 2015 stuff are more than appreciated for right now, I actually have some time to catch up on stuff. Looking specifically for hip-hop, math-rock, emo, or if there's been any good just straight punk or post-hardcore sorts of stuff.

Some releases of note for you:

Adventures - Supersonic Home
Carb on Carb - Carb on Carb
Chon - Grow
Death Engine - Mud
Envy - Atheist’s Cornea
Malegoat - Here and There
Marietta - As It Were
Moonraker - Discography
Pile - You’re Better Than This
Tricot - A N D
Shellac - Dude Incredible
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2015 17:47
  • Post subject:
Decided to come and update this now, my thought was to do it on the weekends only but since it's a day off school, why not.

Recs:

Gowi wrote:

Some releases of note for you:

Adventures - Supersonic Home
Carb on Carb - Carb on Carb
Death Engine - Mud
Malegoat - Here and There
Marietta - As It Were
Tricot - A N D
Shellac - Dude Incredible

I'd heard at least parts of all the other recs I got, and all of these were varying degrees of alright but for Adventures, that's a really good one. I think it was the only Will Yip production I'd not heard that came out this year, frankly, only knew them from the Pity Sex split and prefered Pity Sex on there.

Shows:

This Sunday I saw The Hotelier with Runaway Brother, Oso Oso, and Spirit of the Beehive. Spirit of the Beehive were pretty average shoegaze with a really good backing female vocalist I wish I'd heard more of, but it was fun to hear a crowd of post-hardcore fans trying to remember the word "shoegaze" after the set. Oso Oso often get compared to early Brand New, and I gotta say that several of their songs would have fit on Your Favorite Weapon easily but that there's a certain maturity they have that Brand New just didn't at the time. Runaway Brother was good, I think, maybe. I honestly cannot remember their set at all, nor a single song they played. The Hotelier themselves were great, though as I'd been warned, the band kind of are assholes to the crowd, and it was a weird crowd to begin with.

We proceeded to get lost trying to find a car for a solid hour and had a really "teenage movie" night sort of night, so overall it was worth the super cheap ticket for sure.

Albums:

Really been a lot of my more usual stuff this week, so if you want Benpaco canon, here's what's been happening:

The Albatross by Foxing

You Blew It! started listening to Bon Iver and Hospice.

Keep You by Pianos Become The Teeth

Arguably one of the first albums in this recent movement of Will Yipping post-hardcore bands and making them much, much better.

I Wish I Could Stay Here by Basement

One of my first realizations that semi-screamo post-hardcore can be anything other than loud. The lyrics here are superb, and a lot of the guitar parts are actually pretty interesting.

Wildlife by La Dispute

One part spoken word, one part screamo, and magic is made.

Songs:

Again, not a week of finding a whole lot, though the final track here is actually brand new to me and I adore it.

Link

Link

Link

Link

What I'm Looking For

This is not looking to be a good or easy week for me. School is going to be brutal and it's going to be hard to do anything really social as a result. I want wallowing music. Something that's going to fit my mood, not try to change it. Still looking for emo, but expanding into anything nostalgic or sad - something like Hospice or Closer will be good for me too.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2015 19:03
  • Post subject:
Published Reviews:

THE MENZINGERS AND MEWITHOUTYOU @ ROYALE 10.22.15

My first show review, I think, went OK. McKenna Shuster took some incredible photographs that really helped the writing. The unfortunate bit of the review is that it's hard to accurately review that show in particular, as, in a lot of ways, the best part was the crowd, and that's hard to really show. Everyone was just so passionate and kind. Lucky to have stayed in touch with several of them, even going to a show later with some of them, just some really great people.

Albums:

This week has primarily been revisiting the discography of Brand New. Everything but Deja, which I just know by heart at this point. Additionally, there were these:

Old Pride by Pianos Become The Teeth

Pre-Yip, intense screamo days.

Parting The Sea Between Brightness And ...hé Amoré

The Ramones of modern screamo. <2 minute rushing songs.

Tigers Jaw by Tigers Jaw

It's whiny, it's a little pizza-core, but it's a great album. Was surprised, didn't know this one well.

Songs:

A weird week for individual songs, but here's what I've liked:

Link

Link

Link

Link

What I'm Looking For

This is a week I'm going to need some optimism in my life. Something to cheer me up musically rather than validate any negative feelings I might have. Looking specifically for happy math rock (see: Maps and Atlasses, Tiny Moving Parts), complex pop rock (see: TDCC, Vampire Weekend), and uplifting (see: "i", Black Star) or silly (see: MC Paul Barman, idk other stuff probably) hip-hop.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 11/22/2015 20:50
  • Post subject:
Shows:

On Wednesday, I went to Knuckle Puck's show. Now, I should say I mostly went to this to see my friends who live a bit out and were in Boston that night going to the show. They're cool people. Missed Sorority Noise. That was a massive bummer, they were opening and the only band I knew. Seaway are some of the most mediocre songwriters I've ever seen, but they're lively. Knuckle Puck was actually far better than I expected.

Albums:

Big week for me in albums. Started writing music again thanks to the following, incredible albums:

Never Mind the Great Snowdogs Caught Out In the Storm by Salvage My Dream

Lo-fi "space rock" according to the creator.

It's All In Your Head by dandelion hands

Really lo-fi, dances between the incredibly happy "I Like You" and the dirge that is "Wishful Thinking".

S/T by Flowers Taped To Pens

Screamo with a lot of influence taken from post-rock. Oh also it's pretty lo-fi.

An Autobiography by Old Gray

The only of these I already knew, and the only one that actually was already in the site. Great screamo record, incredibly heartfelt.

Songs:

Would you be surprised to know that most of these songs are lo-fi emo or screamo?

Link

Link

Link

Link

The exception to that earlier caviot, this guy makes some of the most grossly cute ukulele songs I've ever heard:

Link

Link

What I'm Looking For

Show me good screamo. Not just angsty stuff, like good emotional stuff, early Pianos, Touche, the stuff above, etc.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2015 15:35
  • Post subject:
Music:

Terribly little getting listened to this past week between running out of data, travelling, and deciding to catch up on some stuff I've fallen behind on. A lot of these:

The Albatross by Foxing

Hospice by The Antlers

Carrie & Lowell by Sufjan Stevens

Other:

Remember dandelion hands from my last entry?

Link

I didn't realize RIP really was their last release, thought it was like just a title. Which is a big time bummer as someone that just found them and fell in love. Well, this story has a happy ending. For Cyber Monday, they're doing a special sale, one offer of which was a "WRITE A SONG" edition of their final album. So I'm awaiting an email from the singer and they want input on what to write the song about and then they're writing a song cuz that's awesome.

What I'm Looking For

Looking for nice calming post-rock. EITS, Antlers, This Will Destroy You, whatever, it can be sad, just not too weird/loud/etc.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2015 17:46
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:

What I'm Looking For

Looking for nice calming post-rock. EITS, Antlers, This Will Destroy You, whatever, it can be sad, just not too weird/loud/etc.

You should check out Port St Willow. He's a close mate of The Antlers, and kind of takes their indie sound and stretches it out into a more atmospheric post-rock. Plus his voice is pretty remarkable.

Syncope by Port St. Willow

I could also see you really loving my local pals Storming The Beaches With Logos in Hand. Doesn't totally fit your desire for calming post rock, but I think they're exactly the type of band you love.

Southwick Howls by Storming The Beaches...os In Hand

Back to more calming post-rock type stuff. Definitely check out Stara Reka's new one. One of my favorite albums of the year.

Zamknęły Się Oczy Ziemi by Stara Rzeka
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2015 22:41
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

You should check out Port St Willow. He's a close mate of The Antlers, and kind of takes their indie sound and stretches it out into a more atmospheric post-rock. Plus his voice is pretty remarkable.

Syncope by Port St. Willow

Really excited to check out the rest, liked this one but didn't love it as much as his older releases. It just feels ... colder, I guess, than Holiday. I think it's a mood thing, will have to revisit. I really like Holiday, saw them open for Twilight Sad last year actually, thought of them as an Antlers rip off with trombone and then was surprised to learn they're friends.

Currently distracted by:

A Special Episode Of by Open Mike Eagle

Which I just found shortly after posting the diary and have been listening to almost nonstop since, it's great. Nice to see Paul Barman doing more stuff now, and the lyrics here are actually pretty brutal. Production is very much up my alley, very atmospheric. Just found out he had a separate release this year, will listen to that after this, then mecca's other recs.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website