Kissing The Plinth: A Cosmic Pilgrimage

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/09/2015 09:08
  • Post subject: Kissing The Plinth: A Cosmic Pilgrimage

Since I've been getting heaps of recs from this subforum, a lot of this will probably just be me reposting what other people are listening to but with a less sophisticated musical vocabulary. I will start with:

No One Said You Didn't by Phthalocyanine

Absolutely gorgeous IDM album. The pummeling beats plus those grainy majestic synths in the background remind me of black metal at times. Sounds like a convent of monks hosting a liturgical rave in a floating crystal cathedral that's only visible during twilight. It's as ghostly and evocative as any straight-up ambient album I've heard.

Give me recs and I'll write flowery but essentially meaningless reviews for them.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 11/09/2015 09:11
  • Post subject:
Woo! Been hoping you'd start a log. Expecting much witty commentary.

For some reason I'm really curious what you'd think of this

Hans Werner Henze: Tristan - Prelude Fo... Francesch
I dunno, kinda feel like it mixes some of what I imagine you like from Arvo Pärt with a lot of what I've seen you dig in various forms of electronic and/or experimental music

also I still owe you a mixtape don't I. Will get on that
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/09/2015 10:24
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:

Hans Werner Henze: Tristan - Prelude Fo... Francesch

Oh man. Firstly I love the way this has been recorded, with instruments at different distances from the mic, and the way everything is placed in the stereo mix. Not sure how much of the stereo placement is post-production or straight from the room, but it all sounds really natural together.

I'm really trying to effectively describe why I like the composition. It's a great balance of order/disorder and harmony/disharmony without feeling like some kind of cerebral experiment. It digs straight into my nervous system. All the dissonant bits retain a kind of prettiness, like all those piano flourishes find nice little harmonic moments when they're moving the piece from one section to the next. The abundance of surprising instruments and timbral noises is also very very welcome.

OH SHIT that little kid just started reciting prose and I'm creeped out! This is like Scott Walker but better!

Will definitely be revisiting this in the future. I love it.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/11/2015 00:40
  • Post subject:

Zamknęły Się Oczy Ziemi by Stara Rzeka

This is outrageously good. I spent half a day listening on repeat and that never happens. I guess I should be describing it? It keeps hovering near all these different genres but refusing to be sucked into them, instead drawing everything into its folky/droney/raga/psychedelic belly. The sound palette is gorgeous. It just goes all over the place. I linked this to a friend who described the opening track as "black metal meets The Bends", so make of that what you will.

Okay I'm not very good at describing the mechanics of music so I'll give you this: it's the soundtrack to a De Goya painting of an ancient river serpent devouring a stray villager and the villager's blood is all black and everything is really hazy and there's something weirdly human about the way the serpent's face is painted which makes you wonder if the serpent is supposed to represent the brutality of the human condition or maybe you're just overthinking things but there's something about the style and beauty of the piece that makes you feel like it probably means something really profound, then your cynical overly-ironic self-effacing superego kicks in and says that anything this transcendent must be made fun of mercilessly so you're like "lol, looks like De Goya was a fan of vore, amirite fellas?" and then you high-five the guy next to you and walk over to the next exhibit, a single tear running down your face.

No One Said You Didn't by Phthalocyanine

Relistening. It's funny, last time felt like much more of a relaxed listen with all the beats swirling around a calm centre (similar to how I feel about Aphex Twin's Drukqs), whereas this time it felt a lot more harsh and chaotic. Interesting how mood and setting changes stuff like that. Still great. The ending of Rosemary just makes me grin like an idiot.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 11/11/2015 03:28
  • Post subject:
I'm glad to see you liked Tristan. One of my favorites. I was wondering what the title of your thread means, as Google isn't letting me do my usual pretend reference catching. Razz
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/11/2015 04:03
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
I was wondering what the title of your thread means, as Google isn't letting me do my usual pretend reference catching. Razz

Pretty sure it's from an offhand remark in an interview with The Pod. I don't remember which clip it was though.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 11/11/2015 04:24
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
Pretty sure it's from an offhand remark in an interview with The Pod.

and on top of that it just has a very SquishypuffDave ring to it

Also really glad you dug Tristan so much. One of my all time faves as well. If you're interested in checking out any more Henze stuff (and also @Satie if you haven't already heard it), this

Henze: Symphonies Nos. 1-6 by Hans Wern... Orchestra
is very excellent
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/11/2015 04:26
  • Post subject:

Dark Energy by Jlin

This isn't really my kind of thing. But I also quite liked it. The part of me that liked it has been arguing with the part of me that's "not so much a fan of this sort of thing now off with you sonny before I get out my cane".

American Drift by Elysia Crampton

This is a wonderful neon swamp of an album. A cyberpunk nightclub full of eels. It's that mix of cheesiness and melancholy where I don't know whether to chuckle or dive into its swirling vortex of emotion. I can see this going on regular rotation.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 11/11/2015 04:45
  • Post subject:
Glad to see you're enjoying two of my favorite releases of 2015. That Crampton is really something special. I haven't stopped spinning it since it leaked a bit early there in late July. Also, if the side of you that likes Jlin and the side of you that doesn't are still arguing in two weeks and you need a tiebreaker or the correct side of you wins and you become a stan like me, be sure to check out her Free Fall EP that drops Nov. 27.
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/11/2015 12:18
  • Post subject:

In Colour by Jamie xx

Decided I should actually get around to listening to this since I see it on heaps of charts but never really worked up the interest.

It's pleasant I guess? Not really stirring any strong feelings but I can imagine it being nice in a social setting. There are a few moments that seem like they're supposed to be dramatic but the whole aesthetic is so subdued that it's like watching a movie through your neighbour's window, which I can attest from personal experience is not as fun as it sounds.

Going to give this a relisten before bed:

Apocalypse, Girl by Jenny Hval
  • Visit poster's website