View previous topic :: View next topic
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2020 19:42
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Yes please.

thank you for commenting. i really do hope to finish this project in some form one day and be able to share it with you.

on paper, it's golden. i've talked with a handful of galleries, and a few of them are on board with it assuming i ever get that far. i've got 50ish pieces of physical artwork along with 50ish songs. i've been working around with this concept piece on-and-off for a few years now, and it feels like i'm chasing a dangling carrot. every time i make progress on it, i raise the bar higher for myself, and it's the musical equivalent of feature crawl. i'm on a downswing at the moment, so that doesn't help. working full-time and raising a family take priority over it too. but i'll go manic and make tons of progress on it over a couple weeks, then i'll lose that edge and go months without hardly being able to think about the project let alone work on it. not to make excuses. i mean, clearly, i am making excuses. but this project has benefited from the delays. and if i ever finish it, it's going to be pretty sick.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2020 03:59
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
thank you for commenting. i really do hope to finish this project in some form one day and be able to share it with you.

on paper, it's golden. i've talked with a handful of galleries, and a few of them are on board with it assuming i ever get that far. i've got 50ish pieces of physical artwork along with 50ish songs. i've been working around with this concept piece on-and-off for a few years now, and it feels like i'm chasing a dangling carrot. every time i make progress on it, i raise the bar higher for myself, and it's the musical equivalent of feature crawl. i'm on a downswing at the moment, so that doesn't help. working full-time and raising a family take priority over it too. but i'll go manic and make tons of progress on it over a couple weeks, then i'll lose that edge and go months without hardly being able to think about the project let alone work on it. not to make excuses. i mean, clearly, i am making excuses. but this project has benefited from the delays. and if i ever finish it, it's going to be pretty sick.

Yeah seriously awesome idea.

Is this why you were really into water for a bit?

Anyway a word of advice (I'm not using it) - and maybe just ignore this but it sounds cool in theory and it's all theory until it works.

1) Have you heard of the 1% methodology? It's this theory on the British Cycling team... they sucked and then they didn't and supposedly they equate it to make small incremental improvements instead of winning the tour de france in the first go. In otherwords they focused on just something simple and stupid like what pillow to sleep on or what socks to wear. And after making incremental gains, they attribute those small incremental gains as how they turned a shit team into a great one... or something anecdotal like that.

2) Sometimes you have to start sucking at something to succeed. Sometimes you have to go from not doing it at all, to sucking at it, to sucking less, to not sucking at it to rocking it. It usually doesn't go from not doing it all to rocking at it.

Also I love the manic thoughts cuz my mind goes there way too often too. I think really it's just a sign that we are excited to be alive even if we don't always admit it. It's really a sign of higher level of living. Maslow and stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2020 06:44
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Is this why you were really into water for a bit?

yeah. i was pretty obsessed with water during the writing phase, particularly interested in how something as abstract as music can scream water. some people cheat and dub foley into their mix (e.g. balam acab), which can get a bit tacky when not executed well (learned that by trial and error and error and error). others manage to evoke aquatica more subtly (e.g. panabrite's use of arpeggiators, radiohead's dueling guitar, bossa nova swing on weird fishes). ultimately, i think i found some tricks that work from a glut of artists doing what i wanted to do.

RoundTheBend wrote:
1) Have you heard of the 1% methodology? It's this theory on the British Cycling team... they sucked and then they didn't and supposedly they equate it to make small incremental improvements instead of winning the tour de france in the first go. In otherwords they focused on just something simple and stupid like what pillow to sleep on or what socks to wear. And after making incremental gains, they attribute those small incremental gains as how they turned a shit team into a great one... or something anecdotal like that.

i've never heard of this, but i feel motivated to learn more. that sounds like a satisfying training method. like, "i met all my goals today: i tied my shoes by myself - as in, i didn't just slide my feet in - and even made breakfast before leaving for work."

RoundTheBend wrote:
2) Sometimes you have to start sucking at something to succeed. Sometimes you have to go from not doing it at all, to sucking at it, to sucking less, to not sucking at it to rocking it. It usually doesn't go from not doing it all to rocking at it.

absolutely. i approach things with the mindset that i can accomplish anything with patience, perseverance and perspiration. granted, we all have our limits, but i suspect, for instance, that michelangelo scribbled and drew stick figures as a child. or whatever the equivalent was in his time. everyone starts at zero.

RoundTheBend wrote:
Also I love the manic thoughts cuz my mind goes there way too often too. I think really it's just a sign that we are excited to be alive even if we don't always admit it. It's really a sign of higher level of living. Maslow and stuff.

that's an interesting way of looking at it. i've always felt like it made me kind of broken. i'm either obnoxiously overjoyed with life or obnoxiously obsessed with death, and i've burnt through friends on both ends of that spectrum. i've gotten a lot better at suppressing or hiding my pendulum swing, but it's a struggle.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/05/2020 02:19
  • Post subject:
There's some Rilke thing I'm forgetting now that says life is death - it's our death drive that makes us live or something like this. I have no clue what I'm talking about... it's frustrating for sure (I know what you mean) - for all involved. Stupid life.

But anyway if you are interested in the 1% shiz, here's a bit about it: but yeah, there's something about a performance mindset that overcomes the world with simple gains. There's that concept the military (?) talks about where making your bed is first step to winning or something... again what the actual F am I talking about. I think I'm tired... haha.
https://hbr.org/2015/10/how-1-performan...ympic-gold

Also I figured you already knew about the stages and stuff being the accomplished musician you are (meaning you write really cool stuff). What I like about it, is sometimes we have "performance anxiety" and think in order for us to start something we already have to be a master at it. I like thinking about - let's start sucking at this... hehe. So that's the only reason why I passed that on.

I'm excited to hear some water.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/26/2020 16:27
  • Post subject:
/diced
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2020 16:54
  • Post subject:
he's at it again.

https://www.channelsmaychange.com/pick_...l-version/

still waiting on an official "birdwatchers" album. not convinced it's ever coming, despite fyfe's insistence that it will. in any event, this ludlow album is quite good. no idea it had dropped because as far as i can tell, he didn't tell anyone, but it's been up since late may. y'know, as a fan, i kind of love the secret song and album drops that appear and disappear. it was one of those things that made the guillemots special, so i'm glad to see fyfe's back in that space.
  • Visit poster's website
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 09/14/2020 16:23
  • Post subject:
This has always been my favorite diary on the site. Shame so many posts have been erased but I respect it. You still post your animations Craola?
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2020 18:06
  • Post subject:
NewsFromHome wrote:
This has always been my favorite diary on the site. Shame so many posts have been erased but I respect it. You still post your animations Craola?

high praise, thank you.

animations... y'know, i haven't been able to carve out time for any animations lately. been merrily preoccupied with this starting a family business. i've got a few things i chip away at from time to time, but i'm hoping to make a bigger splash with my next project, and i think i'm a few years out from anything significant.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2020 18:09
  • Post subject:
/diced

Last edited by craola on 09/24/2020 21:44; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States