Anime anyone?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 04/19/2011 13:29
  • Post subject: Anime anyone?
Hey guys I am pretty sure this is not the website for this, however what are your thoughts on Anime? and if you like it what are your favourites?

Personally I love Japan's gift to the world Very Happy

These are my favourites

1 Cowboy Bebop. Actually this is my favourite thing ever created Cool Any music lovers would also do well to check this out as it has in my opinion the greatest sound track of any televison show ever. Also I would recommend checking out The Seatbelts, they are a jazz band that did the music for Cowboy Bebop

2 Neon Genesis Evangelion. For those of you who have watched this you will know what I mean. THIS IS THE BIGGEST MIND FUCK OF A SERIES EVER Very Happy ...

3 Death Note. I would actually recommend the Manga over the Anime in this case, still the Anime is very well done and a pleasure to watch. Great story.

4 Ghost In The Shell. Ok there are a lot of "Ghost In The Shell's" I am referring to the first movie here. The basic plot is this, a crime thriller about a cyborg policing technological crimes. The directors of The Matrix have also cited this as a major influence

5 Full Metal Alchemist. This is actually on Cartoon Network and is the most accessible of these. The story centres around too brothers who have destroyed there bodies trying to bring their mother back to life though alchemy.

I look foward to reading your favourites Smile

Last edited by Polythene Pam on 04/20/2011 02:39; edited 1 time in total
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 04/19/2011 14:13
  • Post subject:

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 04/20/2011 01:26
  • Post subject:
Hmmm I guess that went about as well as I expected. Sad

Well if anyone on here if ends up watching some you should checkout Cowboy Bebop. Especially if you are into Film Noir, Westerns or like the short lived series Firefly.

I wonder if the is a BEA for Anime...
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 04/20/2011 19:28
  • Post subject:
PERFECT BLUE !!! by Satoshi Kon (1998)

One of my favs : intelligent, entertaining, Jap thriller. Essential viewing. Highly influential (big inspiration for Black Swan).

• Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 04/21/2011 01:44
  • Post subject:
CellarDoor wrote:

One of my favs : intelligent, entertaining, Jap thriller. Essential viewing. Highly influential (big inspiration for Black Swan).

Hooray, I knew I couldn't be the only person that likes anime.

Yeah Perfect Blue is fanatstic although I seem to recall Darren Aronofsky Saying that Perfect wasn't and influence on Black Swan. Anyway Perfect Blue is so much better Very Happy

If you Like Psychological thrillers you should definitely check out Neon Genesis Cool
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 04/21/2011 21:01
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:
CellarDoor wrote:

Yeah Perfect Blue is fanatstic although I seem to recall Darren Aronofsky Saying that Perfect wasn't and influence on Black Swan. Anyway Perfect Blue is so much better Very Happy

If you Like Psychological thrillers you should definitely check out Neon Genesis Cool

Mima Nina Nina Mima... there's clearly a link between the 2. The subway scenes are pretty similar too ; and many other things come to mind.
Aronofsky was a fan of "Perfect Blue", and actually asked to use the bathtub scene in "Requiem For A Dream".
I like both anyway Smile And I'll definitely check out movies from your list I haven't seen !
"Ghost in a Shell" is great, "Akira" is a classic, and I love all Miyazaki ("Mononoke" and "Totoro" +++).

Another favourite (very different), is the french (well, you saw it coming) "Belleville Rendez-vous". Great story, nice graphics and a wonderful soundtrack !

• Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2011 21:53
  • Post subject:
I'm more of a manga guy. Hayao Miyazaki has made some of my favorite movies of all time, though, animated or not. Satoshi Kon's "Millennium Actress" is one of my favorite films as well. Lupin III is always great for a fun time, Cowboy Bebop is unimpeachable brilliance and I think "Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade" is sincerely one of the greatest war thrillers ever made.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 04/22/2011 02:47
  • Post subject:
CellarDoor wrote:
Polythene Pam wrote:
CellarDoor wrote:

Mima Nina Nina Mima... there's clearly a link between the 2. The subway scenes are pretty similar too ; and many other things come to mind.
Aronofsky was a fan of "Perfect Blue", and actually asked to use the bathtub scene in "Requiem For A Dream".
I like both anyway Smile And I'll definitely check out movies from your list I haven't seen !
"Ghost in a Shell" is great, "Akira" is a classic, and I love all Miyazaki ("Mononoke" and "Totoro" +++).

Another favourite (very different), is the french (well, you saw it coming) "". Great story, nice graphics and a wonderful soundtrack !

Neat I will check out "Belleville Rendez-vous" then. And yeah Miyazaki is amazing (Nausicaa for me)

As for Perfect Blue and Black Swan. Yeah the are undeniably similar and I would agree that Aronofsky was influenced by it, I am just sure I saw or heard somewhere that he said it didn't influence his movie. Oh Well
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 04/22/2011 19:27
  • Post subject:
Just if you were wondering about that bathtub scene Wink

• Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 04/23/2011 14:14
  • Post subject:
CellarDoor wrote:
Just if you were wondering about that bathtub scene Wink