Qu'est-ce qu'on s'emmerde.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/29/2015 16:11
  • Post subject:
FR

That I had to stop after three tracks, something that hardly ever happens to me. No doubt she's got heartfelt things to say, and the songs are probably not so badly written, but that 90's Corrs pop sound is simply unbearable.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/29/2015 17:27
  • Post subject:
NR

An archival release on the World Arbiter label that seems to have some fifteen references on their catalog, mostly Balinese and traditional Japanese music. This concentrates on gamelan music from Peliatan (in the south of Bali apparently), and the local style called "Legong". It is also my first full listen to a complete album of gamelan, and I must say it was a splendid moment. Metallophones sounding like bells first have a soothing, relaxing effect, after a while it gets plain hypnotic. The changes of pace can be quite stunning and got my son in a trancey-like dance at the first acceleration - quite the rave effect, I believe? Astonishing.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 11/30/2015 05:35
  • Post subject:
^getting on this. Been very into Gamelan lately. Merci!

Have you heard the Golden Rain comp from the Nonesuch explorers series Norm?
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/30/2015 06:49
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:

Have you heard the Golden Rain comp from the Nonesuch explorers series Norm?

Nope. Need to delve into these Nonesuch Explorers series, looking through this as a type. Cheers!
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/30/2015 17:43
  • Post subject:
'93

So, as of yesterday night, the new year subject to a "RYM's favourite tracks of..." is 1993. I've spent a few hours putting up a first draft (some relistens due) of 101 tracks already. I don't mean to bother you with the whole list of course, but I thought I might shed a light on some lesser-known tracks I've included in the draft. They're lesser-known because they're French. Je suis Paris.

Link

Dominique A, "L'adversité" (off Si Je Connais Harry)

Link

IAM, "Le feu" (single, off De la planète Mars)

Link

Jean Bart, "Egoïste dans un corps en solo" (off Egoïste dans un corps en solo)

Link

Jean-François Coen, "La tour de Pise" (off Jean-François Coen)

Link

Jean-Louis Murat, "La fin du parcours" (off Vénus)

Link

L'Affaire Louis Trio, "Le capitaine" (off Mobilis In Mobile)

Link

Les Thugs, "Papapapa" (off As Happy As Possible)

Link

NTM, "Police" (off 1993... J'appuie sur la gâchette)

Link

Pascal Comelade, "Arthur Cravan Was a Flor Fina" (off Traffic D'Abstraction)

Link

Silvain Vanot, "Corvéable à merci" (off Silvain Vanot)
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/30/2015 19:15
  • Post subject:
'15

Skullflower / Black Sunroof!, Military Temples (for Coil)

Considering there are already 9 Skullflower releases in our database, I'm quite surprised not to see this one. Anyway, I only knew the remarkable IIIrd Gatekeeper from their discography, and I quite liked their latest. It's actually some harsh noise remixed/revamped by Sunroof!, i.e. Mathew Bower, a prominent member of... Skullflower. Talk about schizophrenia. The whole album sounds more or less like power electronics, and once again, after the first track I thought I'd found a masterpiece - it sounds like My Bloody Valentine dropping the song format altogether and leaving the amps on autopilot for the passers-by to get deaf too. Beautiful. A masterpiece the album is not, however, mainly because some tracks can get very grating and just plain unpleasant to listen to ("Temple 3" mainly, very difficult to sit through). But most tracks are simply entrancing, and "Temple"s 1 and 7 are absolutely superb. Noise ain't music pollution for sure, and I'm opening to it every day more.

Don't ask me about the "for Coil" bit, I know not enough Coil releases to know how exactly this is a homage to their music. Anyway, for all those people who like drone, noise, and harsh ambient, this is highly recommened and will make my '15 chart.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 12/01/2015 10:46
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Check out

Instinct by The Moles

Absolutely LOVING this, Norman! Seems like Cardinal's sound was already fully realized on this release with tracks such as Minor Royal March, Cars For Kings Cross and Cassie Peek. I always thought Eric Matthews was the architect of Cardinal's sound but this roundly disproves that. I mean those track would easily fit right in on Cardinal's s debut and I'd b none the wiser. The rest of the album is super solid indie rock and seems inspired by Soft Boys, Swelll Maps and Syd Barrett. Really some of the tracks kind of remind me of early GBV even. Nice little indie rockers!

Super impressed. Going to throw this on my 90s chart which I'm using to showcase unheralded 90s gems such as this. Thanks, Norman, for the hook up. Going to check out that other Moles LP really soon.
RepoMan

• Posted: 12/01/2015 13:05
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:

rather than

Untune The Sky by The Moles

if it's the chamber pop you're after. Untune the Sky is noisier and not far from shoegaze on occasions (still very good, so check both if you're into that too).

Love this too! Solid Kiwi Rock with just a smidge of shoegaze as you suggest. Too bad they didn't get more recognition back in the day (at least in the states) because this is great indie rock.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/06/2015 07:48
  • Post subject:
I've been quite unfaithful to this diary in the past week: lots of work, both within and without of the regular job (trying to save the family, mostly my personal bank account, from utter bankruptcy, is quite the chore). Anyway, I finally had the time yesterday for some listens, which actually can be reduced to exactly two records, that I must have listened to five times in a row each.

CD

Complete Communion by Don Cherry

is fantastic and might be my favourite Don Cherry release so far (only beginning the plunge, tbh, and it's a huge discography out there). What I particularly liked was the mix of adventure or originality with a thoroughly overall accessible take on the avant-garde jazz idiom. The record is both daring and incredibly catchy and easy on the ear, with a joy in some parts that is just a delight to let oneself drown into. I would even recommend it as an entry point into Cherry's jazz. The sidewinders are extraordinary : Gato Barbieri, Ed Blackwell (by the way try Don Cherry And Ed Blackwell's El Corazon if you ever get the chance, beautiful stuff), Henry Grimes (whom I don't know).

CD

DE9 by Richie Hawtin

is extraordinary. Minimal Detroit-style techno that is surprisingly fun and playful. Richie Hawtin (a.k.a. Plastikman) is a hell of a beatmaker and never forgets to appeal both to the brains and the legs, as this mix is one you can definitely dance to all along. It's got quite fun parts too that got me smiling while moving my feet - and got the kid totally charmed with a techno album! Serves all purposes. Perfect synthesis that manages to sound quite "simple" and, at the same time, keeps you wondering about the wizardry of it all.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 12/09/2015 17:14
  • Post subject:
Just curious what your three favorite kiwi rock albums are. I'm going through a phase where that's the perfect sound for my short breaks from meditation and qigong.