Behind The Wall aka Life Without Spotify

View previous topic :: View next topic
RepoMan

• Posted: 11/25/2015 14:50
  • Post subject: Behind The Wall aka Life Without Spotify
So I arrived. It's winter here but there's no heat at the qigong center. I didn't count on that so I'm ill prepared and freezing & shivering on my makeshift "bed". Will try and have the wife send my sleeping bag but we're on the outs. A few two thousand favors or so I needed without being able to give back has built a fiery resentment and she's pist off. Really hope I get that sleeping bag though. It's cold in here.

The internet barely works here and consequently the VPN I purchased isn't working. My Spotify is down and I'm in mourning.

So this diary is going to be about the albums I do have. Whatever I happen to have tucked away on my computer hard drive and ipod.

Lesson #1: Acceptance.
RepoMan

• Posted: 11/25/2015 15:01
  • Post subject:

United Kingdom by American Music Club

Which is just the perfect album for how I'm feeling right now. This is my first listen but it may be AMC's best right up there with California but works better as a cohesive listen. It's raw and real and doesn't delve too far into the bathos & schmaltz that marred (for me) AMC's post-Everclear works such as Mercury.

This is a great find!!! Will post further thoughts after a few more spins.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/25/2015 15:57
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
doesn't delve too far into the bathos & schmaltz that marred (for me) AMC's post-Everclear works such as Mercury.

Interesting. I'm an AMC liker myself (not lover though) and still think Mercury is their best, and don't feel about it like you at all - the bathetic aspect, always present in Eitzel's work (try Songs of Love for instance!) is aptly contradicted by some self-ironic so-down-I-might-just-ridicule-it-all humour that I can quite relate to, and which is lacking (as far as I remember? Probs need to relisten to earlier stuff though) in the other LPs.

Also: I really appreciate that I can read you Repo.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 11/25/2015 18:36
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
RepoMan wrote:
doesn't delve too far into the bathos & schmaltz that marred (for me) AMC's post-Everclear works such as Mercury.

Interesting. I'm an AMC liker myself (not lover though) and still think Mercury is their best, and don't feel about it like you at all - the bathetic aspect, always present in Eitzel's work (try Songs of Love for instance!) is aptly contradicted by some self-ironic so-down-I-might-just-ridicule-it-all humour that I can quite relate to, and which is lacking (as far as I remember? Probs need to relisten to earlier stuff though) in the other LPs.

Hey, Norman. Just relistened to Everclear to try to suss out my feelings on these AMC releases. I think the biggest issue for me is their musical sound switched dramatically with the loss of Tom Mallon as producer. Tom Mallon gave those first four AMCs album a very American Underground feel whereas starting with Everclear the production got amped up considerably and AMC got a more typical Alt Nation sound and feel. Those two eras of AMC are very different to me. I love the first era far more but do appreciate Everclear and and to a lesser extent Mercury. I just prefer the sparse, minimal production of the Mallon years and will check out Engine, their second LP, next.

Relistened to United Kingdom for a second time and am really impressed. Definitely as good if not better than California for fans of that LP.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2015 19:38
  • Post subject:
It's probably because Mercury was my entry point into AMC, but it forever remains my favorite. United Kingdom never did much for me in comparison, but I think I'm due for a return to that one.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 11/28/2015 21:59
  • Post subject:
On day 3 I fled. It was near midnight. It was cold. I was shivering. My cot felt especially hard and wooden. There was no way I was going to be able to fall asleep. So I fled.

I'd tried. I had on thin long underwear and three sweatpants on, but because of my extensive nerve damage, my legs just could not get warm.

I quickly packed my backpack with the essentials - my catheters and toothbrush, made my way cautiously down the four flights of stairs on my wobbly legs and headed out to the Guilin streets where I found... silence and darkness. I trudged one block in the general direction of downtown and realized my legs were not taking me anywheres and no miraculous cabbie was going to rescue from these empty streets. But I was determined to get a night's rest so I woke up a fellow bunker more for his youthful enthusiasm than the little English he knew and after assuring him that I did not need to got to the hospital that I needed a nice luxurious Western hotel that had HEAT and that i just did;t give a fuck how much it cost he made the necessary arrangements and soon i was lying on luxuriant down comforter taking in the heat and a gorgeous view of the Li river pigging out on meat. I did;t care if it whether it was horse or not. meat is what i craved.

And then returned to the qigong center in the morning because I'm truly a good, little determined boy when it comes right down to it.

meccalecca wrote:
It's probably because Mercury was my entry point into AMC, but it forever remains my favorite. United Kingdom never did much for me in comparison, but I think I'm due for a return to that one.

Cool. I think you'll dig it. I'm definitely going to give Mercury another shot or two considering both you and Norman like it best.