Greatest Bands/Artists Of All-Time........

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
DetroitRJR3rd

• Posted: 08/12/2007 16:10
  • Post subject: Greatest Bands/Artists Of All-Time........
Discuss Your Greatest Bands/Artists Of All-Time
  • Visit poster's website
DetroitRJR3rd

• Posted: 08/12/2007 16:46
  • Post subject:
This Is In Any Order......

Oasis-Will Be Remebred As The Best Band Of The 90s+ Wonderwall,Live Forever,Champagne Supernova,Dont Look Back In Anger,Cast No Shadows,Talk Tonight,Masterplan,Born On A Different Cloud, Dont Go Away, Gas Panic!, Importance Of Being Idle, Etc., Etc., Etc.,.......
Noel Gallagher-Amazing Song Writer
Liam Gallagher-Very Hard To Copy Vocals
The Beatles-All Of Them Could Sing, Play Instrumentals, Write,
The Rolling Stones-Jagger And Richards Fantastic Combo, Had A Much More Darker Side Then The Beatles.
Pink Floyd-No One Has Sounded Like Them Since
Guns N' Roses-Out Of Controll Mayhem That Translated Well To Their Music.
Chuck Berry-Who Didn't He Influence In His Time?
Four Tops/Temptations Along With The Other Early Motown Stars Created A Brand New Sound That Was Soulful And Had Amazing Rythmn.
The Cure-I Dare Any "EMO" Artist To Claim They Were Not Influenced By Robert Smith And The Cure! Listen To Disintegration And Simon Gallup's Bass....Fits In So Well With Smiths Vocals.
The Doors-Morrisions Lyrics And Ray Manzareks Amazing Keyboards Created A Great Psychadelic Sound.
Billy Joel-Brought A New York Attitude To The Piano...."We Didnt Start The Fire" Is Such An Important Song In Music History.
Jimi Hendrix-Vocals+Guitar=Legend
Bruce Springsteen-Every Song Was Like A Book...
Tom Petty-My God Is He Underated Or What? His Newest Album "Highway Companion Still Shows He Hasn't Lost A Thing.
Bob Dylan-Has Influenced Every Generation....Could Be The Greatest Lyrisist Ever.
The Animals-Is There A More Underated Band From The 60's?
Here's One That Might Raise Some Eyebrows...How Bout Billy Corgan From The Smashing Pumpkins? Such A Unique Voice And Amzing Songs That touch You In So Many Ways Just Listen To "Thirty-Three" Or "1979"
Neil Young-Wonderful Folk/Rock....Is Gretaly Underated.
David Bowie-1st To Have An Alter/Ego Has To Be On A List Like This...Five Years Is Just An Amazing Song.
Nas- A Rappers Poet
2pac-Touched A Generation
Notorious B.I.G.-The Greatest Of All-time In Rap....I Still Remeber The Day I Bought "Life After Death" Blew Me Away. "Your Nobody, Till Somebody, Kills You" Is an sad ironic song...but one of his best.

This Is Just The First Couple I Can Come Up With....I Will Come Up With Some More Soon.
  • Visit poster's website
YellowBook

• Posted: 08/13/2007 07:41
  • Post subject:
yes, good picks.

some more random ones...

New Order - extremely underrated but very important in the history of music
Radiohead - more than any popular band of the 90's actually helped to shift a genre in new directions. I think will be seen as important as Pink Floyd in ten years time.
Marvin Gaye - defined a whole decade in his genre
Stevie Wonder - great songwriter, great voice, stunningly good music
Marillion - underrated progressive rock band from the 80's, I still listen to Clutching at Straws
Augustus Pablo - godfather of dub and for that I salute you.
Roxy Music - helped to put some sexyness into the 70's. great music and even better album art
Cindy Lauper - great voice and underrated music
Everything but the Girl - love her voice
Jean-Michel Jarre - strange to include him here, he seems a bit odd on this list but his music speaks for itself and I always get a lot of joy listening to it. A real entertainer, took live performances to a new level
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2007 01:02
  • Post subject:
Wow! You included Oasis and left these bands out?

The Velvet Undergound-the band that influenced all things alternative and bohemian in rock.
The JB's--invented funk, a genre that would go on to permeated soul, rock, and eventually evolve into hip hop.
The Ramones-The band that kickstarted punk by reinventing old school rock n roll and making it fun again.
The Clash-The band that put the political and the topical back in rock n roll without being too pretentious about it.
The Smiths and R.E.M.--Both these bands are responsible for two things--making guitar music cool and relevant again, and ushering in the alternative/indie rock era.
Sonic Youth-A band that found a way to blend noise rock experimentalism with pop/rock song structures thereby opening up a new avenue to explore for would be indie/art rockers.
Nirvana-There's been big several rock big bangs (they usually happen when rock n roll has gotten stale and boring for too long)-i.e.The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Ramones/ Sex Pistols, R.EM./The Smiths, and then about 10 years later, Nirvana Boom! Right on time.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/14/2007 09:18
  • Post subject:
John Coltrane-Probably the most important rock or jazz artist of the 20th century and among the most innovative musicians in music history, his highly emotional, spiritual and visceral journeys on the saxophone are truly religious experiences. Is one of a small handful of artists to record a supreme masterpiece, A Love Supreme--one of the greatest musical works ever created. His follow up, Ascension is a masterpiece in its own right.

Charles Mingus-Recorded what is possibly the single greatest music work of the last 75+ years, The Black Saint & the Sinner Lady, not to mention his amazing earlier album Pithecanthropus Erectus, from which the title track influenced the coming free jazz movement 4 years later. Perhaps the greatest jazz composer in history.

Captain Beefheart-Quite possibly the most innovative artist since Beethoven, Beefheart redefined what the collaborative elements of rock music could even be and sound like. Trout Mask Replica remains the most astonishing, overwhelming work the genre has yet produced. The amazing Safe As Milk is one of the greatest debuts in rock history.

Robert Wyatt-One of the greatest, most underrated and misunderstood geniuses in music history, Wyatt released Rock Bottom, one of the single most unique, miraculous and deeply profound works of art in history. Also, composed one of the greatest songs of all time with the suite Moon In June from Soft Machine's masterpiece Third, in addition to his idiosynchratic and superb solo debut End of an Ear.

Faust-Among the most original artists in rock history, virtually inventing a whole new level of emotional outpouring and compositional craft with their self titled supreme masterpiece, Faust. Faust IV contains what may be one of the most innovative and masterful "rock" tracks of all time, Krautrock--a genre defining emotional journey.

Anthony Braxton-Possibly the most innovative music artist after 1967, Braxton played by turns desolate, violent, emotionally exhausting solo pieces throughout his two staggering masterworks, For Alto and Saxophone Improvisations Series F.

The Velvet Underground-Without question the most influential rock band in history, their debut Velvet Underground & Nico remains one of the most inspired, innovative and haunting portrayals of degradation ever depicted. Their follow up White Light/White Heat was nearly as important and powerful, capping off with what may be the greatest rock song of all time, Sister Ray.

Tim Buckley-The greatest vocalist in rock history and a hugely important figure in the liberation of folk music with his two masterpieces, the comatose, lugubrious mystery and bleeding heart of Lorca, and the otherworldly Starsailor.

Ornette Coleman-Invented free jazz, thus spear heading dramatic changes in jazz forever, Coleman shook the music world with the unorthodox passion of The Shape of Jazz To Come and then turned it on its ear with full blown ecstacy on Free Jazz.

Miles Davis-One of the most prolific and important composers in history, Davis changed jazz forever with the jazz-rock masterpiece Bitches Brew, but even before this worldwide success had already reinvented melodic freedom with the timeless Kind of Blue.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr.Music

Estonia

• Posted: 10/15/2007 14:47
  • Post subject:
Captain Beefheart
John Coltrane
Tim Buckley
Van Morrison
Iggy Pop & The Stooges(Rock without them, pffff boring)
Velvet Underground & Nico
The Clash
Kraftwerk & NEU!
The Smiths(They are the godfathers of british poprock, no doubt)
Bob Dylan(Cant do a serious list without him)
  • Visit poster's website
bc1991

• Posted: 10/15/2007 21:22
  • Post subject:
Nice lists but I can't believe that no classical artist have been mentioned on a all-time best artist list!!

Ludwing Van Beethoven.- Beethoven is maybe the most influencial musician of all time. His ninth symphony is the highest point of musical greatness, without forgetting he had a loss hearing when he started this composition, and completly deaf when he finished it. Some other classical artists that should be considered before any other rock band/artists are: Mozart, Bach, Brahms, Haydn, Schubert, Chopin, Mahler, Vivaldi, Satie, Debussy, Stravinski, Strauss, Wagner, and the list can go on.

Louis Armstrong.- The most influencial artist of the 20th century. It's on the Hot Five and Sevens Vol 1-4 recordings that Armstrong changes Modern Music from then on, not only with his playing but also with his singing & scatting. It is because of him there are solos in modern music. It was all ensemble playing before that. He was the first scatter and influenced everyone after him including Ella Fitzgerald. His singing influenced a great many people in many different genres of music as well. Best recordings: The complete Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings.

Frank Zappa.- Zappa was one of the most accomplished composers of the rock era; his music combines an understanding of and appreciation for such contemporary classical figures as Stravinsky, Stockhausen, and Varèse with an affection for late 50s doo wop rock & roll and a facility for the guitar-heavy rock that dominated pop in the 70s. He worked in almost every musical genre and wrote music for rock bands, jazz ensembles, synthesizers and symphony orchestra. Best recordings: We're only in it for the Money, Hot Rats, Freak Out, Absolutely Free, Uncle Meat, The Grand Wazoo, Apostrophe.

Brian Eno.- Brian Eno self-described as a non-musician, is another of the greatest influences on almost every genre of the last 40 decades. He is an ambient pioneer, glam rocker, hit producer, multimedia artist, technological innovator and worldbeat proponent. Determining his creative pathways with the aid of a deck of instructional, Eno forever altered the ways in which music is approached, composed, performed, and perceived, and everything from punk to techno to new age bears his unmistakable influence. Best recordings: Another Green World, My life in the Bush of Ghosts, Apollo: Atmospheres and Sountracks, Possible Musics, Ambient: Music for Airports, Here Come the Warm Jets, Before and After Science.

Last edited by bc1991 on 10/22/2007 06:05; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/15/2007 22:34
  • Post subject:
I didn't include classical artists because the site focuses on albums.

Otherwise, Beethoven, Brahms, Bach, Mozart, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, Mahler, and so forth would all have to be included.
  • Visit poster's website
bc1991

• Posted: 10/16/2007 15:35
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
I didn't include classical artists because the site focuses on albums.

Otherwise, Beethoven, Brahms, Bach, Mozart, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, Mahler, and so forth would all have to be included.

You are right about that.
And I apologize myself for being a prick.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/21/2007 18:30
  • Post subject:
Don't worry about it. I didn't take it personally. If being a prick means you'll continue to barrage on us with your excellent choices, then by all means continue!
  • Visit poster's website