Thoughts on Kanye's upcoming album SWISH

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 01/26/2016 19:57
  • Post subject: Thoughts on Kanye's upcoming album SWISH
After he dropped Facts about a month ago, I had a lot of questions about what SWISH might sound like.. I wasn't feeling this track at all to be honest.

Facts https://soundcloud.com/kanyewest/facts-explicit

But he delivered with the next track he put out (Real Friends), going back to his roots with a flow that resembles his thirst 3 albums. And he ended the track with a teaser of his next single which was going to be featuring Kendrick Lamar.. And not only did he grab the dopest feature you could imagine, he also grabs the legendary Mr. Loop Digga, Madlib do produce the beat.

Real Friends https://soundcloud.com/kanyewest/real-f...la-snipped

No More Parties In L.A. (feat. Kendrick Lamar, prod. Madlib) https://soundcloud.com/kanyewest/nomorepartiesinla

The tracklist was posted not too long ago. Doesn't look like Facts will be on the album so I have my hope up that this will be a pretty great album.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/26/2016 20:06
  • Post subject:
I'm feeling a lot more hopeful after seeing that none of the tracks from last year (none of which I enjoyed) are on the album. I liked Real Friends and No More Parties, so hopefully the rest of the album follows along those lines.

Noticed too that there's only 10 tracks. Maybe shorter albums like Yeezus is gonna be the norm from Kanye now?
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 01/26/2016 20:39
  • Post subject:
When I first heard Facts, I thought it sucked but I knew it would be a throwawy track. I'm thankful it was excluded off the album. Real Friends just reminded me how great a producer that Kanye is, and that he can write some ridiculously good lyrics when he puts his mind to it. No More Parties In L.A. is kinda rough sketchy in some places, production wise, but both Kendrick and Kanye both have some excellent and witty moments in their lyrics.

I'm actually now really hopeful for Swish, and I hope it lives up to the hype.
undefined

• Posted: 01/26/2016 22:04
  • Post subject:
I really hope No More Parties In L.A. gets a proper master on the LP, because the version they released sounds like it was recorded over a cellphone and honestly it's a total waste of what might otherwise be a dope madlib beat. I'm hyped for the album but at the same time I have a lingering sensation that it's probably gonna be terribly disjointed (just based on where it feels like Kanye's head's been at lately)
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 01/26/2016 22:09
  • Post subject:
Relatively high hopes. Yeezus has aged pretty well, and MBDTF has grown on me over the years (even if I still don't hear the masterpiece that everybody else seems to). I really liked 'All Day', and 'Real Friends' is my favourite Kanye song since... 'Blood on the Leaves'? 'Blame Game'? Ten tracks leaves little room for error, and a concise, focused Kanye who has taken some time away could be a good thing. I dunno, but I'm definitely looking forward to hearing it.
Satie

• Posted: 01/26/2016 22:21
  • Post subject:
I would be far less interested if I thought it was gonna be another 55+ minute album project from him, but he seems to know how to edit himself, and I'm excited to see a product of extended thought that has the streamlined qualities of his more hurried masterpieces, 808s and Yeezus. I have not been impressed by anything he's released semi-officially in the past year or so. Like, at all. But I did think "All Day" and "Wolves," which if I'm not mistaken were partial leaks, were kinda cool. Hopefully he can re-work No More Parties in LA, and I'll need to re-listen to Real Friends. I remember being very underwhelmed, but I only tried it once.

Oh also I hope the album cover follows the design of his GOOD Friday releases, 'cause I like that look.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 01/26/2016 22:29
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
I really hope No More Parties In L.A. gets a proper master on the LP, because the version they released sounds like it was recorded over a cellphone and honestly it's a total waste of what might otherwise be a dope madlib beat. I'm hyped for the album but at the same time I have a lingering sensation that it's probably gonna be terribly disjointed (just based on where it feels like Kanye's head's been at lately)

Everything you've said here except that I think the beat wasn't great for madlib's usual quality. Like it was a good idea, but the vocals that are sampled (maybe that doesn't count as the beat i honestly don't know) are really poorly mixed with the bass and that sort of really plucky guitar. "Shake that party that party that parrrrrrr" was just flat out annoying.

IDK I think the album will be better than Yeezus for me but I didn't really like Yeezus much if at all. I expect an average rap album from a pretty average rapper (Kanye's done some great production and a couple great verses but not much for me as a whole), but I'd love it if he could surprise me.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 01/26/2016 22:31
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
"Shake that party that party that parrrrrrr" was just flat out annoying.

Don't fuck with Ghost, you'll feel sorry.
Satie

• Posted: 01/26/2016 22:34
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
"Shake that party that party that parrrrrrr" was just flat out annoying.

Really? I love when Madlib beats move more into that territory of like fucking loony music to bounce a beach ball to that he employs a lot on like Quasimoto releases or at times on Madvillain where your ear gets caught up in the momentum. Serious Madlib is perfect to the point of lethargy. The only issue on that song is that Kanye and Kendrick are not fun enough rappers to make the beat work.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 01/26/2016 23:13
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
Really? I love when Madlib beats move more into that territory of like fucking loony music to bounce a beach ball to that he employs a lot on like Quasimoto releases or at times on Madvillain where your ear gets caught up in the momentum. Serious Madlib is perfect to the point of lethargy. The only issue on that song is that Kanye and Kendrick are not fun enough rappers to make the beat work.

This honestly might just be more of a matter of personal taste then since I'm not really a big Quasimoto fan. As for the bits on Madvillain that sort of do that, I can feel where you're coming from but for me those feel more intentional, or at least less like someone just adding to the background noise and more like there's some reason for some of those samples/moments to be in there. I dunno, maybe the track will grow on me eventually, I honestly want to like it (Kendrick plus Madlib should have me drooling) so maybe I'm just nitpicking cuz I was expecting something really great.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website