RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2016 08:34
  • Post subject:
85/100

The Velvet Underground And Nico by The ...nderground

1. Sunday Morning (100)
Love the chill vocals and simple bassline with the almost ballerina music box sound going on. Bittersweet nostalgia sound.

2. I'm Waiting For The Man (90)
I like how this song is very simple. Two chords and a chorus. This song reminds me of a friend who played guitar like both guitar parts in this song.

3. Femme Fatale (60)
While the lyrics are quite interesting, I really don't like the performance of this song. Didn't like the vocals, don't like the unintentionally distorted sound. Meh... pretty average.

4. Venus In Furs (90)
I think what really makes this song is the violin, right? Really cool. Having said that I feel the violin was a little flat during the chorus. BDSM?

5. Run Run Run (90)
Some good old blues/rock n' roll.

6. All Tomorrow's Parties (80)
I think I liked this Nico tune a bit better because the performances are much better from the piano, to guitar, to vocals. Somehow this song makes me laugh a bit about the idea of a simple mind wondering about all tomorrows parties.

7. Heroin (100)
I've never done heroin but I imagine this song does an ok job of reflecting the pain/seriousness/rush/psychology/etc. that goes into it. At least that's how i feel when I listen to it.
Not sure if the drone is the violin, but I like it... it goes a little crazy near the end and part of me likes that and part of me gets annoyed with it, pending on my mood.

8. There She Goes Again (90)
Reminds me a bit of "walk on the wild side", lyrically. Interesting how Lou would put such ugly stories into pop songs as a juxtaposition I guess.

9. I'll Be Your Mirror (100)
The best Nico track on this record. Absolutely beautiful guitar work, showing that the messy work really isn't because they can't do better.

10. Black Angel's Death Song (60)
Sorry, I think the poetry is great, but the music is just too terrible on purpose for my taste. I guess I'm just not cool enough to "get" it Mr. Hipster/beatnik.

11. European Son
This song also reminds me of the same friend. I like how things are in rhythm and not if that makes any sense. If you put a metronome up to this it would be more or less in time, but definitely not always on the beat with the guitar playing at least. Probably best bass line on the album.

Overall Impression
So first off I don't know anything about this album other than it has Lou Reed, John Cale, and Nico, and was produced by Andy Warhol, so forgive my ignorance.

The "messy" guitar work on this makes me wonder how much was on purpose and how much maybe was just what they did/couldn't do better. I do feel like Kurt Cobain not only did the same messy guitar sounds and was given a hard time about it as if he couldn't do better... but I think it's on purpose. Part of me likes that... messy on purpose and part of it grates on me so, that I just can't enjoy it. I felt at least Kurt had emotion into it and this sounds just messy just to be messy, not emotion. I see this with Sonic Youth, too.

On this note the whole album reminds me of a lot of punk rock type albums that it's either the most genius stuff ever or shit and there's a very small distinction between the two. Pending on my mood I feel this album is just that and almost feels like it was purposely done like this from the likes of Andy Warhol.

So I kinda have this love/hate relationship with this record for this reason. Otherwise I think it would be rated higher.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 02/15/2016 03:18; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2016 08:38
  • Post subject:
Score: 100/100

Abbey Road by The Beatles

Come Together (100)
A little creepy that John Lennon sings shoot me in this song and well got shot like 11 years later. I mean I'm not like superstitious or anything about it, just saying a little interesting. i realize it has no connection whatsoever.

Anyway, people talk about Kurt Cobain being a terrible lyricist and really I think this song is a great example of lyrics kinda don't matter. One of the Beatles songs that will be for forever remembered and it's lyrics mean nothing.

It also has one of my favorite bass lines in history. And although the drums are super simple, it's just some of the most lyrical drumming I've heard.

Something (100)
The guitar solo is beautiful. Love the guitar tone as well, very Beatlesque. The bass line is phenomenal in my opinion. It almost is it's own vocal melody. Just beautiful song.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer (90)
Kooky Beatles. Interesting keyboard work with at least three different ideas going on: melody and post chorus electronic work and then the honky tonk like piano, that then turns almost concert piano certain points. For some reason I can just see the ministry of silly walks having fun with this.

Oh! Darling (100)
I feel this song is the closest the Beatles ever come to having a good soul song (read most passionate). Great music all around, piano, guitar, vocals, drums, bass.

Octopus's Garden (100)
My second favorite Ringo song. Sometimes I think it a bit strange and then sometimes when I hate humanity, it sounds like the greatest getaway ever invented.

I Want You (She's So Heavy) (100)
I remember my dad joking they didn't know how to end this one... and maybe he was right. Probably one of the hardest Beatles songs next to Helter Skelter.

Here Comes The Sun (100)
Absolutely beautiful. It's winter now and I just can't wait for spring and this song just encapsulates it better than any other.

Because (100)
This vocal is just absolutely gorgeous. It also is this almost orgasmic connection with nature. It almost makes me wonder how much this was influenced by drugs. The beginning of the masterpiece string.

You Never Give Me Your Money (100)
But oh that magic feeling, no where to go. I can't help but feel this is Paul talking about the breakup and reflection of the Beatles for some reason. It's really incoherent and just a bunch of ideas mashed together, though, so I'm in no way saying that is it, just a feeling I got this listen around. Love how this transitioned into next with maybe like the glass trick with water?

Sun King (100)
Beautiful. I really almost feel like this mythical figure is coming on a chariot or something. The music really does paint a picture for me that is very clear and beautiful.

Mean Mr Mustard (100)
Dig the fuzz on the bass. Silly song about old man. I see a really old ugly man in underwear for some reason. Not sure why these simple, short songs are so impacting.

Polythene Pam (100)
This almost isn't even another song, it fits so well with it's preceding and anteceding songs. Great guitar solo and ending into:

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (100)
I almost feel this was an answer to polythene pam... like they were just dinking around with the previous and then passed it on from Jon to Paul... you know like when you write a story where you write a sentence and pass it on to the next friend to finish and then pass it back and forth every sentence/idea or so?

Golden Slumbers (100)
For sometime this again reminds me of Paul wanting simpler times of when the Beatles weren't such a complicated mess. A longing for something that just couldn't move forward. Song can get us through? Sad and somber.

Carry That Weight (100)
This reminds me of the death of my father. My brother turned to me shortly after his death and sad it reminded him of the almost 15 years he was in a nursing home surviving health issues. He carried his weight for a long time.

The End (100)
I think I heard somewhere that the 3 distinct sounds of solos were from all three George, Paul, and John, which is pretty rad (probably wrong). Also this is probably the only drum solo that I actually enjoy. It's simple and not over the top. Great tone throughout this track on drums and guitars. Also what a beautiful idea: the love you take is equal to the love you make (hopefully of course... reality is usually not this).

Her Majesty (100)
Haha, this is great. Part of what makes the Beatles so great is they don't take themselves too seriously. It's always a witty English thing hidden somewhere.

Overall Experience:
Every time I listen to this record, I mean really listen to it, I am mentally and emotionally bettered. It just fills my soul to the brim. Why, I don't know, but it does. It's sad, funny, happy, beautiful, loving, solemn. It just hits all the right spots. I've really gained a personal relationship with this record. It also just blows my mind this is the last stuff they recorded together (in seriousness... there's that old toot and a snort thing floating around and George would have Ringo come drum, etc., but not as a group). Let It Be was actually recorded before, but released after.

I know everyone says it, but I really do love the last bit of songs at the end of this album. Some of them, in of themselves, aren't much, but they are these sketches of different thoughts and feelings that I think because they execute the thought or feeling so well, are so good. As a musician I often write stuff that I think well I have this emotion and I can only really convey 1 minute of that feeling, what now... instead of forcing more... I wonder if learning from this and just cutting it off there is good enough. If the whole record was like this, I'm curious if it would be too jittery though. Anyway, I think the credit has gone to Paul for it (at least that's what I heard, either he chased the others out of the studio with his controlling stuff, or they just weren't there) and it's just genius how it worked out in my opinion.

Having said that, really solid performances by all of the band on the record. Come Together is some of John's best work ever, as well as Here Comes the Sun for George, and Octapus' Garden for Ringo.

This really is and deserves to be my favorite record of all time.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 02/15/2016 04:12; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2016 08:39
  • Post subject:
Score: 90/100

Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys

While I agree the record is beautiful and sincere and has real relationship songs (not just bubble gum love you songs, but seems like real relationship contemplations), it's just not a favorite of mine.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 02/21/2016 23:15; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2016 08:42
  • Post subject:
Score: /100

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
With A Little Help From My Friends
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Getting Better
Fixing A Hole
She's Leaving Home
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite !
Within You Without You
When I'm Sixty-Four
Lovely Rita
Good Morning Good Morning
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
A Day In The Life

Overall Experience:
Minus when I'm 64 (which at times is a "cute" song and I still give it an 85), this album is flawless. It also marks when the Beatles went from a status of boy band, big well known band, to respectable artists. They are studied at university, whereas the Stones aren't, for example (USC School of Music as my real life example), and I really think it has to do with the level of greatness the album achieved. Plus the idea to stop touring and have your album go on tour for you was quite the fun idea and allowed for the Beatles to even further mature their music.

All that aside, one of my personal all time favorite albums. Something magical about each song. It always mentally and soulfully fulfills me.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 02/21/2016 23:21; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2016 08:43
  • Post subject:

Highway 61 Revisited by Bob Dylan

Like A Rolling Stone 5:59
Tombstone Blues 5:53
It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry 3:25
From A Buick 6 3:06
Ballad Of A Thin Man 5:48
Queen Jane Approximately 4:57
Highway 61 Revisited 3:15
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues 5:08
Desolation Row 11:18

Overall Experience:
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2016 08:46
  • Post subject:

The Beatles (The White Album) by The Beatles

Back In The U.S.S.R.
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Wild Honey Pie
The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Martha, My Dear
I'm So Tired
Blackbird
Piggies
Rocky Raccoon
Don't Pass Me By
Why Don't We Do It In The Road
I Will
Julia
Birthday
Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Long, Long, Long
Revolution 1
Honey Pie
Savoy Truffle
Cry, Baby, Cry
Revolution 9
Good Night

Overall Experience:

This is just an explosion of musical ideas. It was both a great time for them, but then possibly lead to their demise. I remember one of the Beatles saying... what's the point of being in this band together, we are just supporting each others solo acts... but in my opinion it was much more than that.

Sooo many great songs and fun musical excursions.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 02/21/2016 23:23; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2016 08:48
  • Post subject:

The Doors by The Doors

Break On Through (To The Other Side) 2:25
Soul Kitchen 3:30
The Crystal Ship 2:30