Corrections / Amendments

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
iancrockert141

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/27/2016 20:38
  • Post subject: Corrections / Amendments
Why are albums locked so quickly? I Only added an album a few hours ago with the intention of returning to it later to add track/song titles and I can't because it has been locked before I was finished. Perhaps albums should be left unlocked for a couple of weeks or longer.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/27/2016 21:30
  • Post subject:
Which album are you referring to?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 01/27/2016 21:31
  • Post subject: Re: Corrections / Amendments
iancrockert141 wrote:
Why are albums locked so quickly? I Only added an album a few hours ago with the intention of returning to it later to add track/song titles and I can't because it has been locked before I was finished. Perhaps albums should be left unlocked for a couple of weeks or longer.

I think you need a certain number of moderator points before you have access to locked albums?
Satie

• Posted: 01/27/2016 21:40
  • Post subject:
I don't know if I agree that albums should be left unlocked for a certain period of time, especially not a period so long as two weeks, but I like RYM's example of the person who originally added the album having a bit of wiggle room on editing it without moderator approval for some amount of time after first adding it to the database.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/27/2016 21:55
  • Post subject:
I will say this...we've been running at about a week behind for albums that are not moderated immediately by the user who entered them. Which is far beyond what it's been in the past, but that's where it is now. What you may be running into is people working data moderation from the top instead of the bottom, which could be the cause of someone doing your albums soon after your exclusive time of one hour is up. I always work from the oldest to newest...when things are behind, as they have been recently, you won't run into that from me...but I'm not the only one doing the work.

As for the one hour, in a perfect world, and as it has been in the past, the idea is to get things done in a timely manner so that you can have the albums on your charts with tracklists and cover art in place, not so you have a long period of time to do them at your leisure. AM has determined that an hour is fair...I agree with that wholly. I frequently add albums to the database, and I have never once had an issue with not being able to enter the details because the hour has expired and someone beat me to it. It's a good system, and a fair one. If you enter an album and want the mod points for it, you should do the entries immediately. It realistically takes no more than 5 minutes for a 30 track box set...a single, 12 track album should take you about a minute or two. Faster for you, as you seem to not do any of the album covers.

For those who are helping with data moderation on albums that you yourself did not enter...thank you. And it may be helpful in this specific instance if you work oldest entered to newest instead of grabbing from the top. The older ones should be priority anyway.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 01/27/2016 21:59
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
I like RYM's example of the person who originally added the album having a bit of wiggle room on editing it without moderator approval for some amount of time after first adding it to the database.

Agreed, it's currently an hour (I think?) but a bit more time would be beneficial, especially in the cases of significant chart updates with numerous new albums for example.

Speaking of corrections, any idea why this the new Jesu / Sun Kil Moon album is still suspect? Something seems to have gone wrong there...

Jesu / Sun Kil Moon by Jesu / Sun Kil Moon

• Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 01/27/2016 22:04
  • Post subject:
I think an hour is fair, and I also agree that the point shouldn't be calling dibs on points or something by filling the database with garbage that you'll eventually get around to adding. My point, which might have departed from the OP due to initial misunderstanding of what they were suggesting, was that those without Data Moderator privileges can do their edits within the allotted one hour and, as far as I know, get locked out once they save, having to then merely request changes rather than being able to apply them. This puts added stuff in the queue for data moderators with the discretion to approve or deny changes because someone clicked Submit too early. But maybe I'm not familiar with that infrastructure - the few times I've worked up from 0 points, I've been a data moderator within a day or so of starting my account.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/27/2016 22:05
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
Agreed, it's currently an hour (I think?) but a bit more time would be beneficial, especially in the cases of significant chart updates with numerous new albums for example.

Speaking of corrections, any idea why this the new Jesu / Sun Kil Moon album is still suspect? Something seems to have gone wrong there...

Jesu / Sun Kil Moon by Jesu / Sun Kil Moon

Right now, if people work from the bottom up, it should not be an issue.

As for the album, I can't unlock it, and I can't see a reason why it should be locked. I noted the album for AM, and I will send him a PM as well.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 01/27/2016 22:13
  • Post subject:
I think deep in the website's code, it just couldn't bring itself to allow people to spread the untruth that Sun Kil Moon and Jesu make albums that could be considered the Best Ever. Razz
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 01/27/2016 22:14
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
I think an hour is fair, and I also agree that the point shouldn't be calling dibs on points or something by filling the database with garbage that you'll eventually get around to adding. My point, which might have departed from the OP due to initial misunderstanding of what they were suggesting, was that those without Data Moderator privileges can do their edits within the allotted one hour and, as far as I know, get locked out once they save, having to then merely request changes rather than being able to apply them. This puts added stuff in the queue for data moderators with the discretion to approve or deny changes because someone clicked Submit too early. But maybe I'm not familiar with that infrastructure - the few times I've worked up from 0 points, I've been a data moderator within a day or so of starting my account.

I have rarely seen a situation where someone has had to request a change that they couldn't make themselves. As far as I'm aware, new users are not locked out once they save...AM would have to clarify that. As for the OP, he is already a level 8 user, and will surely be at data moderator status quickly if not already.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website