Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2016 23:04
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
Pretty sure literally no one else uses that or has any clue what you mean with that term.

Oh, sorry. I assumed that the onamonapea-ness (am I spelling that right?) spoke for itself, but in this context, I basically mean "shock value". We like the term "experimental" because we think there will be cool explosions or weird stuff happening. I don't think it necessarily is just to feel "cultured".
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/22/2016 23:14
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
There's a record store in my hometown that has a "left-field" section, that's essentially just a bunch of weird stuff that's more difficult to categorize. Things just feel like they should be there, without a set definition for why.

This. My local record shop's 'experimental' section is fucking great.
FlorianJones

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2016 23:45
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
onamonapea-ness (am I spelling that right?)

No.

On a quasi related note to this topic, I have a question I've been meaning to ask you guys for a while now regarding avant-garde and/or experimental music. That question is "How do you rate avant-garde music in relation to more standard popular music?" This is a website based entirely around categorically ranking music as it relates to other music, so I assume everyone here has some way that they go about doing it. I find it really difficult though when you take something like William Basinki's Disintegration Loops and try to compare it to Is This It by The Strokes. I think Disintegration Loops is an excellent piece of conceptual art, but I don't particularly have any desire to listen to it when I go to put some music on. So, even though I find a lot of avant-garde stuff to be really great art, I don't really listen to avant-garde stuff more than a couple times, so I have chosen to leave it off my overall chart entirely. Does anyone with both a lot of popular music and avant-garde music on their chart have any explanation they can give to me as to how they compare the two for their charts?
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/22/2016 23:48
  • Post subject:
TannerVHalv wrote:
Does anyone with both a lot of popular music and avant-garde music on their chart have any explanation they can give to me as to how they compare the two for their charts?

Music is music.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2016 23:48
  • Post subject:
As hard as it may be to believe, I actually really enjoy the experimental stuff I rate highly, at least in the moment. In fact, I sometimes have the opposite problem with it, where I don't have enough reason to rate it high beyond the fact that it moves me. It's certainly hard for me to make some zeitgeist piece on Georg Haas, but that doesn't make In Vain any less astonishing. So whatever rating I give it is based on the music alone.

Last edited by Applerill on 02/22/2016 23:49; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 02/22/2016 23:49
  • Post subject:
TannerVHalv wrote:
Does anyone with both a lot of popular music and avant-garde music on their chart have any explanation they can give to me as to how they compare the two for their charts?

all of my evaluation of music has to do with this obscure and scientifically rigorous criterion called "how good it sounds to me."

Tap wrote:
Pretty sure literally no one else uses that or has any clue what you mean with that term.

i'm also pretty sure that the three or four times Charlie has been asked to define the term, he either refuses to or changes the definition slightly.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2016 23:51
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:

i'm also pretty sure that the three or four times Charlie has been asked to define the term, he either refuses to or changes the definition slightly.

Sawwy. Like another word I've been using lately, "poop-vie", it's still really amorphous as I figure out what I exactly mean by it. But in the context of explaining why some people get "boners" to "experimental" tags on RYM, I think "boom boom boom" is a pretty appropriate answer just by the way it sounds.

(Also, if these Point of Discussion threads have proven anything to us, it's that defining words is a lot harder than you'd think)
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 02/23/2016 00:01
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
all of my evaluation of music has to do with this obscure and scientifically rigorous criterion called "how good it sounds to me."

My ratings are about 54% enjoyment, 17% personal impact, 14% replayability, 12% mood based, and 8 percent trying to fit in.

Also charlie if it's as problem you could just avoid that, yeah? There was a femtosecond in middle school that friends and I started referring to things we liked as "chickety china" in reference to an inside joke, but it took us probably less than a day to realize that using words that only have meaning to a small group, then having to clarify, is far less rewarding than just calling something "good" or "bad".

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 02/23/2016 00:05
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
(Also, if these Point of Discussion threads have proven anything to us, it's that defining words is a lot harder than you'd think)

Sure, but coining them has the benefit of being able to spend time articulating what you mean (at the very least to yourself) by a new phrase before just using it. But, shumperknickels. Do as you bunknonk.
FlorianJones

United States

• Posted: 02/23/2016 00:50
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
all of my evaluation of music has to do with this obscure and scientifically rigorous criterion called "how good it sounds to me.".

I guess I should have been a little clearer. What I'm saying is that I really enjoy both avant-garde and popular music, but I get very different types of enjoyment out of the two, and I don't know how to compare those different forms of enjoyment. To try and put it in totally non-musical terms, I love Marcel Duchamp's "Fountain." it is probably one of the most important artworks of the 20th century and it was huge in the deconstruction of traditional notions of art. I don't really want to look at it all day though, I don't get a ton of joy from looking at it, it is just a urinal. On the other hand, I could sit in front of a Rothko painting and look at it all day. His pieces have a lot of great emotion to them. Therefore the joy I get from these two pieces is super different, and so while I love them both, I really have no way to compare them.

Maybe you already answered that too by saying "how good it sounds to me." but in saying that do you mean that you never rank anything based on the quality of conceptual notions behind a piece of music, and you only analyze the sound? Only evaluating based on sound works fine for some music, but it can be very reductive and unfair at times. It would be like me evaluating art only on how much I want to look at it, which would be a great disservice to Duchamp. Back to the topic at hand of experimental music, I think this area is where we most have to look at conceptual qualities as well as sonic ones. Some artists aren't trying to make music that necessarily sounds good, but rather challenges our notions of music, and does something never done before. I think we can appreciate that work even if it isn't conventionally pleasant listening.